(217 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

It appears that the forums remember what I've seen on one device, but not on another.  When I log in on the flaptop, things I've already seen on the mobile show up as new (and presumably unread).

A thought on the logout dilemma: if, on relogin, you put up the overlay but kept the existing page and its content and returned to it after the login, you would at least protect the user from loss.  It would still be frustrating but not catastrophic.

(26 replies, posted in Fantasy/Magic & Sci-Fi)

My money is on Tazar, especially if Matthew represents House Thispit.

So the expected behavior is that reviewers are paid by the present length and authors pay each time they exceed a previous max?

What happens to inline reviews when the  associated text is deleted or edited?

I have two more display problems.  The first is on one of my pages: http://www.thenextbigwriter.com/connect … /njc-10491

The cover image for KHippolite's Mrs. Blue story has the summary displayed beneath it.  It appears that the problem is an extra quote in the image display HTML in his summary.  I have screen caps of both if you would like them.

Not sure how to fix this one except by a full syntax check of the HTML for display.  There's probably a package somewhere to do it; I don't know the tech that well.

The second is on this very page.  I got an IE pop-up reading "Do you want to debug this webpage?  This webpage contains errors that may prevent it from displaying or working correctly."  There were a couple of checkboxes (Do not show this message again, Use built-in script debugger) and the actual message text:

Line: 27

Error: Unable to get property 'msie' of undefined or null reference

Let me know if you want the screencaps.

Edit:  The msie problem just occurred here --http://www.thenextbigwriter.com/group-thenextbigwriter-premium-1-- as well.

(14 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Basic)

The Greeks didn't believe that one is a number.
The Romans didn't believe that zero is a number.
It took until about 1600 for for negative numbers to be accepted.
It took until nearly 1800 for imaginary numbers to be accepted (depending on the mathematician, of course.  Euler doesn't count.  Euler was ahead of everything.)

You've just broken the Classical Roman barrier!  smile

(256 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

amy s wrote:

Sol, take a deep breath.  Starting a new website is like warming up for the race.  The warmup is the time where you get loose and ready for the real competition.  Then the race starts, and everything gets crazy as people interact more. 

That said, here is an idea for making this website stronger.  Your color and type-face choices are harder to read than the previous bold type of the old website.  Since a large portion of your clients are over the age of 50 (Shuffles feet and looks around...no not me, uh-uh.), consider having a streamlined site for the vision impaired.  Use bigger/ darker type, delete the shelved book option to eliminate clutter, and keep the forum concept.  All you would have to do is make a starter link on the sign-on page from the home page with the moon picture. 

Easy for me to say since you've worked on this for a million years and now I'm worse than a back-seat driver by bringing this up now.  But I can see this idea paying off in spades.  Just something to think about. 

A

You don't even need a link, just one or more options in the user's profile.  I think that would be the more confentional way to do it, anyway, and it could be implemented with a CSS control instead of whole new pages.

SolN wrote:

This is the second time it's happened--I did some major rewrite to one of my chapters, and when I hit save, I got kicked out of the site, to a red-outlined sign-in page.  That wouldn't be so bad, but all my work was lost.  (I do have back-up.)   What happened?  Also, I don't see any help for republishing.  With chapters split to form more chapters, should I just publish as if it's a new work?  Thanks.  JP

There is a problem that the site login session isn't lasing long enough. If you are "idle" for a period of time, you could get kicked off. We are in the process of fixing this and should have it done by next week. Sorry about this.

Republishing has been changed. Now you can version a chapter. So, instead of republishing, you can create Chapter 1, v2, etc. This allows you to see the old and new chapters. You can then decide to activate or deactive the older version. Another option is to publish new chapters and re-order your old chapters. You can do this easily by dragging and dropping the chapters from the Publish/Content page.

Sounds like you should keep a second window/tab open and periodically refresh it.  If that times out, you can log in again there.  Whether that would preserve your other open tab I don't know, but it would give you a chance to save your work.

SolN wrote:

What happens if you shorten a chapter in the process of editing, and then add the text back?  Are you charged for the addback, or does it work on the basis of the max you've ever reached?

Post work and then delete, no change in cost points or review points. Then you add back, you will be charged for the add back.

So you cut 4,000 words down to 2,000 and reviewers still get credit for 4,000?  Then you add 1,500, to 3,500 and you are charged for adding 1,500 even though you're under the original?  Do reviewers get extra because you've paid extra?

(7 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I'm a curmudgeon and I'm proud!  Curmudgeons consider it their right to not have their applecarts jostled, and they return the favor.

Okay, I've got a screencap that demonstrates that the "html" generated is in fact the quoted text (IE's developer tools package).  How can I send it to you?

This occurs on the view-posted-comments page: http://www.thenextbigwriter.com/view-po … ent-264066

but not on the posting page: http://www.thenextbigwriter.com/posting … agic-18275

so it appears that you are using different display paths for the presentation of content.

njc wrote:

THERE MAY BE A SECURITY BUG HERE!
I reviewed The Mantle of Magic by Amy_s, chapter 9.1.  I copied sections from the chapter into my review and quoted them with double angle brackets.

I see only single angle brackets and no content.  I fear that the HTML generator has converted only the outer angle brackets to the ampersand-escapes, leaving the inner part to be sent to the browser as a tag.  I'm on the smartphone now and cannot check.

What happens if you shorten a chapter in the process of editing, and then add the text back?  Are you charged for the addback, or does it work on the basis of the max you've ever reached?

(25 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Reviews, yes.  But where are the replies to reviews? This part of the process is very valuable to me.

As far as going against design concepts ... why not let the user decide?

Are you designing an experience, which is necessarily subjective to the user, or a service, which can be described objectively?

(33 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Not quite a bug, but I don't know what to make of it.  When I read a review, I get a list of the author's connections.  Since these are the people with whom the author can exchange private messaages, isn't some of the message privacy peeled away?

This is another display that I'm not interested in, done in pictures that take far more space than needed.  But if you need to put something there, wouldn't a list of the author's (public) groups make more sense?

I'm a fanatic on screen space.  It's the way my computer and your website communicate with me, and it's a finite resource.

Images have another cost.  If I'm running on battery in a place where I'm relying on a slow wi-fi connection, they slow the page load considerably.

THERE MAY BE A SECURITY BUG HERE!
I reviewed The Mantle of Magic by Amy_s, chapter 9.1.  I copied sections from the chapter into my review and quoted them with double angle brackets.

I see only single angle brackets and no content.  I fear that the HTML generator has converted only the outer angle brackets to the ampersand-escapes, leaving the inner part to be sent to the browser as a tag.  I'm on the smartphone now and cannot check.

On being logged out automatically: when Yahoo Mail does this, it leave me on a page with the login form, and even leaves the name field filled in.  You put me on a page where I need at least one click to bring up a login form.

While hunting for a way to read authors' replies to reviews on the mobile, I clicked on the link for the chapter.  Instead, I was taken to the first chapter, with no warning that I would have to remember the secong part of the link (chapter) in order to finish the navigation.

(25 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

SolN wrote:

Speaking of writing feedback, I got a notice that three of my reviews have replies. How do I view those replies? Clicking on the notification link is useless, it just brings me to all the reviews I've done. I'd like to see the replies to my reviews right up front. Is there an easy way to do this, or does one have to go digging?

Your most recent reviews should be at the top. There should also be a filter for New reviews received although it looks like it was accidentally removed. Once you see your new reviews you can read and reply. I'll get it fixed.

Sol

I'm on my smartphone.  I can't see how to read review replies, old or new.  And what about new -replies received-?  The old site made these 'inbox' items immediately visible.

Whatever you come up with, you have two different interfaces I have to figure out and remember.  Neither seems intuitive.  Perhaps they would seem intuitive if groups and connections were my concern.  They are not.  I want to review and be reviewed.

Not a bug exactly, but a feature oddity.

Why does an old-style review need a title?  It's not necessarily an essay or a thesis.  I don't mind being able to put a title on, but needing one seems, well, needless.

Please allow an ESC to take down an overlay, instead of requiring the user to mouse over to that tiny X.  Keying is faster than mousing for such things.  If there's something that might be lost--say text entered--then a confirmation is appropriate.  Again, being able to use an arrow key ( [No] => [Yes] ) and a quick newline would make the operation faster and easier.

Not a wish, an attaboy! for putting the regular review panel next to a scrolling copy of the text of the work.

(9 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I'll definitely look for it.

This is an old problem, not a new one.  Time stamps appear to be either in the originating user's time, or the site's time, not the time zone of the user reading them.  I haven't studied this part of web tech so I'm not sure where the solution would lie.

(9 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

SolN wrote:

Ouch!  This means that a review after a major revision earns no points!

Aren't you all sunshine.

Actually, we have built something else to handle this which I forgot to mention, a version system. If it is a major revision, post it as Version 2,3,4, or whatever. It is like a repost but even better because it doesn't cost 1.5x cost and you get to keep the older version archived.

Sounds good.  Does it apply to chapters or only to whole works?

I haven't figured out what connections are for except letting someone send me private mail.  On that basis, I should connect with as many people as possible, in which case I'll have everyone on the site in my  connect list.
In which case, why have the connections?

Oh, I guess I could send a private message in a connection request, asking the recipient to deny the request.  But that doesn't seem like how it was meant to work.