No, but you can do it and we'll waive the deadline to give you an honorable mention along with a loud chorus of clapping and belly laughs and also promise to make a permanent monument in your likeness holding pen and sword. What say ye? Take care. Vern
1,102 2015-11-27 02:39:37
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
gravy -- one gravy to go with one potato
1,103 2015-11-26 13:38:50
Topic: Happy Thanksgiving (6 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Happy Thanksgiving to all. Eat till you drop -- or not. Take care. Vern
1,104 2015-11-25 03:15:41
Re: Places to find reference reading (32 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I don't know where I found Dan Koboldt's site but Google didn't find the site name here, so I'm guessing it was somewhere else. There are a lot of articles--over 60--on everything from viruses to the history of warfare and medieval occupations open to women. They're not very deep, but they seem good enough to make the writer smarter. And it looks like a new article is added every few weeks.
I just googled his name and had no trouble finding the site you link. If you go to his home/blog/etc. page, there is a link at the top of the page to the site you link here under science in sci-fi. All the same links are at the top of the page you link here. Looks like a good site btw. Take care. Vern
1,105 2015-11-24 13:00:02
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Charles_F_Bell wrote:Charles F Bell wrote:you chose to offer opinion on nothing I mentioned and voiced repeatedly how the points system sucks because it is for fools who think it can work without being taken advantage of.
vern wrote:As always, you try to inject things you imagine. I gave an opinion on everything you suggested,
No. you didn't. You created a strawman to knock in your desire to criticize the points system.
vern wrote:I have stated that no points system is perfect
You said it's pretty crappy.
vern wrote:And I have stated repeatedly that the current system already does everything you think your suggestion would add to the system if used properly and not merely doing the bare minimum.
That's the strawman which is not my suggestion. If the number of comments for inline review were already proportional to the length of the reviewed piece, I would not suggest it.
vern wrote:I have also stated that if someone wants to take advantage of the system (or any system) they can. Do you deny that?
Yeah, you've said it's pretty crappy, haven't you? repeatedly. Too bad it has nothing to do with my suggestion.
Okay, Charles, this has been interesting, but since you (to include both versions of you) don’t appear to have the capacity and/or desire to understand plain English and respond in a rational manner, I will tax myself to refrain from trying to converse with the equivalent of a two-faced stump. I have no delusions that this will really be the end, so don’t be surprised to see this message reiterated upon any further/continuing nonsense on your part. Until then. Take care. Vern
1,106 2015-11-23 23:47:44
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Charles F Bell wrote:you chose to offer opinion on nothing I mentioned and voiced repeatedly how the points system sucks because it is for fools who think it can work without being taken advantage of.
vern wrote:As always, you try to inject things you imagine. I gave an opinion on everything you suggested,
No. you didn't. You created a strawman to knock in your desire to criticize the points system.
vern wrote:I have stated that no points system is perfect
You said it's pretty crappy.
vern wrote:And I have stated repeatedly that the current system already does everything you think your suggestion would add to the system if used properly and not merely doing the bare minimum.
That's the strawman which is not my suggestion. If the number of comments for inline review were already proportional to the length of the reviewed piece, I would not suggest it.
vern wrote:I have also stated that if someone wants to take advantage of the system (or any system) they can. Do you deny that?
Yeah, you've said it's pretty crappy, haven't you? repeatedly. Too bad it has nothing to do with my suggestion.
Okay, Charles, this has been interesting, but since you (to include both versions of you) don’t appear to have the capacity and/or desire to understand plain English and respond in a rational manner, I will tax myself to refrain from trying to converse with the equivalent of a two-faced stump. I have no delusions that this will really be the end, so don’t be surprised to see this message reiterated upon any further/continuing nonsense on your part. Until then. Take care. Vern
1,107 2015-11-23 14:48:26
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
vern wrote:... I would still go more for the odd couple of Kermit and Miss Piggy and (s)he is still jealous of my singing, lol, as noted earlier. ...
Never argue with anything bigger than you can lift?
Good point, lol. Take care. Vern
1,108 2015-11-23 01:54:52
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Charles F Bell wrote:I never was suggesting a change to the point system
Really? What is this:
Charles F Bell wrote:. . that the number of points be proportional to the number of comments left.
Do you know what a change is? Is the point system now proportional to the number of comments? If not, and I assume you wouldn’t be asking for it to be if it were, then that would constitute a change. Of course you can close your eyes and imagine it to be otherwise as you do most every other point brought up. You read into things only what you want to see. Another case in point:
Charles F Bell wrote:The 'crux' is you never once commented on my suggestion about the fixed number of comments it takes to post an inline review
If you read things instead of just making up what you wish was there, then you might see I’ve been commenting on your suggestion from the beginning which of course is your problem, you don't like the differing opinions. The following begins my first comment:
vern wrote:From one who typically leaves comments numbered well over the minimum and often into the teens and beyond, I fail to see how basing the points on the number of comments would increase the number of reviewers getting to the end of a story.
Charles F Bell wrote:you chose to offer opinion on nothing I mentioned and voiced repeatedly how the points system sucks because it is for fools who think it can work without being taken advantage of.
As always, you try to inject things you imagine. I gave an opinion on everything you suggested, you just didn't like that opinion and so chose to try to somehow turn it into me criticizing the current system. Show me one instance where I said the current points system "sucks" or "is for fools." You can't because it is strictly from your warped imagination. You want to call that rude; if the shoe fits, wear it.
I have stated that no points system is perfect and that would definitely include yours whether you admit it is a change or not. And I have stated repeatedly that the current system already does everything you think your suggestion would add to the system if used properly and not merely doing the bare minimum. I have also stated that if someone wants to take advantage of the system (or any system) they can. Do you deny that? And your suggestion would not change the fact that someone can take advantage of the system if that is their purpose. Anyone can give a shoddy or incomplete review just for the points if they so desire and that is true of any system, not a criticism of this system specifically. I doubt any "rational" person could believe that any point system could not be taken advantage of. Now, you tell me how that equates to saying this system "sucks" or "is for fools" as you spout. And you might try using my words in context, not ones from your foggy imagination. Take care. Vern
1,109 2015-11-23 00:58:58
Re: Moving chapters about (2 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Hi all,
Due to writing a new first chapter, by that I mean it's in addition to the existing one, I now need to shuffle all the chapters along one. Is there a correct way to do this other than editing the content?
http://www.thenextbigwriter.com/posting-update/21946
Thanks
David
Go to your content page and select the chapter number you wish to change (click on it to change) and proceed with any others which need to follow suit. Take care. Vern
1,110 2015-11-22 22:36:23
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Your repetition of how annoying the point system to you is annoying.
Which one of you is talking now? Whichever it is, please point out one instance where I've said the point system is annoying. You've ignored past invitations to produce any such evidence of your imagined take on my position, but you fail to do so because you can't do it; it doesn't exist. I'm not sure why you can't accept that after it being shown to you repeatedly, but then it is sometimes hard to control such delusions. I wish you luck with conquering them. Take care. Vern
1,111 2015-11-22 22:21:34
Re: Word processor compatibility with foreign language characters? (12 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Norm d'Plume wrote:Sol, are there any plans to support foreign language characters in the site's word processor? I have to strip all of the long vowels (āēīōū) out of my Latin words
Written Latin did/does not use characters to express long (stressed) vowels but are such in context of their position in the words.
Homō sōlus animal implūme bipēs.(for speaking) = Homo solus animal implume bipes. (for writing). like English.
Sounds like a winning solution to me. Take care. Vern
Edited to add "solution"
1,112 2015-11-22 22:10:28
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
vern wrote:Do you know what a change is? Is the point system now proportional to the number of comments?
No one suggested that.
Then who started this thread with;
. . that the number of points be proportional to the number of comments left.
That was/is your first comment in this thread. Oh wait, that must've been your other self, the one you keep arguing with in your ever changing claims: I did suggest that, no I didn't, yes I did. Geez, neither of you knows what the other says I guess. Perhaps one of you should take charge of what you post. Maybe you should have a conference and get your story straight before sharing both viewpoints with the world. Just maybe, then you wouldn't contradict yourself or each other as the case may be; it's really hard to figure out who is who with all the different opposing personalities springing from your imagination.
Of course my offer still stands to withdraw UNLESS.... If just one of you accept, then you might at least defend whichever position you choose and not foolishly try to change mine in whatever rational state hopefully remains; it's there for the reading. Take care. Vern
1,113 2015-11-22 15:53:59
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Star Trek, (ToS) episode Let That Be Your Last Battlefield.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi7QQ5pO7_A
I remember it well and agree, to a point. I would still go more for the odd couple of Kermit and Miss Piggy and (s)he is still jealous of my singing, lol, as noted earlier. Take care. Vern
http://thekidshouldseethis.com/post/69895716262
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfX1QV4hfw
Edited for lilnks
1,114 2015-11-22 15:16:17
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I suppose this is UNLESS...
Charles F Bell wrote:I never was suggesting a change to the point system
Really? What is this:
Charles F Bell wrote:. . that the number of points be proportional to the number of comments left.
Do you know what a change is? Is the point system now proportional to the number of comments? If not, and I assume you wouldn’t be asking for it to be if it were, then that would constitute a change. Of course you can close your eyes and imagine it to be otherwise as you do most every other point brought up. You read into things only what you want to see. Another case in point:
Charles F Bell wrote:The 'crux' is you never once commented on my suggestion about the fixed number of comments it takes to post an inline review
If you read things instead of just making up what you wish was there, then you might see I’ve been commenting on your suggestion from the beginning which of course is your problem, you don't like the differing opinions. The following begins my first comment:
vern wrote:From one who typically leaves comments numbered well over the minimum and often into the teens and beyond, I fail to see how basing the points on the number of comments would increase the number of reviewers getting to the end of a story.
Charles F Bell wrote:you chose to offer opinion on nothing I mentioned and voiced repeatedly how the points system sucks because it is for fools who think it can work without being taken advantage of.
As always, you try to inject things you imagine. I gave an opinion on everything you suggested, you just didn't like that opinion and so chose to try to somehow turn it into me criticizing the current system. Show me one instance where I said the current points system "sucks" or "is for fools." You can't because it is strictly from your warped imagination. You want to call that rude; if the shoe fits, wear it.
I have stated that no points system is perfect and that would definitely include yours whether you admit it is a change or not. And I have stated repeatedly that the current system already does everything you think your suggestion would add to the system if used properly and not merely doing the bare minimum. I have also stated that if someone wants to take advantage of the system (or any system) they can. Do you deny that? And your suggestion would not change the fact that someone can take advantage of the system if that is their purpose. Anyone can give a shoddy or incomplete review just for the points if they so desire and that is true of any system, not a criticism of this system specifically. I doubt any "rational" person could believe that any point system could not be taken advantage of. Now, you tell me how that equates to saying this system "sucks" or "is for fools" as you spout. And you might try using my words in context, not ones from your foggy imagination. Take care. Vern
1,115 2015-11-21 13:13:26
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
First you suggest a change:
Charles F Bell wrote:. . that the number of points be proportional to the number of comments left.
Then you deny suggesting a change:
Charles F Bell wrote:I never was suggesting a change to the point system
Then you admit again you were suggesting a change:
Charles F Bell wrote:The change suggested by the very subject line
You're arguing with yourself which you seem to be pretty good at. So you are free to continue arguing with yourself on your latest nonsensical claim
Charles F Bell wrote:never on the number FIVE with regard to inline reviews.
since you insist upon not reading and/or understanding the statements presented. The discussion was centered around your 5 comments suggestion so I didn't really think it had to be spelled out in each and every comment because it is implied within the context. But as for your "never" claim, here is a specific time it was spelled out:
vern wrote:You get 5 or 10 or a gazillion comments, what good are they if the reviewer is merely after the points and not giving any helpful input?
You might recall - if you cared to read and understand that is - that said comment was within the context of your assumption that making the points proportional to the number of comments would somehow miraculously get people intent on doing the bare minimum to review the whole story instead of front loading all the comments. And if you want to try to turn that into criticizing the point system as you have done more than once within this thread, then go for it and then you can counter the argument with your other self; you make a good team together. However, your self delusions of what is said or not said make discussing things with your multiple selves less enjoyable and challenging/stimulating than it might be otherwise as I once naively thought. So while you're enjoying outwitting yourself, I will hopefully leave this discussion again UNLESS you continue to post more outrageous nonsense from your imagination about my position statements. Take care. Vern
Edited for clarifying the comments
1,116 2015-11-20 23:50:07
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
First you suggest a change:
. . that the number of points be proportional to the number of comments left.
Then you deny suggesting a change:
I never was suggesting a change to the point system
Then you admit again you were suggesting a change:
The change suggested by the very subject line
You're arguing with yourself which you seem to be pretty good at. So you are free to continue arguing with yourself on your latest nonsensical claim
never on the number FIVE with regard to inline reviews.
since you insist upon not reading and/or understanding the statements presented. The discussion was centered around your 5 comments suggestion so I didn't really think it had to be spelled out in each and every comment because it is implied within the context. But as for your "never" claim, here is a specific time it was spelled out:
You get 5 or 10 or a gazillion comments, what good are they if the reviewer is merely after the points and not giving any helpful input?
You might recall - if you cared to read and understand that is - that said comment was within the context of your assumption that making the points proportional to the number of comments would somehow miraculously get people intent on doing the bare minimum to review the whole story instead of front loading all the comments. And if you want to try to turn that into criticizing the point system as you have done more than once within this thread, then go for it and then you can counter the argument with your other self; you make a good team together. However, your self delusions of what is said or not said make discussing things with your multiple selves less enjoyable and challenging/stimulating than it might be otherwise as I once naively thought. So while you're enjoying outwitting yourself, I will hopefully leave this discussion again UNLESS you continue to post more outrageous nonsense from your imagination about my position statements. Take care. Vern
Edited for clarifying the comments
1,117 2015-11-20 22:54:02
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
vern wrote:C J Driftwood wrote:And Vern,
I don't see anything wrong with the point system. It satisfies my goals: improve my craft as I improve my story.Take care, CJ
If you read my posts instead of getting misinformation from someone else I won't mention, then you would know that I also support the point system AS IS, and not any change being suggested. That has been the whole crux of this discussion.Take care. Vern
Edited for clarification
I was agreeing with you.
Sorry, my bad, I misunderstood your remark; I think it was the "And", lol. Thanks for clarifying. Take care. Vern
1,118 2015-11-20 03:33:22
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I suppose this is UNLESS...
I never was suggesting a change to the point system
Really? What is this:
. . that the number of points be proportional to the number of comments left.
Do you know what a change is? Is the point system now proportional to the number of comments? If not, and I assume you wouldn’t be asking for it to be if it were, then that would constitute a change. Of course you can close your eyes and imagine it to be otherwise as you do most every other point brought up. You read into things only what you want to see. Another case in point:
The 'crux' is you never once commented on my suggestion about the fixed number of comments it takes to post an inline review
If you read things instead of just making up what you wish was there, then you might see I’ve been commenting on your suggestion from the beginning which of course is your problem, you don't like the differing opinions. The following begins my first comment:
From one who typically leaves comments numbered well over the minimum and often into the teens and beyond, I fail to see how basing the points on the number of comments would increase the number of reviewers getting to the end of a story.
you chose to offer opinion on nothing I mentioned and voiced repeatedly how the points system sucks because it is for fools who think it can work without being taken advantage of.
As always, you try to inject things you imagine. I gave an opinion on everything you suggested, you just didn't like that opinion and so chose to try to somehow turn it into me criticizing the current system. Show me one instance where I said the current points system "sucks" or "is for fools." You can't because it is strictly from your warped imagination. You want to call that rude; if the shoe fits, wear it.
I have stated that no points system is perfect and that would definitely include yours whether you admit it is a change or not. And I have stated repeatedly that the current system already does everything you think your suggestion would add to the system if used properly and not merely doing the bare minimum. I have also stated that if someone wants to take advantage of the system (or any system) they can. Do you deny that? And your suggestion would not change the fact that someone can take advantage of the system if that is their purpose. Anyone can give a shoddy or incomplete review just for the points if they so desire and that is true of any system, not a criticism of this system specifically. I doubt any "rational" person could believe that any point system could not be taken advantage of. Now, you tell me how that equates to saying this system "sucks" or "is for fools" as you spout. And you might try using my words in context, not ones from your foggy imagination. Take care. Vern
1,119 2015-11-19 23:44:54
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
And Vern,
I don't see anything wrong with the point system. It satisfies my goals: improve my craft as I improve my story.Take care, CJ
If you read my posts instead of getting misinformation from someone else I won't mention, then you would know that I also support the point system AS IS, and not any change being suggested. That has been the whole crux of this discussion.Take care. Vern
Edited for clarification
1,120 2015-11-19 00:04:34
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
You two make a cute couple.
LOL. Yeah, maybe like Kermit and Miss Piggy. I'm Kermit (ribbit) and well we know who that leaves as Miss Piggy and of course she's jealous because I can sing better.
http://thekidshouldseethis.com/post/69895716262
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfX1QV4hfw
Take care. Vern
1,121 2015-11-18 02:19:05
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
vern wrote:Charles F Bell wrote:Why do you insist on criticism of the points system?
Do you even understand plain English? I'm the one defending the point system as it stands,
No.
Good, you at least admit to one thing. That's enough for me, so I hereby withdraw from this discussion unless .... Take care. Vern
1,122 2015-11-18 00:14:29
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Why do you insist on criticism of the points system?
Do you even understand plain English? I'm the one defending the point system as it stands, not trying to make a fix that won't accomplish anything more than the present one. Exactly, how is telling you repeatedly because it doesn't seem to sink in that the point system works as it is and that all the reviewers you're complaining about dropping off before the end of a story is the fault of the reviewer, not the point system, amount to criticizing the point system? It is your so-called fix that I've pointed out over and over is not a fix at all and I've listed the reasons over and over and you are determined to ignore them and try to deflect a different opinion than yours by accusing me of criticizing the current point system. You don't offer counterpoints to mine to defend your position, you merely try to change what I say to meet some imaginary thought process you're going through.
If you want me to "shut up" then quit trying to put words in my mouth either because you don't understand or you're too lazy to read them. You might note I offered to withdraw but you seem intent on continuing, so make up your mind and then you might consider taking your own advice. Take care. Vern
1,123 2015-11-17 13:20:36
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
vern wrote:even more irrelevant invective and personal attack
Without proportionality of inline comments to the number of words, even if the longer chapter takes and gives more points, the reviewer can do as little work as on shorter chapters to get more points. 5 is 5 regardless whether the chapter is 1000 words or 4000 words.
Well, thank you Charles, for another direct quote from your imagination. As before, you close your mind to what is said so what you hear/read and reproduce is blah, blah, blah and other such nonsense such as your current quote. Of course what I hear in your response is whine, whine, whine, so I quote that in return as tit for tat or quid pro quo as you might prefer.
I've said more than once - must've been talking to your bad ear - that if a reviewer is going to give a less than thorough review merely for the points, then there is nothing you can do about it and there is no system they can't take advantage of if that is the way they operate. You get 5 or 10 or a gazillion comments, what good are they if the reviewer is merely after the points and not giving any helpful input? They're called drive-bys for good reason. My suggestion is to try to find better reviewers for your work and ignore the others. Take care. Vern
1,124 2015-11-17 00:53:18
Re: Suggestion for inline review points (69 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
vern wrote:blah, blah, blah.
I was suggesting an improvement to the point system for those who generally rely on that rather than virtual friends. You can say Yes; or No; or Can't be done; or I don't care. You answer with the last one.
And I was pointing out that the point system already does everything you claim isn't there if you use it properly. However, if you wish to attribute such a quote to Vern, then you should accept that:
Whine, whine, whine ... Nobody listens to poor ole me...
merely adds to your glorious reputation for nonsense. Exactly who do you think relies on "virtual friends"? If you say nearly everyone who receives a review, then you are probably correct as most accept those who care to spend the time and effort to review as virtual friends. Are you so paranoid you think every review someone gets is just a pat on the back from a friend? But hey, if you wish me to take one of your suggested responses, I'll take "I don't care" if your suggestion is implemented or not, but I have serious doubts it will be because of the reasons I've presented here which you simply ignore as blah, blah, blah. I bid you farewell for now. Good luck with any future endeavors. Take care. Vern
Edited to clarify your attitude with your words.
1,125 2015-11-16 16:44:57
Re: Leaving site (11 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Best wishes and hopes your new focus brings further success. I have often enjoyed and learned from your comments in the forums and elsewhere over the years. Take care. Vern