Bobbie.R.Byrd wrote:
B Douglas Slack wrote:

One flaw in the ointment is obvious, Bobbie. This has happened to me on several offings of my own. The first few chapters get quite a few in-line reviews, which is a good thing, pointing out things I should know better to have written down. However, as I progress (and learn from those reviews by not allowing the misteaks to creep into my chopters) there is a receding amount of flaws to point out (hopefully). Thus we have fewer in-line reviews.

There is also a requirement to find 5 points you wish to review in-line. There have been a few times I start out with an in-line review, find less than 5, and cancel out to opt for a normal review of 50 words or more. It never seemed fair to me to make questionable points simply to add up to five.

Like you, if I find a story I wish to follow all the way through, it could very well be that I "catch up" by reading, say, three chapters and then commenting (with 50 words or more) as a regular review of the third chapter instead of in-line.

There was another thread somewhere in this forum with a similar suggestion but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Bill

Hey Bill.  This is why I put in the caveat of "no more than 50% are regular reviews". And inline comments don't have to be nit picks or flaws or echoes or misplaced commas. I personally like comments about the characters' personalities, about plot twists, about descriptions, comments on whether the reader likes something or dislikes it. One can come up with all sorts of comments that may be helpful that aren't correcting anything but do fulfill the quota on number of comments to get the assigned points for the individual reading.

Thanks for chiming in

I would agree that finding five things to comment on should be a no brainer. If you can't find any "mistakes" then find something you particularly like and comment on that. This ain't rocket science folks. Take care. Vern

I like roundabouts, my wife hates them. So, it depends on your sense of logic I suppose, me being the more logical one of course. People in the roundabout definitely have the right of way and any home rule to the contrary is thus deemed diabolical at best. The roundabout eliminates those stupid four way stops where people sit there and try to figure out whose turn it is until they all decide at once it is their turn. If you have more than one lane, you simply stay in the inside lane until approaching your exit and then go there. If you miss your exit just go around again and get into the proper lane before you get to your exit. This ain't rocket science folks unless of course you go to one of those backward places where they drive on the left and then it's a free for all. Take care. Vern

(20 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Congrats on the full house. Take care. Vern

(11 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

The grammar zombie rises from the forum graveyard, lol. Take care. Vern

Congrats! Persistence pays off. Take care. Vern

Congrats! Hope it works out, Take care. Vern

There are no new plots, only seven or so depending upon the mdel you wish to follow. There are, however, countless ways of representing those limited number of plots with "ideas" which offer unlimited variations. The story of Christ returning in whatever form has been around since the original and I expect there will be many more such stories over time. It is the unique way presented with all the details which will make each a different story. Good luck with your particular penning. Take care. Vern

I ain't never read or wrote a perfect story, but I'm sure it's just over the next hill at the end of that rainbow. Take care. Vern

Glad you made it through. Hopefully I will never get a more personal definition of "wound dehiscence"; sounds like the Nightmare on Hell Street. Take care. Vern

Something intriguing though it might be too complicated -- don't know, I'm a computer dummy. Anyway, how about the author can designate double or triple points for what they consider an extraordinary review with the caveat it would be anonymous. How to do that you say. Well, the bonus points would only be added after a certain period of time or a certain number of reviews of different authors so that the reviewer would not know from whence the points came so as to minimize the pat my back, I'll pat yours reciprocation for simply saying you really loved it, etc.  Might entice a reviewer to put more into each review, who knows. Just a thought. Take care. Vern

I'm not familiar with the term, but then again, most people aren't familiar with the title of my novel, Root Hog or Die, so my opinion at first glance would be keep the title you like until an editor/publisher requests you to rethink it for marketing reasons. If your key market would recognize the significance of the title, then that is half the battle. Of course, if you do want to attract a more diverse audience, then some modification might be in order. Within that mindset, you could have a sub-title which could clarify to some extent the origins of the term. Also the book cover and or blurb could help convey the subject matter in a way to potentially attract a more diverse audience. At any rate, I would suggest sticking with what you feel comfortable with and let it play out as you receive more reaction from readers, especially if you draw that segment you don't think you will merely from the title. Just my opinion. Good luck. Take care. Vern

njc wrote:

The reviewer may not see it until the review is begun.

Then, just maybe, they should not start a review while asleep at the wheel. Take care. Vern

(17 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Hope all goes well. If you put a Band-Aid on the tip of your finger, it won't get as sore with all that typing. Take care. Vern

Just my humble opinion, but I think the antagonist should be introduced as soon as possible to reinforce the role of the protagonist. What would the protagonist be doing all the time the reader is waiting for his antagonist to appear and create conflict which he must resolve. But there is more than one way to skin a cat if you can hold it still long enough without getting scratched. Take care. Vern

K.dot wrote:

That's interesting. So if I get flagged by reviewers on a sensitivity issue and delete a chapter, it lives on forever over there? yikes

The internet is like zombie land where things never die forever. Take care. Vern

njc wrote:

But not from catalytic converters in the recent past.  You spoke of a present reality.

There are millions of cars with older catalytic converters still on the road AND even the newer style converters go bad over time. I believe an engineer should understand that the past is still part of the present. Take care. Vern

njc wrote:
vern wrote:

You obviously haven't been behind a vehicle that had a defective catalytic converter

Not since about '85 or '86, and I drive 30,000+ miles a year.  Where do you live?  (Or where do you drive?)  I drive in NJ, NY (including NYC), PA, occasionally CT and MA, sometimes west to Ohio, sometimes down to NC, either by I95 or I81.  I haven't run into any sulfur smells except around the Linden CoGeneration Plant (the skeletal remains of Exxon Bayway) or, rarely, when a truck smokes its tires in a panic stop.

Regardless of where or when you smelled it, you admit you did, thus, you prove my point that the "scrubbing" technology doesn't always work. Take care. Vern

njc wrote:

The fuel for automobiles is desulfered before it is sold.  Different scenario.

You obviously haven't been behind a vehicle that had a defective catalytic converter. And beyond that, if you read the entire statement, it was merely an example of a case where the "scrubbing" you mentioned didn't always work, whether it be coal plant or other system. And the point of that being, that if the "scrubbers" were the reason for no smell from the coal plant, then it is highly unlikely they worked perfectly over extended periods of time in which there were no complaints or evidence of the sulfur smell under consideration. Ergo, the coal didn't emit a sulfur smell while burning as questioned by the initial post. Take care. Vern

njc wrote:

A coal-burning steam plant probably scrubs its exhaust, getting both sulfur (as gypsum) and fine-powder silica (for concrete).

I'm sure they do, but so do catalytic converters. Ever been behind one that didn't work properly? That's the smell of technology not always working. Take care. Vern

Had coal burning stoves and furnaces as a kid and none smelled acrid or of sulfur. At this point in time, there is coal burning steam plant which I pass quite often and have never smelled anything. Take care. Vern

njc wrote:

Alternate reality sounds like either hallucinogens or politics.  Say, that might be a good pairing!

Same thing. Now, who is on second? Take care. Vern

Why don't you just call it Alternate Reality and you won't have to argue about who is in on first.  Take care. Vern

njc wrote:

Mistakes happen.  The goal is to help people avoid them.

So, you want to change things because someone makes a mistake instead of because it is actually a problem. Everyone makes mistakes, so should the site be changed for every mistake someone makes? I don't think so. If it is a true mistake and not simply because they refused to read the directions, then correct them just as has been pointed out over and over again. If someone points out a mistake in a story, the author may correct it or ignore it. If the author of a review points out that the reviewer should start with chapter one, then the reviewer may correct his "mistake" or ignore it. Either way, it is unnecessary to change an entire system every time someone makes a mistake, if you are blaming the problem on a simple mistake. If I make a mistake and review the same story twice and thus receive no points for the second review, should the site change and reward me points for my mistake even though it has already told me I would not receive points for a second review and I didn't bother to read the warning or ignored it? A simple mistake is no reason to change things when the individual author has the same tools, as previously stated, to warn the reviewer if they so desire. At any rate, I rest my case. To each their own solution. Take care. Vern

njc wrote:

The reviewer may not see it until the review is begun.

If it's at the beginning of the story and optionally, as also stated, at the beginning of every chapter, then the reviewer simply isn't paying attention and ostensibly isn't paying attention to the story itself. And if the reviewer is that blind, what makes you think they will see or pay attention to anything the site puts up. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Sometimes you just have to accept that a person doesn't really want to do their due diligence. In that case, the battle to woo them, is probably a waste of time. Sometimes your war effort is better allocated elsewhere. Take care. Vern

njc wrote:

How can the author (member) change the controls?

As I stated, the author can leave a clear note that they prefer the reviewer to start with chapter one. That is the same type "control" the site could make to accomplish the same thing. No matter who does it, the reader/reviewer must read the directions or the whole debate is meaningless and the outcome hopeless. Take care. Vern