Even witches have navels?
551 2017-08-18 12:04:34
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
552 2017-08-17 23:24:19
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Crazy eights
553 2017-08-16 00:27:13
Re: Did Your Childhood Dream Come True? (5 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I had many dreams -- beyond wanting to get in the pants of a certain young lady of course -- and most have been realized at one time or another. Biggest financial dreams were to be a millionaire by 25 and retire by 35, both of which were accomplished but neither lasted -- beware of what you wish for. I'm now working on my third retirement, lol. I've checked God-knows how-many things off my bucket list, including parasailing just a couple weeks ago. My biggest dream I have left is to be frozen and shipped off to outer space when I die, pointed in the direction of Betelgeuse. I'm still working on that plan with my daughter who is game though my wife isn't. You'll see the sky light up with a supernova if I make it. Take care. Vern
PS: Edited for additional dream.
554 2017-08-15 12:16:39
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Hack job
555 2017-08-14 14:09:46
Re: Contest idea: westerns (6 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
That would be a real shoot-out. Take care. Vern
556 2017-08-13 00:20:57
Re: If you can't say something nice ... (72 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
I agree with that statement up to a point. While there is no excuse for being rude or obnoxious in a review, we all give our "opinions" on how to perhaps make the writing/story better or at least offer an alternative way of saying something. Most authors on this site understand that the review is to offer suggestions for possible improvement, but there are some who enter the domain who apparently become upset if their work is not praised up one side and down the other which of course is not conducive to learning more about the craft.
I do think an author can learn from basically one sided reviews (what might be construed as negative), but the best reviews cover what is good and what could be improved in the opinion of the reviewer. All we offer is our honest opinions, hopefully. It is up to the author to decide if any suggestions should be incorporated into their work; that is part of the learning process also, but can't be learned if only pats on the back are presented by the reviewer. That "great gob, you're ready for publishing" to me is a disservice to the author even if it is all they are looking for.
Please understand I'm not arguing against what MJ has said, merely expanding the thought process a bit in much the way MJ does in her own excellent reviews. Take care. Vern
557 2017-08-12 12:14:24
Re: Do sales = good? (12 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
But vern--Oprah recommended it. She also recommended Obama. How could she be wrong? Erm.
Opinions/recommendations are a marriage between the source and the subject. Sometimes the union works, but others are inherently doomed from the start. Take care. Vern
558 2017-08-11 23:21:25
Re: Do sales = good? (12 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Do sales == good? It's all subjective of course, but let me give one simple real life example which should end the discussion for most that have read the book.
"A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey sold millions of copies after exposure pm Opray's Book Club. It was later ridiculed because he presented it as a memoir when if fact it was mostly fabricated. Now I was gullible enough to obtain a copy and read a large portion before finally realizing I was never going to get to the "good" part because there wasn't any. Of course there were obviously "professionals" who gave it glowing reviews so I'm guessing they really enjoyed reading a single curse word taking up an entire page -- yes, one word on a page is what you read at times and I suppose I should have lingered over it for the amount of time it would normally take to read a whole page, but I didn't have enough sense to do that and maybe that influenced my overall perception that it was a piece of CRAP -- I would put that in other terms on a page by itself if I could master that technique here and I'm sure that would place this whole discussion on a higher plane.
Okay, as stated at the beginning, I understand that "good" is subjective, but if that piece of garbage (I'm being nice here) is "good" writing merely because it sold millions of copies, then I for one hope I never write anything "good" to be published. I'll save all the "good" stuff for my less than favorite acquaintances. My opinion, good or bad or saleable. Take care. Vern
559 2017-08-10 12:12:18
Re: Dilemma (10 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
First off, you could ask "him" the questions the book brought out for you and explain your reactions and then ask if he really wants you to submit an honest review. Of course you could gloss over the shortcomings and as njc said just dwell on what did work, if anything. Just because he won some accolades on a previous book doesn't make the next one a "winner" and sometimes there is only one book in the attic so to speak. My opinion only. Take care. Vern
560 2017-08-08 02:12:25
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Tangerine marijuana
561 2017-08-08 02:10:19
Re: Contest Winners Announced (23 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Congrats to the winners and all who entered. Take care. Vern
562 2017-08-07 22:35:08
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Alternative facts
563 2017-08-07 20:20:25
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Fake news
564 2017-07-29 11:59:26
Re: Renewing notifications (8 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
If unchecked, then all notifications would stop, not just some of them.
Bill
Not true. They can be changed individually. Take care. Vern
565 2017-07-29 02:16:39
Re: Renewing notifications (8 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
You might check your active connections to see if the "receive updates" option is in the "yes" mode. Of course it shouldn't have changed if you didn't change it, but stranger things have happened in the Twilight Zone. Take care. Vern
566 2017-07-28 22:30:51
Re: Bran new (6 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Welcome aboard. The ship only sinks if you drill holes in it. Don't do that. Take care. Vern
567 2017-07-28 02:30:31
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Foghorn Leghorn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x_FzCWl2nc
568 2017-07-27 11:48:29
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Tastes like chicken
569 2017-07-27 02:08:59
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Dagnabbit
570 2017-07-26 22:22:18
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Dear john
571 2017-07-26 12:13:48
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Graffiti
572 2017-07-24 22:36:50
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Ja-pan
573 2017-07-23 23:56:30
Re: Changing Profile Picture (9 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I think it only works if you use a nude photo. Take care. Vern
574 2017-07-23 23:54:03
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Hapless (when a country freely chooses - with a little help from an adversary -- an idiotic pathological liar for president)
575 2017-07-23 04:49:07
Re: Say the first word that comes to mind... (1,634 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Trump "tweet" (th,th,th,that's all folks)