Using numbers and letters as a username reveals a good possibility of a scam. Take care. Vern

2

(9 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Sounds like Supergirl got a little Kryptonite splinter so hang in there and it will work its way out so you can grab it with tweezers and dispose of it properly. In the meantime, wishing the best of the holiday season and looking forward to your return. Take care. Vern

3

(12 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

vern wrote:
Marilyn Johnson wrote:

I guess we must hear from our fearless leader…. Sol, are you listening??

My guess is that he is too busy fixing the site to orchestrate a contest at this time, but one never knows. As my mom always said, "If you want to get something done, assign it to the busiest person you know." Take care. Vern

Reverse psychology at work; see post above about contest. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Take care. Vern

4

(12 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Marilyn Johnson wrote:

I guess we must hear from our fearless leader…. Sol, are you listening??

My guess is that he is too busy fixing the site to orchestrate a contest at this time, but one never knows. As my mom always said, "If you want to get something done, assign it to the busiest person you know." Take care. Vern

5

(12 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Can I take my own picture? Oh, never mind; I probably couldn't get it by the censors. Take care. Vern

6

(10 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Best of luck to you going forward. Take care. Vern

7

(58 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

SolN wrote:

Sol, I haven't heard anything since my post about my account a few days ago and since you have responded to others since that time, I thought I should make another attempt to correct my account. As stated earlier, I was able to enter the sight through an old email address, but it doesn't show my account paid up since June and therefore I'm stuck as a basic member rather than a Premium member. I can't find anywhere in billing or anywhere else to change my email to the correct address. Please let me know how to remedy this situation. Thanks. Take care. Vern

Hi Vern,

I sent you a private message. Let me know and I'll take care of it.

Sol

Done. Thank you. Take care. Vern

8

(58 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Sol, I haven't heard anything since my post about my account a few days ago and since you have responded to others since that time, I thought I should make another attempt to correct my account. As stated earlier, I was able to enter the sight through an old email address, but it doesn't show my account paid up since June and therefore I'm stuck as a basic member rather than a Premium member. I can't find anywhere in billing or anywhere else to change my email to the correct address. Please let me know how to remedy this situation. Thanks. Take care. Vern

9

(58 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I could not sign in under my current account so I had to use an old email address to get in where it told me my account had expired and wouldn't let me do anything else until I downgraded to the free basic to get a message in here. So, assuming, the site is running to some extent, how do I get my current membership with current email address and paid up premium restored? Thanks. Take care. Vern

No reputable agent will open an attachment unless specifically requested by them. Take care. Vern

Dirk B. wrote:

Sol, I tried searching among my posted inline reviews and the control doesn't work. I tried searching by title, chapter number, and based on whether someone had replied. None of those have any affect on the result set.


Thanks
Dirk

I just checked and mine worked. I only tried titles but it worked. I hit the search button and then typed in the title where it asked for titles and hit search again and it posted the results. Take care. Vern

I believe either one would be fine in a novel setting, but why haggle when you can simply eliminate the indecision with: "He didn't dare wait for a dicey opportunity to stab the man." or such. Take care. Vern

mikejackson1127 wrote:

A horror contest with SPAM being the medium of evil. Maybe the Devil tricks many with SPAM and a super group of anti-spammers is called in. I agree this sounds Scooby-dooish, but more plot points can be added. Not sure 'bout the minimum of words, but the max could be 2500 to 3000, maybe.

Too, everyone who participates in this contest gets 25 points. YAY!

Or comedy horror: people get cursed and become like Ken and Barbie. One-dimensional, too perfect in some ways, but not good for much, overall. Or maybe it's just a case of young, good-looking people being hypnotized and made into mindless lackeys.

The contest is already up. Take care. Vern

Marilyn Johnson wrote:

Did I miss Strongest Start this year?

Nope. Didn't happen. take care. Vern

John Hamler wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of The People vs Donald Trump. Or The People vs Karen, Judge Rudy Giuliani presiding. But to have a couple of Hobbit cops sweating Gollum down at the station house might be fun, too. The possibilities are limitless even if the contest itself is inherently limited.

I could certainly work in a few good cuss words -- made up or not -- in a Trump trial, lol. Take care. Vern

George FLC wrote:
vern wrote:
George FLC wrote:

How about writing stories or poems so that kids and grand kids can read it. Made up cuss words would be funny but I can see them morphing into similar renditions of current cuss words.

A word by any other name is still a word, no better or worse than it's ability to put forth your message. If you called the rose a bastard, it would still be a rose. Cuss words only become cuss words because people decide they are, not by any inherent evil. And please don't answer with some pretense of the Bible condemning them or such; you will lose that argument of taking the Lord's name in vain. But to each their own. Take care. Vern


Good points, however, if I call my boss a bastard then he interprets it badly. He's still my boss but now an upset boss. We can leave the Bible out of this if you want. I just like writing to generally be classy. Granted that talking about the Inquisition and Holocausts doesn't leave much room for class! But I like being uplifted by the words that I read. The biggest problem in what I'm saying is that most everyone swears and how realistic do I want characters in my writing to sound? But I just don't think that it takes tons of talent to sound like everyone else. It takes work to lift up, build up, elevate the the environment around you. I'm new to this website and I do find it entertaining and this discussion has been interesting as well. Thanks for your honesty, Vern. I've enjoyed this. I feel good about this discussion! George

An intelligent response. I disagree that the subject matter wouldn't be classy, but that's merely my opinion. Thank you for further clarifying yours. Take care. Vern

George FLC wrote:

How about writing stories or poems so that kids and grand kids can read it. Made up cuss words would be funny but I can see them morphing into similar renditions of current cuss words.

A word by any other name is still a word, no better or worse than it's ability to put forth your message. If you called the rose a bastard, it would still be a rose. Cuss words only become cuss words because people decide they are, not by any inherent evil. And please don't answer with some pretense of the Bible condemning them or such; you will lose that argument of taking the Lord's name in vain. But to each their own. Take care. Vern

How about something where you must use at least X-number of creative made-up cuss words for effect and imagination. You know I get tired of the same old shit all the time, lol. Take care. Vern

19

(6 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Ho, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum. To all a Mer4y Christmas and partially sober New Year. Take care. Vern

You can cut them all with no ill effect. Let the words and accompanying situation show the exclamation. Much more effective than punctuation. Take care. Vern

I believe Flo was the grandmaster when they were shown. Wherever she is now, she had like a gazillion points, nobody even close. Take care. Vern

I agree with CJ, it sounds like Elrond is merely the narrator and wouldn't be in quotes so the dialogue would proceed as normal. If that is not the case, then you might consider making it the case. Take care. Vern

If I told you, it wouldn't be secret. Now, non-secret sources are different, but if I kept those to myself, then they might become secret also, which brings us  back full circle and round and round we go. Nonetheless, if you read all these various forums, which are secret to those who don't know about them, then though they are not really secret, they might provide some non-secret secret sources as long as you don't tell anyone where they came from. Just don't tell anyone I told you, okay. Take care. Vern

Dirk B. wrote:

The Dune teaser trailer dropped today and the official trailer comes out tomorrow. I'm dying to see that film (it's the best-selling sci-fi novel of all time), but I'm very hesitant about going (in December). A friend of mine said, where he is, they run at about 25% capacity and people wear masks. I suspect a lot of people lower those masks to eat popcorn, though. Although Canada was very compliant with all the quarantine rules, we've had a number of people take stupid risks since the economy began to reopen, primarily by going to events involving large groups, minimal distancing, and too few masks.

Does anyone still go to the movies?

I assume this is a remake of Dune from several years ago. That one was a big disappointment compared to the book. Perhaps with the newer technologuy, it will improve. Dune is still my favorite Sci-Fi novel -- the trilogy. Take care. Vern

Quote from English Grammar: "And so, in usual practice, don't capitalize the common noun. However, if you want to achieve the specific effect of highlighting the proper noun you are referring to, go ahead and capitalize."

Take care. Vern