If you post to the Premium group, then everything requires points, so no problem. And the "free" group is being phased out (if not already) so there will be no more zero points. Simplest thing to do until all freebies are gone (if not already) is to post and read from the Premium group. Problem solved. Take care. Vern
1,351 2015-02-22 00:44:43
Re: points for some chapters of book, but not others (8 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Basic)
1,352 2015-02-17 13:24:49
Re: Question about newer drafts (4 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I have revised a story and changed the status from 2nd draft to final. A few reviewers expressed interest in seeing the story again after revisions. Will they be able to get points since I've changed the status? They really should - taking a second look can take as much time as a first look and is often less fun, so they should certainly get credit for their generosity. Sol, I recommend bringing back the re-publish option, too. I don't mind paying extra points. After significant revisions it's nice to get not only a second round of comments from reviewers but a first round from people not influenced by the earlier version.
You could just publish it again with the same Title + (revised) which would also be cheaper than the old republish option. Since you don't want new readers influenced by the earlier version, it should be perfect as they would not see the earlier reviews or original material. Just a suggestion. Take care. Vern
1,353 2015-02-16 23:47:43
Re: An Apology (16 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Can anyone other than the author even see that button? I've never once clicked it so I don't know.
.
I don't think anyone else can see it. I've never seen it on reviews other than mine. And I just checked again; it's not there. Take care. Vern
1,354 2015-02-04 13:17:51
Re: Republishing... (5 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Hello, John, Well, yeah, they did blow it after it being handed to them on a silver platter so to speak, but to the point at hand:
There is no "republish" on this new site. Simply edit your story and "publish" it again as a new version of the same story. Take care. Vern
PS: Welcome back to the land of the living.
1,355 2015-01-26 23:42:05
Re: Sharing an Ego Boo (14 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Congrats! Perhaps some day I or we all can say we know how you feel; still have my fingers crossed for the last submission. Take care. Vern
1,356 2015-01-26 23:16:48
Re: Strongest Start Competition 2015 is Launched (33 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Yes, that is correct. I even went back and added "revised" to the title just in case. Thanks. Take care. Vern
Hi Vern,
I see the problem. It is not posted to TheNextBigWriter Premium. This is the group sponsoring the contest so it must be posted there to be entered.
Sol
I clicked the box for TheNextBigWriter Premium to post on three different occasions. Why else would it tell me the cost of points? I'll try again, but what else can I do?
PS: I just tried again and it worked this time. Still don't know what the difference was. Thanks. Take care. Vern
1,357 2015-01-26 21:41:11
Re: Strongest Start Competition 2015 is Launched (33 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Hi Vern,
I checked it out and it should work. Let me talk to the tech guys about it. The title shouldn't make a difference.
Just to confirm, you published it as a new book, right?
Thanks,
Sol
Yes, that is correct. I even went back and added "revised" to the title just in case. Thanks. Take care. Vern
1,358 2015-01-26 18:37:35
Re: Strongest Start Competition 2015 is Launched (33 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Hello, Sol, I've tried to enter The Silver Mist in the Strongest Start Competition 2015, but it keeps tellng me the publishing date is too old. I deleted the previous chapters and published the three new ones a a new book or at least attempted. It told me it cost 25.97 points which I have to spare and clicked publish but it still shows the old publish date when I click to enter the contest. What else do I need to do? Would it help to simply change the title? Does it still consider it when the older one was deleted first. Thanks. Take care. Vern
1,359 2015-01-22 13:07:13
Re: Introduction (13 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Hello everyone my name is Tyler, and this is my first time ever putting my writing out there. Not since the disturbing era of teenage fan fiction have I attempted to put anything of mine online. Gripping paranoia of rebuke holds me back more often than I'd like to admit. I would love for someone to show me the ropes around here, thank you very much.
Shearluck
Hello, Shear, good thing about the site is that no one can see you shaking in your boots or whatever, so test the waters and you might be surprised at the results. You will find the good, bad, and ugly comes out in reviews and you must decide what is relevant to your vision of the story. We all have opinions like some other anatomical structure, but yours is the most important. We as a community only point you in different directions to explore; that is where you learn and can also teach. Welcome and good luck. Take care. Vern
1,360 2015-01-21 03:20:52
Re: Blame It On The Alcohol, Says Genesis (51 replies, posted in HodgePodge)
Dragon actually a pre-install. I've never tried it. Do you use it, Vern?
No, I change my mind too many times when I'm thinking before writing something. With Dragon, I'd be speaking out and then it's on paper just to have to delete and go with my next thought. But a lawyer now, you always think before speaking, so might work. Take care. Vern
1,361 2015-01-21 03:15:26
Re: input appreciated (8 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Basic)
Crapacetic? Take care. Vern
1,362 2015-01-21 00:54:25
Re: NY Times Article on the Benefits of Writing (4 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Actually, writers who are girls don't even need to use makeup. They look pretty anyway only because they write. Wonderbras aren't needed either.
Kiss,
Gacela.
Good, I prefer them without bras anyway. Take care. Vern
1,363 2015-01-20 13:23:51
Re: just got burned by the "no inline reviews for free members" issue (48 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Oh me, oh my, clickity click, too many clicks. Hmm, just wondering how many clicks folks make to type out their reviews as opposed to the minimal clicks to open a tiny box to read what someone has spent the time clicking, clicking, clicking, in order to help improve the work being reviewed. Let's see, in typing class we did exercises by typing as fast as we could without regard to mistakes, just clicking away. Well if you do that, it is amazing how many clicks one can make - several a second. So I'm guessing that the time to click on a great big highlighted area (even if only one word) is kind of like typing as fast as you can since you don't have to be concerned about making a mistake. Extrapolating, the cumulative time to click on 10, 20, 30 little boxes or so is like maybe a few seconds compared to the say 30 minutes to an hour someone spends clicking to write that review. And the wear and tear on the knuckles is probably proportional too; jeez, I got cramps with that last review, lol. So, yeah, I'm not really impressed with the clickity click objections to inline reviews.
If Sol wants to make all the little boxes open at once or put them on the side, no problem, I'm certainly not adverse to making things easier, but until that time, you have choices folks. Use whichever method works for you, or better yet, use whichever method works for any reviewers you might have. That's my few clicks; well, a whole lot of clicks, but guess what, it didn't really take that long. Take care. Vern
1,364 2015-01-18 15:49:58
Re: just got burned by the "no inline reviews for free members" issue (48 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Inline review easier for reviewer or author? Obviously a rhetorical question. It depends on where you are coming from. We are each going to do things which make our own lives easier presumably. If I am reviewing I will do it the best way for me whether old school or inline - I actually do both at times depending upon the piece being reviewed and how detailed I wish to be; I generally read the entire work first and determine my overall input at that time.
If I am an author receiving a review, then I don't care which method it is because I am the recipient of someone's time and effort to help me and will not look the proverbial gifthorse in the mouth so to speak. If it is best for the reviewer of my work to use an inline review I will gladly suffer what some consider a burden to open the highlighted areas one at a time and decide if the suggestion, if any, merits my changing something in the story. If it does I'll remember it, write it down, or copy and paste it to a cumulative page where each and every one can be gone over with a fine tooth comb as often as need be.
BTW, if I should give anyone an inline review which is too burdensome for them, please let me know and I will cease and desist; would hate to waste both of our times, especially mine. Take care. Vern
1,365 2015-01-18 06:07:56
Re: just got burned by the "no inline reviews for free members" issue (48 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I joined the old site simply to get impartial reactions/reviews of my writing. I learned a lot in the process and continue to learn and hopefully pass on some tidbits here and there.
As to the regular vs inline review: They both are useful of course, but I would disagree with anyone who puts limits on the inline compared with a regular review - quite the opposite is true for me. There is nothing you can do in a regular review which can't be done as well or better in an inline and in less time. The inline offers the capability to comment on any single words, sentences, para, entire story/chapter as well as punctuation and the author knows exactly which unit you are referring to. You can comment on flow, dialogue, characters, plot, or anything else which could be covered in a regular review and do with more ease by not having to type or copy/paste the material you are commenting on. You can go back and edit the comments, or add completely new comments in a separate box should something new occur to you even after you have closed the review. You can comment on other peoples inline reviews and vice versa. You can get responses from the author and respond back and forth to make clarifications should you wish without having to go into a feedback forum or some type messaging system outside the original review.
As for free members not being able to see inline reviews, that should provide at least some minimal incentive to become a premium member once they understand the full potential of the inline review - I think most do not. I don't know if free members receive notification that they have gotten an inline review or not, but if not, they should to let them know they are missing a valuable part of the benefits provided by the site.
If you can't publish without points, the points system does indeed provide the impetus to review others at least until enough points have been accumulated to last your writing lifetime. By that time, many who might have been reluctant reviewers at first have learned to enjoy the review process in itself and will continue to review even if they don't need the points. Although there are those rare individuals who from the start give great reviews without regard to gathering points, for most it is a matter of "you get what you pay for" if for no other reason than the time factor involved and you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.
Take care. Vern
1,366 2015-01-18 01:17:53
Re: Blame It On The Alcohol, Says Genesis (51 replies, posted in HodgePodge)
I'm in a writing rut. I know where the story is going - sort of - in my head, and I'm feeling too lazy and too cold to write it down.
Buy "Dragon" and just speak into it while wrapped in a warm blanket. Take care. Vern
1,367 2015-01-17 13:08:54
Re: New forum features (9 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
More precisely, the blue bar. It's not clear whether they are like text links, where you have to hit the text, or whether they are buttons, with a region around the text that responds to the input.
Anywhere within the text it lights up and is clickable; outside the text it does nothing. Guess that would be a text-long defined button, lol. Take care. Vern
Edited to add: Except the "Show Subscribed Topics" which is the longest "button" already, extends slightly beyond the text, but whose counting; I mean, I should be able to hit somewhere in any of them even after a few too many drinks.
1,368 2015-01-17 00:16:52
Re: Site Bugs 2 (342 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
vern wrote:Quick answer because I don't have time right now to explore the possibilities, but a quick solution might be to do the procedure backward. Select the sentence and comment. Then click on the highlight for a second comment box and then just type the single word and comment on it; you can type a single word about as fast as you can highlight it or faster. Got to run. Good luck. Take care. Vern
This only works though if you realise that you want to comment on the whole sentence or paragraph before you comment on a single word! Paragraphs are the bigger issue as you can imagine. It's not ideal, but for most of it, you can make it work! Thanks Janet
That's true, but you can always get the new box and copy and paste the sentence/para on those hopefully rare occasions you comment on a single word first. I'll do some more experimenting and should I come up with another "solution" I'll let you know. Take care. Vern
1,369 2015-01-17 00:11:16
Re: New forum features (9 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
All good improvements and the "Show your posts" is a particularly great/useful enhancement. Thanks. Take care. Vern
1,370 2015-01-16 13:18:12
Re: Site Bugs 2 (342 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
vern wrote:SolN wrote:This cannot be done. You can't select text twice.
Actually, it can be done or at least it could be before the word limit was extended (haven't tried it since) because I did it in order to get all my comments in. I simply clicked on the already highlighted area and it produced another comment box. Take care. Vern
Heya Vern, what you are referring to can be done - i.e. you can add additional comments to the original selection by "clicking" on the highlighted text again. But this is different to what I'm referring to and I think the original query was about. And since I've only been using regular reviews, I've checked just to be sure. And what I've tried to do before, still can't be done.
For example if I'm reviewing the following sentence:
Vern has super powers becuse he can select text twice on TNBW.
Now I select "becuse" (only the single word) and leave a comment that it should be because. If I want to leave another comment, I can just click on the highlighted "becuse" and leave another comment. So far so good.
But now I realise I want to suggest a change to the sentence structure as a whole. If I try to select all the words of the whole sentence "Vern has super powers becuse he can select text twice on TNBW.", I get the following error message:
Bad selection
An annotation cannot contain another annotation.So that means I now have to get creative to explain what I'm trying to say by either adding a second comment to "becuse" or by selecting a part of the sentence that doesn't contain "becuse".
This is as clear as I can make it. Last try with other words!!!
Two guesses who the test case was!
JR
Quick answer because I don't have time right now to explore the possibilities, but a quick solution might be to do the procedure backward. Select the sentence and comment. Then click on the highlight for a second comment box and then just type the single word and comment on it; you can type a single word about as fast as you can highlight it or faster. Got to run. Good luck. Take care. Vern
1,371 2015-01-15 13:41:14
Re: Site Bugs 2 (342 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Oh, that I don't think can be done - selecting a word or section "twice", but Sol will be the best person to confirm whether it's a site or chrome thing. JR
This cannot be done. You can't select text twice.
Actually, it can be done or at least it could be before the word limit was extended (haven't tried it since) because I did it in order to get all my comments in. I simply clicked on the already highlighted area and it produced another comment box. Take care. Vern
1,372 2015-01-15 03:11:32
Re: Site Bugs 2 (342 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Agree with you vern all the way, but I'm referring to selecting say a word to comment, and then trying to select a larger section that now contain that word+comment. Won't let you do it, but I haven't done an in-line review for a while so it could have changed.
You can go back again after closing it out and highlight that area including the word to create another box beneath the first one and comment on it. Take care. Vern
Edited for PS: I used that method (highlighting the same text) before the word limit was extended to get all my comments in.
1,373 2015-01-15 00:18:24
Re: Site Bugs 2 (342 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
janet reid wrote:mbledsoe wrote:Hi Sol! When trying to "publish and review" or "publish and post" my chapters the buttons for said choices don't seem to be working. I'm using Google Chrome. The content transfers over from my clipboard quite nicely but doesn't want to save to the site. Is this a glitch?
Also, like Norm above I have a hard time just selecting one word for inline reviews. I have this problem with both my laptop, desktop and surface. Very frustrating.
My work around is to not select the whole word, but only the "middle" part. It then highlights the complete word automatically and works in general but obviously will still be a problem for 1-letter and 2-letter words. I use windows and google chrome.
Thanks Janet. I've been doing that but sometimes if there are two paragraphs that should be combined it selects the whole chunk and then tells me I have a bad selection because there is already another inline in the paragraph selected. I've been doing my best to explain to the author what I mean but it's just a frustrating technicality of the page. My bigger concern is not being able to "submit and review" my writing. So far the only way I've been able to publish work is using my laptop. The funny thing is that they are both using Google Chrome so I really don't know what's going on. Maybe a firewall issue?
You should be able to highlight more than one section within a para as I've done it on many occasions. It might help if you highlight from right to left vs left to right and maybe skip at least a sentence (or several words anyway) between the two portions highlighted. I have had the problem you refer to on occasion when it would highlight more than I wanted, but could mostly get around it going right to left though sometimes it just insists on putting in extra words which I simply accept and go on, trying to clarify in my statements. Take care. Vern
1,374 2015-01-15 00:04:51
Re: Site bugs 2 - the derailed version (28 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
vern wrote:I agree the off topic posts should be deleted from the original Site Bugs 2 thread and have deleted mine. Ladies and gentlemen start your engines, the track has been cleared of foreign debris. Take care. Vern
Edited to delete remark about not being able to use the "quote" box on the copied/pasted version; seems now you can. How did you do that?
"Start your engines" made me laugh!
If I understand the question correctly, and forgive us for going off topic
, I had both threads open on separate tags. On the original thread, I selected the "Quote" option as if I was going to reply, CTRL-A (select all) then CTRL-C (copy). In the comment box on the new thread, CTRL-V (paste). If this is not what you've meant, you'd have to ask again using smaller words. If you could slow your typing speed, that would be even better!
I take that as meaning you did each post as a separate copy/paste. That's a lot of work; I had assumed you copied and pasted the entire thread (relevant part) at once which I've done before, but it didn't provide the links to the quote boxes; i.e. you couldn't click the quote box for each post and get the quote and leave a comment within the same box - that's the way the thread appeared when I first opened it, without the quote boxes for each separate post. That's as slow as I can type, lol. Take care. Vern
1,375 2015-01-14 13:21:11
Re: Site bugs 2 - the derailed version (28 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I agree the off topic posts should be deleted from the original Site Bugs 2 thread and have deleted mine. Ladies and gentlemen start your engines, the track has been cleared of foreign debris. Take care. Vern
Edited to delete remark about not being able to use the "quote" box on the copied/pasted version; seems now you can. How did you do that?