Hey, Sol is back. Guess there must be something else in that void of The Great Pyramid. Take care. Vern
477 2017-12-28 05:29:37
Re: WANTED: grist for the next contest mill. (47 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
The best I can tell, this is the last post by Sol:
***
SolN 2017-11-03 13:48:01
SolN
Offline
That's strange. Let me check it out.
***
Interestingly enough, it was reported that same day of November 3, 2017 that a giant void was discovered in the Great Pyramid of Giza using a new technique called muography. There is of yet no explanation for this void just as there is no forthcoming explanation for Sol's extended absence. Could there be a connection? Is that where Sol is hiding? A robot camera will soon be sent into the void to find out. We know Sol is out there somewhere. Maybe he will send a message should the camera spot him. Take care. Vern
Edited to add link: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/khuf … cs-2017-11
478 2017-12-27 15:50:01
Re: Much to be thankful for (41 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
http://theweek.com/cartoons/745256/poli … -christmas
Take care. Vern
479 2017-12-27 15:35:28
Re: WANTED: grist for the next contest mill. (47 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
But don't forget, popularity is what makes a best-seller.
That is absolutely true EXCEPT on a writing site such as this where it becomes more of a reciprocal relationship. However, I'm amenable to any judging system approved by the majority of authors who deem to enter. Take care. Vern
480 2017-12-27 05:25:10
Re: -40 degrees in Calgary with wind chill (5 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
That's 72 degrees below the freezing temperature of water! Reminds me of that Star Trek episode where the away team was freezing to death on a planet and the transporters were out of commission. A few dozen episodes later it turns out the Enterprise carries a shuttlecraft. That's the kind of error that would turn Star Wars fans rabid. Fortunately, they're currently busy despising The Last Jedi. It rates worse than the prequel trilogy, but will still easily top $1B before everyone realizes it sucks and stops going. And then J.J. Abrams, who never saw a movie franchise he didn't want to reboot, will destroy the final episode in the new trilogy.
Well, somebody will appreciate global warming. Went to see The Last Jedi this afternoon and it certainly wasn't the best. Almost constant action, but the plot is a bit lacking. Did enjoy a few moments of humor and I'm always up for a good laugh. Saw it in that RPX format (or something to that effect) whatever that stands for; didn't really pay attention except for the ten bucks charge and designated seating). And despite leaving the house early, because of the traffic I got there too late to stand in the long line for popcorn -- my main reason for going to movies -- or else I couldn't find my seat in the dark with everyone yelling at me to sit down, so that didn't help my disposition. But my wife did meet me afterward for supper, so all was well. Still, next time, I'll probably wait for the TV version. Take care. Vern
481 2017-12-27 02:34:48
Re: WANTED: grist for the next contest mill. (47 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
All those in favor of a contest initiated by the members, say 'aye.'
I see you're overwhelmed with the response. Okay, with the absence of Sol for several months to date, I'll make a suggestion: Say after the first of the year how about a contest open to any genre with no restrictions other than must be published new for the contest so there would be no previous reviews. The maximum word count should be self-limiting with diminished readership for those works going overboard in length.
For a prize, I suggest several members volunteer an extensive in-line review of the work and if it is the beginning of a novel, then a further commitment to review the entire novel if completed (or all that is completed within say a month from end of contest.) I hereby will be the first volunteer. Should volunteers be eligible? Makes no difference to me, but it might shorten the list of volunteers. Or being a volunteer might be made a requirement for entering the contest -- I like that even better.
Perhaps if enough writers volunteer for the review prize (or all if made a requirement), the winning author could choose three from among those volunteers whose reviewing style (ascertained by looking at past reviews) best fit their needs. I would also recommend a deadline for entry one month from the start of contest. Perhaps someone knows an impartial judge (or judges) to choose the winning entry. Personally, I would recommend against a site popularity format. But whatever, doesn't really matter to moi. Take care. Vern
Just an idea to ponder or be a catalyst for other ideas. Take care. Vern
482 2017-12-25 00:14:14
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Merry Christmas -- to all and to all a good night.
483 2017-12-17 14:40:58
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
space
Edited to remove a less than obvious explanation -- now it's a puzzle
484 2017-12-17 04:56:26
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Here (just bringing back up for MJ)
485 2017-12-14 23:54:54
Re: The "was" wars and "was" addiction (30 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Memphis Trace wrote:Memphis Trace wrote:Thank goodness Alabama noticed it was missing... before they struck out. They hit a home run Tuesday.
Memphis TraceThere was no better place than Alabama https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions … amp;wpmm=1
An excerpt:
First, let us pay tribute to the new Alabama busy being born. There were many reasons Democrat Doug Jones defeated Republican Roy Moore, but younger voters who insisted that the old ways are not their ways were decisive.Jones overwhelmed Moore among Alabamians younger than 45, taking more than 60 percent of their ballots, according to the exit polls. Moore took about three-fifths of those 65 and older. This augurs poorly for Republicans, and President Trump is deepening this generation gap. The GOP is throwing away its future.
Memphis Trace
I'm afraid it's much too early to consider Alabama being "reborn." Moore was a terrible candidate, not only for his outlandish views, but for his contempt for the law and his likely criminal behavior. Yet he got a huge support from white men and a large majority from white women. In the next election, Jones will probably lose to a more "normal" opponent. So, though I'm gratified that enough white support could align with African Americans to give Moore the win in this reddest of red states (while many Alabama Republicans stayed home in disgust of their candidate), this will most probably be a short-lived victory.
Most likely, you are probably most likely correct, Jack, but the Alabama vote shows that after going all-in for Moore, Trump was dealt a self-inflicted blow which just might wake up a few more Republican congress-people to the fact Trump is not nearly as omnipotent as they are conned into believing from his mouth. Take care. Vern
486 2017-12-13 12:56:18
Re: The "was" wars and "was" addiction (30 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
It comes down to "There are no concrete rules" for creative writing other than to use common sense. If something can be shown/explained/etc. without the use of a word which is often repetitious with most writers, then use a little "creativity" to rearrange the sentence into another way of saying the same thing (perhaps better) without making it shout out, "Look at me; I didn't use was here." And the debate goes on.... Good thing IS, we have a new addition to the country. Alabama just voted to rejoin the union. Take care. Vern
487 2017-12-12 23:42:40
Re: The "was" wars and "was" addiction (30 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I am what I am
and that is all what I am
I am Popeye the Sailor Man.
Add a little music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7mpAVtefdQ
Take care. Vern
488 2017-12-12 01:13:18
Re: WANTED: grist for the next contest mill. (47 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I think we're swimming in quicksand. Take care. Vern
489 2017-12-11 15:30:21
Re: The "was" wars and "was" addiction (30 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Being Dead by Jim Crace
I think therefore I am ~ Descartes
I Am that I Am ~ God
Memphis Trace
Perhaps we can combine a few quotes:
To be God or not to be God; I think I Am, therefore I AM; what was the question?
Agnosticus English
490 2017-12-10 04:49:54
Re: The "was" wars and "was" addiction (30 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I'm probably one of the last one might consult about "grammar" issues, but my observation is that the overuse of "was" presents the story more as "telling" as opposed to "showing" which of course is the cardinal sin of creative writing so to speak. There is nothing wrong with the use of "was" per se and a story without any "was" would probably be rather poorly written from the reader's perspective since most any good narrative section detailing something of a past nature (a large proportion of stories being told) will use "was" to denote the action has already happened.
Fortunately there are also other ways to produce a sentence without always having to resort to "was" to relay the information. I think what trips up or causes "problems" for some reviewers (as well as agents/ editors, etc.) is using "was" to the exclusion of those other methods of saying the same thing, thus making the "was" stand out in the reader's mind through repetition. A good exercise might be to go through your work and look at cases where the sentence could easily be stated differently to eliminate the over reliance upon "was" and make the story a bit more active showing. You could pull some sentences out and post them in this thread to get different ideas of how to rearrange them to that end. That's it in an elongated nutshell from my non-expert perspective. The ultimate decision will still be up to the author. Take care. Vern
Edited to add "elongated" as you might surmise, lol.
491 2017-12-09 01:22:51
Re: WANTED: grist for the next contest mill. (47 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
SolN wrote:Interesting ideas. I'm going to continue following this thread and we'll launch a new contest by the beginning of next week.
Sol, this was back in August. Did I somehow miss the contest, or have you just not come up with a good one yet?
I personally think it's a good way to draw in more writers to this site.
Anybody else ready for a new contest????
I think everyone is ready except Sol. Some kind of time warp thing maybe. Tale care. Vern
492 2017-11-23 04:43:55
Re: Editor/Writer from Vancouver, BC (6 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Welcome, CG, beyond the previous suggestions, I would add that you might want to put this (and possibly more) personal info in your profile as this thread will soon disappear into the back pages never to be seen again. Take care. Vern
493 2017-11-16 02:41:04
Re: Publishing contract (11 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Congrats! Best of luck with future sales. Take care. Vern
494 2017-11-06 15:13:32
Re: When Insults Had Class (32 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
j p lundstrom wrote:Mark Twain on Jane Austen: "Every time I read Pride and Prejudice, I want to dig Jane Austen up and hit her over the skull with her own shin bone."
So why would he want to keep reading it over and again?
Probably not Sam's best moment/quote. Take care. Vern
495 2017-11-06 14:36:17
Re: When Insults Had Class (32 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
She saw the best of herself in the mirror; the worst was behind her.
Luke Peters
496 2017-11-06 04:40:25
Re: Marketing Your Book (3 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I was just curious about her methods for future reference as I don't have anything published at the moment. I do have some novel ideas I will share once I have tested them at some future date, hopefully. Take care. Vern
497 2017-11-06 00:24:46
Re: Marketing Your Book (3 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
You might tell us HOW the lady at the table with you was so unbelievable in her innovation. Or is that a trade secret? Take care. Vern
498 2017-11-06 00:09:51
Re: WANTED: grist for the next contest mill. (47 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
SolN wrote:Interesting ideas. I'm going to continue following this thread and we'll launch a new contest by the beginning of next week.
Just found this thread and evidently I missed something. I joined in July, renewed once, and haven't seen a contest yet. Isn't this one of the things we pay premium for?
My only contest suggestion is: If Sol chooses an idea, the person who suggested it should not be allowed to enter. Because they have the jump on everyone else.
Well, since we've been waiting for several months for the contest which would be announced "next week" I don't think it matters a dither who suggests the idea if Sol can't come up with one on his own. The suggestion of an idea doesn't give the "suggestor" any advantage that I can see. Every contest idea comes from someone and no matter where the idea comes from there are plenty of varied and original responses which anyone who might have suggested such idea probably never dreamed of fitting the idea. There is a reason why you can't patent an idea. No matter what it is, it must be executed. Just an idea doesn't make a good story. The execution of the idea does. I could have an idea for a story and spend twenty years on it and it not be as good a story as someone else might present.
My idea is to have a contest period regardless of subject matter or who suggested it. Just my opinion. Others may differ and I'm sure they will just as I have disagreed with the suggestion within this post. Take care. Vern
499 2017-11-04 12:21:29
Re: When Insults Had Class (32 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
vern wrote:Dill Carver wrote:I'm sorry I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid. I honestly thought that you already knew.
My only intent for commenting on this is to say that it could well join the list of classic insults listed at the beginning of this thread. PC or not, I literally laughed out loud and nary a cuss word was uttered. That is a literary feat extraordinaire imho. Take care. Vern
I can't claim it Vern. I think it has been commonly used before; or a variant of it. I was paraphrasing from memory. The 'You're so stupid that you are incapable of realizing just how stupid you actually are.' genre of taunt/insult
The best part about these classic insults is that they should not offend unless the recipient accepts them as truth; wherein they merely become a statement of fact. Anyway, we need more imagination in the present such as these from the past present. Take care. Vern
500 2017-11-04 02:10:07
Re: When Insults Had Class (32 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid. I honestly thought that you already knew.
My only intent for commenting on this is to say that it could well join the list of classic insults listed at the beginning of this thread. PC or not, I literally laughed out loud and nary a cuss word was uttered. That is a literary feat extraordinaire imho. Take care. Vern