Topic: New writing contest

I think it's time for a new writing contest. I have a few ideas but I'm willing to take suggestions. I know I've seen posts with some fun contest ideas. Let me know.

Sol

2 (edited by A.T.Schlesinger 2016-10-04 21:14:45)

Re: New writing contest

I have an idea that is daring, risky and provocative, so it will probably never happen.  I mean, we are so polite here.

Write a sex scene between 1000 and 5000 words. Make it hot, make us blush, but keep it classy; the kind of thing that pushes the main-stream envelope, but not something that would end up in a Hustler magazine forum.

I honestly think this would both challenge us as writers, and get us to exercise a often neglected muscle (no pun intended.) 

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w315/Anastazja_2007/c30c1a17-3016-45a8-bdc4-1e3a634c9de5_zpsfuldbqbi.jpg

When that idea gets rejected, let's do a Halloween writing contest.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w315/Anastazja_2007/ezgif.com-crop1_zpsnyyx0jpm.gif

I could do this, but I think you'll severely limit your contestants. A.T., I suggest you start a group for erotica and offer this contest.

4 (edited by Dill Carver 2016-10-05 00:12:02)

New competition! Yay!

Perhaps

If the competition stipulated a distinct yet general theme of an abstract nature; say, (and these are just random examples for illustration rather than actual suggestions), the end of a relationship: the death of a family member: a great victory or the overcoming of odds: an act of revenge: a survival… etc. etc.

Then all genres and styles of both storytelling and poetry could enter. I’d like to see the poets admitted, ideally with entries judged on two classes of winners… Short Story and Poem.

What about a contest...fiction that must contain certain phrases  but it can be any kind of fiction.

Many, many years ago...I did one of these and it was great to push your mind into new directions. Some of the words for the one I did were 'Schwinn bike, goat cheese, ax, debutante...."

It was really fun and it wouldn't limit the genre.
The winner was the one who wrote the most engaging and cohesive story.

Ann Everett wrote:

Ron Carlson's Alphabet Exercise: Write a short story of 26 sentences, the first beginning with A, the second with B, and so on.

Soo many Xylophone stories!

Ann Everett wrote:

Ron Carlson's Alphabet Exercise: Write a short story of 26 sentences, the first beginning with A, the second with B, and so on.

Sounds like a good contest to me!

How about giving the authors an idea around which everybody must elaborate? The idea doesn't need to be literately quoted, even though authors are free to do so. However, the idea must be present in the story. For example:

"When John arrived at his house, the fact all lights were on called his attention. It was quite late for everybody to be up. Besides, why were the lights downstairs on as well? And even the backyard? Was his wife throwing a party?"

And that should be it. The idea doesn't need to be the start of the story, it can be the middle, or even the end. The character's name doesn't need to be John, and the authors can turn him into a woman if they prefer to do so. But the underlying idea, the fact that somebody arrived home late at night and found an unexpected situation there--one of which signs was all the lights turned on--must be part of the story.

It'd be interesting to see how creative the participants are, moving away from cliches and from the obvious.

Kiss,

Gacela.

PS. Please don't do the erotica idea. It's a very particular genre not all of us cultivate.

9 (edited by max keanu 2016-10-07 01:42:24)

So many groups here... most do very little, say in comparison to groups on Scribophile where contests are frequent within groups and therefore seem to promote the larger site in a Gestalt manner.  Perhaps groups here with 20 or more members could have a preliminary contest whose proud winners then move on to a contest that is then judged by Solnicks and awarded a worthwhile grand prize ($500). I suggest a winter holiday theme where submissions are made to groups members to vote on by the last day of November, and then the site-wide winner is named and presented their grand prize by President Hilary Clinton on January 1, 2017 to bring in the New Year.

How about a contest showing when the two main characters first meet. Their chemistry and attraction or if not a romance how these two characters drive the plot.  Also like A T Schlesingers idea....

I like TirzahLaughs idea the best. Kind of like that cook-off show where the contestants are given an often weird list of ingredients from which they have to make dishes.

Since there seems to be quite a bit of discussion on site about genre and the attention each gets or doesn't get or even what is part and parcel to a particular genre, then perhaps a contest where one must pick three (3) genre from a list provided by Sol for the contest and incorporate elements of each within the story. Many, if not most, stories already contain elements of more than one genre, so such a contest might prove helpful to those who are reluctant to read or write a specific genre. You might even add the caveat (or not) that the author must denote (as a footnote) where/how in the story each genre is represented with the judge(s) to determine the effectiveness of each genre in the story along with the overall quality of the story. Too complicated? Well, it is a contest to hopefully decode the secret of writing a good story. Take care. Vern

13 (edited by Dill Carver 2016-10-06 00:49:40)

vern wrote:

Since there seems to be quite a bit of discussion on site about genre and the attention each gets or doesn't get or even what is part and parcel to a particular genre, then perhaps a contest where one must pick three (3) genre from a list provided by Sol for the contest and incorporate elements of each within the story. Many, if not most, stories already contain elements of more than one genre, so such a contest might prove helpful to those who are reluctant to read or write a specific genre. You might even add the caveat (or not) that the author must denote (as a footnote) where/how in the story each genre is represented with the judge(s) to determine the effectiveness of each genre in the story along with the overall quality of the story. Too complicated? Well, it is a contest to hopefully decode the secret of writing a good story. Take care. Vern

Nice one Vern. Although I think there may already be an image that encompasses this suggestion in its entirety.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or … cf3ef8.gif

Dill Carver wrote:
vern wrote:

Nice one Vern. Although I think there may already be an image that encompasses this suggestion in its entirety.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or … cf3ef8.gif

LOL! Take care. Vern

15 (edited by Dill Carver 2016-10-06 18:53:30)

vern wrote:

LOL! Take care. Vern

Just joshing with you Sir! smile

Your suggestion is actually quite interesting. Hard to score though; it would be the judges that I'd feel sorry for.

16 (edited by vern 2016-10-06 23:26:49)

Dill Carver wrote:
vern wrote:

LOL! Take care. Vern

Your suggestion is actually quite interesting. Hard to score though; it would be the judges that I'd feel sorry for.

Oh, I had no doubt of that; love your sense of humor and loved that image which was hilarious. I really did laugh out loud even later thinking about it while watching TV. As for the judges, if we can manage the writing, the judges should be able to buck up to the task at hand. Take care. Vern

Edited for clarification.

Dill Carver wrote:
vern wrote:

LOL! Take care. Vern

Dill, where did you find that picture of me? Hilarious!

TirzahLaughs wrote:

What about a contest...fiction that must contain certain phrases  but it can be any kind of fiction.

Many, many years ago...I did one of these and it was great to push your mind into new directions. Some of the words for the one I did were 'Schwinn bike, goat cheese, ax, debutante...."

It was really fun and it wouldn't limit the genre.
The winner was the one who wrote the most engaging and cohesive story.

I also like this idea as it is simple in terms of parameters, thus allowing all genres a broad scope if the phrases are universal, thereby being attractive to writers from different galaxies and star systems to participate. Seriously, this is a good idea TZ

how about a horror short story?

A horror short story? The title of the conteste might be: A Horror Short Story Contest: Make Us Pee in Our Pants.

Kiss,

Gacela

Trump won.
The end.

*collects prize money*

Lots of excellent ideas so far. I'd like to hear many more weigh in and I'd like the contest to have many entrants. But if there's a huge turn-out, we might have to limit how many entries each writer could submit. Three or four for instance. Too, I think that length of the work is not - as someone said earlier - that big a deal. I mean if someone writes a top-notch haiku and it speaks volumes more... Heck, if someone wrote out of any genre and said the most and the best in three or four words... And another thing is that if someone is not a native speaker/writer of English, why not allow them to enter their story in their language - provided someone would act as an interpreter and write the English version? Maybe that's already been done? Whoops! Thought I was finished... what about including written songs? I don't know how many on this site write them, but it would add another interesting layer...

MiJ

max keanu wrote:

[...] I suggest a winter holiday theme where submissions are made to groups members to vote on by the last day of November, and then the site-wide winner is named and presented their grand prize by President Hilary Clinton on January 1, 2017 to bring in the New Year.

The sorceress Hecuba, desiring to be Queen of America, conjured a mighty demon of wind, Matthew, against her valiant foe, Donald MacLeod, Duke of Trumpf, at his magnificent Southern Palace, but she failed to thwart his march to make America Great Again surely as she had failed to annihilate African-Americans during the reign of George II in la Cité d’Orleans.

Would be nice to have a contest where you write something contradicting. Like putting two people that are like oil and water and write a big action scene where their differences really show. Then make them the closest thing on the planet in the end. How to go from one extreme to the other. Don't have to be romantic, we'll get to see everything from buddies, family to lovers here. Also rewarding for writers to read how other writers use their action writing and then tweak things until it becomes something completely different. It would be something we all could learn from in our own writing in the end?

Just to be insane:  write a story backwards.  You know, time's arrow is reversed.  Examples would be the Sliders Episode where they begin on death row, and proceed to the trial, the arrest, the murder.  Merlin's life might be another, as he went through time backwards.