Dunno, J P. When I clicked on his name at the top of this page, it goes to his profile page, and his 'book' is listed there. Clicked on it, and Chapter 1 came up. Bunch of reviews he hasn't acknowledged. So maybe you can't dust your hands just yet!
326 2018-02-22 00:30:06
Re: My new WIP novel, "The Battle for Control" (18 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
327 2018-02-21 04:22:39
Re: Politics and Religion Fights Forum (17 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
If it's a group, and you join it, the new post will show up on the right side of your screen just the same as any post in any of the groups you're a member of. It just won't be at the top in the premium group. Most of the other groups I'm a member of never have any posts, so if I unjoin the inactive ones, then the feed for the political one will be under the feed for premium.
Having said that, I don't really know what else I wanted to say. Just a passing thought. It's hell getting old! The only gold in my 'golden years' is the color of my urine. Go figure.
Cheers,
MJ
328 2018-02-20 21:40:38
Re: Politics and Religion Fights Forum (17 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
"If you build it, they will come." (Field of Dreams)
Just let us know when it's up, and I for one will join. I am sure there are others.
329 2018-02-20 21:26:17
Re: My new WIP novel, "The Battle for Control" (18 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
p. s. Please, folks, don't let this degenerate into another discussion about reciprocation. We got the point last week!
It's not about reciprocation. It's about this writer asking for help here in the forums, then getting that help, then disappearing. Even asking for support for his desire to become a writer. All lofty goals. I like helping people, but not unappreciative people or people who have changed their minds and no longer want my help. Wouldn't mind helping him in future endeavors, but not unless he at least responds and doesn't delete his Chapter 1 like he did his prologue.
So I guess he did save you some time, J.P. Good for you! LOL!
330 2018-02-20 16:23:49
Re: Politics and Religion Fights Forum (17 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
You can count me in.
331 2018-02-20 12:59:47
Re: My new WIP novel, "The Battle for Control" (18 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
In order to solidify my transition into a writing career, I've also started a Patreon where I'm accepting commissions from interested people. I did this just a couple days ago, and I've gotten two friends to pledge to me, so I wonder if any of you have done the same, and if so, how did you grow your platform? If my Patreon really takes off, I could use it to finance a number of ambitious projects that go beyond the creative writing I'm currently doing.
Hey, PulaaK,
What has happened to you? You posted a prologue. I spent a lot of time reviewing it and offering suggestions. It disappeared without so much as an acknowledgment from you that you'd received my review. The whole prologue is gone.
Then you posted Chapter 1. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I reviewed that, too, and took a lot of my time doing so. But... I have not received a response from you on that one either.
For the record, many of us on here have more important things to do than to review the work of someone who won't even acknowledge they've received or read our suggestions. You came on here specifically asking for help. You got it, and now nothing from you. You even mentioned transitioning into a writing career and that you'd started a Patreon accepting commissions from interested people.
My question: How can anyone take you seriously? No response indicates either you don't want our help, or you received it and don't like someone making suggestions.
Food for thought,
MJ
332 2018-02-16 14:48:50
Re: My new WIP novel, "The Battle for Control" (18 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
And one last thing: When someone spends their time reading and reviewing, and they leave comments, always acknowledge that you've at least read their reviews, whether you agree with them or not. I, for one, will read maybe two chapters of someone's work, and if they don't acknowledge with at least a 'thanks for your time,' I don't review them the 3rd time because it makes me think either they didn't want me to review their work, or they didn't like what they read. Since you're new here and may not know how this works, there's a box below the review labeled 'Save Reply.' That's how you acknowledge their time and effort. And that's how you get your reviewers to continue reviewing. Just wanted to throw that out to you FYI.
Cheers,
MJ
333 2018-02-09 23:56:38
Re: Chanticleer International Book Awards (10 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
That's fabulous news, Jack!! Kudos!!
334 2018-02-09 18:14:27
Re: My new WIP novel, "The Battle for Control" (18 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
A tyrant named Donnell who wants to conquer the U.S.and set up a dictatorship? Does he hold military parades? :-)
ROFL! "And every knee shall bow..."
335 2018-02-09 12:48:42
Re: My new WIP novel, "The Battle for Control" (18 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
We wouldn't want you to post everything at once. One chapter at a time is all we reviewers can handle. So why don't you go ahead and work toward the goal of letting us see Chapter 1 and we'll take it from there? Good luck.
336 2018-02-07 18:05:06
Re: What's With Some of the New Members (89 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Speaking from the perspective of a newbie, it's hard to review someone else's work and even harder when reviewing a more experienced writer. I've been giving plenty of reviews, but feel shy about doing so. We're talking here about reading and reviewing genres we maybe not so familiar with. It can be hard to fully appreciate a good story when it's not what you're used to reading, and so on. I'd figured that the point system, at least in quantitative terms has reciprocity built in. Lots of things to figure out as a newcomer.
Christine, you're one of the ones I was talking about whose writing has improved greatly since your first post! I love seeing that.
Don't be afraid to jump in and offer your thoughts on anyone's writing, no matter how long we've been here. That's how we learn. I've read many genres that I wouldn't ordinarily read, like fantasy and sci-fi. Those are not genres I would buy off a bookshelf, but all the genres share a common need for correct grammar, punctuation, and flow. I also am not a reader of poetry in my normal world, but I do read it here. I don't have what it takes to judge a poetic posting, wouldn't know a haiku from a hoo-doo, but I know if I like it after the first couple of lines. I can't offer much in the poetic style department except letting the writer know how it affected me.
The point system does have its rewards for reviewers, but there's nothing like seeing a new writer expand their base and read something they consider out of the realm of what they would normally read. If the first paragraph catches my attention, I will read the whole thing. I learn a lot from reading the work of others. It gives me ideas of how to express myself.
Keep writing!
MJ
337 2018-02-07 00:11:40
Re: What's With Some of the New Members (89 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
And then there are the ones who actually listen and take in all you have to offer, and it works. I read a lot of the newbies' work, too, and in some, I can see they've taken the advice given. It's been such a long time since I joined, so I don't remember, but is there a check-off list of things for new members to do to keep their reviewers coming back? If so, I hope 'at least say thank you for your time' is one of them. It at least lets us know they've read our reviews.
MJ
338 2018-02-05 13:17:44
Re: What's With Some of the New Members (89 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I opened Paula June's story around lunch time, got interrupted, so I left it open and tended to other things. I came back that evening, and it was still on my screen, so I read it and left an inline review. Then, when I hit enter, I got a message that the chapter had been deleted and account closed. I spent probably 30 minutes or more on that review, only to find out nothing I did mattered. I wondered the same thing, Randy. What the heck???
339 2018-02-03 12:57:14
Re: Devin Nunes’s Nothingburger (50 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I think in the end it will be proven that Trump manufactured the memo himself. He's capable of that, and he will do what it takes to get himself out of the Russia investigation. If he fires Rosenstein and replaces him with one of his henchmen, that person will fire Mueller without it looking like Trump did it. Anything to discredit the FBI works for Trump. If I were Mueller, I would arrest Trump today to keep that from happening. I don't know what he's waiting for.
340 2018-01-31 23:12:49
Re: Launch day! (8 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Congratulations, Jack! Job well done! Whoot! Whoot!
MJ
341 2018-01-31 18:35:02
Re: New Contest Next Week (8 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
'Yippy ti yi yo, get along little doggies...'
342 2018-01-31 01:02:26
Re: Lily (2 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Just finished a review for you. Hope you find it helpful! Welcome to the site!
Cheers,
MJ
343 2018-01-27 17:47:05
Re: Slight case of Cardiac Arrythymia (16 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Agh, sorry to hear this, Bill. Follow doctor's orders, though. We will survive here until you get back to us full time.
Positive thoughts headed your way!
MJ
344 2018-01-27 00:05:17
Topic: Pixel Point Graphics (0 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
The pay is peanuts, but here's a call for submissions if anyone is interested in adding to their published portfolio.
345 2018-01-24 02:20:39
Re: The Shred Group (55 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
People leaving, people calling people names, people pissed off. Stop. Just STOP.
What the hell is wrong with everybody? Go to your rooms and you shall have no pie. We're all adults here, folks. Nobody would guess it, but nonetheless, we are.
Join Shred. Don't join Shred. Nobody.gives.a.rat's.ass.if.you.do.or.don't.
This might be a good time to close this thread. Turn off the TV like you have to do when it's bedtime for a child.
Good night, John Boy.
346 2018-01-22 02:59:28
Re: The Shred Group (55 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
As for the Ann/Marilyn news, I’m thrilled to hear it!
Thanks, Gray! Me, too! ![]()
MJ
347 2018-01-22 02:57:29
Re: The Shred Group (55 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
BTW - I agree that Ann and Marilyn should have honorary free membership and am going to make that happen.
I am flattered beyond being flattered. Thank you, Sol. What a nice gesture.
MJ
348 2018-01-20 23:20:27
Re: A Slow Death (44 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
That problem has also been resolved. If a reviewer simply isn't able to provide considerate criticism then Premium isn't the right group for them and they are removed from it. Once that's done, they cannot review new members, unless new members elect to join the Shred Group.
God help a new member if they accidentally join the Shred Group, not knowing what it is. Will you put up an explanation of what it means to be a member of that group?
349 2018-01-20 18:35:10
Re: A Slow Death (44 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
So that still leaves the problem of reviewers leaving hurtful remarks in the other groups. That's the problem that needs to be addressed.
That problem has also been resolved. If a reviewer simply isn't able to provide considerate criticism then Premium isn't the right group for them and they are removed from it. Once that's done, they cannot review new members, unless new members elect to join the Shred Group.
Good deal!
350 2018-01-20 17:45:55
Re: A Slow Death (44 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Yeah, some reviews have gone over to the dark side. I'm going to fix the problem.
Not sure how your new shred group will fix that problem, Sol. A writer has to first be willing to post in that group, and I don't think most new writers have developed that thick a skin yet. So that still leaves the problem of reviewers leaving hurtful remarks in the other groups. That's the problem that needs to be addressed.
Like Clark said in an upper comment, she wanted to leave because of it. And she did for 3 months. I think it's a missed opportunity for us to grow as a writing community. Address the ones who are being so hurtful - and you know who they are - and ask them to tone it down a little. Else a new person won't stick around for long.