601

(1 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Well done, Janet!  An inspiration to all!

602

(26 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Marilyn Johnson wrote:
Randall Krzak wrote:

Thanks for posting this, Marilyn.  Everything I read in this article (from 2013) matches with my experience with them since I signed y contract in June 2016.

How much marketing did you do on your own?  When I spoke with him on the phone, he told me they would offer suggestions as to how I could help market the book for myself, but he told me they market for their writers, too.  So just wondered how you handled it and how much effort you put into it yourself.

They provided an excellent tutorial to get me started with the marketing/publicity. Yes, I'm doing the majority of the marketing, but as Sandra Beckwith from Beckwith Communications told me, "Even if you had a large publisher like Penguin or Random House, you'd still have to do your own marketing. Publishers tend to do a minimal amount and support the author only during launch mode -- 3 months at the most. They send review copies and try to get media interviews, but often not much more than that (if they even do that much). It's not because they don't believe in the book - it's more because they just don't have the staff. Many folks are probably misled by the blockbuster authors who DO get a lot of support. But that's a handful of people." She told me this in January (this year).

Once I set everything up that Gene recommended, I probably spend 2-3 hours a week (mostly online).  Next week, as part of National Library Week, I'll be doing book signings at two libraries. The following week, I'll be visiting a monthly book club from a third library. The book club has ten members--each bought a copy of my novel and I'll be attending their next session to answer any questions they might have about the story, share my writing journey, and sign the books.  This library will also be hosting a book signing event for me in June.  Also this summer, the nearest Barnes & Noble is hosting a book signing event.

In addition to sales through Amazon, B&N, and other outlets, I've personally sold thirty-seven signed copies. That's in two months, which I don't think is bad, given I'm an unknown. None of these were sold to family members or personal friends, although two TNBW members who helped me with my writing did buy a copy. 

So for me, working with Gene is worthwhile, but everyone has to make their own decisions. One of the authors guiding me, published his fourth novel (final of a series) through Moonshine Cove in November 2016. He thought that might be the end of the run but he sent the first of a new three-book series to Gene.  Just before the end of December, he was signed for all three books. 

What works for me might not work for others but that's okay. Enjoy the journey, however you proceed.

Well, baaaaaad boy, you'll sort things out.:)

Will be here waiting to read and review. Good luck!

605

(26 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Marilyn Johnson wrote:

Here's an interview with Gene, the publisher at Moonshine Cove. 

http://www.thewritersshack.com/how-to-g … hine-cove/

Thanks for posting this, Marilyn.  Everything I read in this article (from 2013) matches with my experience with them since I signed y contract in June 2016.

606

(26 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

ronald quark wrote:

Have you vetted Moonshine Cove? You might want to read this thread through: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthr … Publishing

I've never heard of a vanity press turning anyone down. They make their money by taking yours!

607

(26 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Moonshine Cove is definitely not a vanity press. Before I signed with them, I dug for email addresses for some of their authors and not a single one of them paid a penny (neither did I). They did the editing, created the cover, and took care of worldwide distribution. Sure, I have to take care of marketing and publicity, but I'm finding that's the case with most small presses. Besides, with all the books being published through traditional means, there wouldn't be enough publicists to go around.  This works for me. Others prefer to self-publish. Every individual needs to examine their goals and decide what works best for them.

608

(26 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Marilyn Johnson wrote:

Moonshine Cove Publishing has accepted my western novel, Two Roads to Sunday!  Yippie!  Happy trails!

Many congrats, Marilyn!

609

(14 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Many congrats, Simon!  Well done!  Look forward to reading the entire novel.  Keep us posted when it's available.

Completed inline reviews of Matthew's A to O Krudges:The Girl Who Lost the Earth, Book 1, chapters 18-19.

611

(43 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

jack the knife wrote:

I don't see a huge problem here. You review, expecting feedback; when you don't get it, you move on and forget about that author. No big deal. Coercion is not the answer, in my view.

Fully agree.

612

(43 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Marilyn Johnson wrote:
SolN wrote:

Ok. We can look into adding that feature back. I wanted to remove some of the coercive features of the old site but people seemed to like them.

Thanks, Sol. That would be nice.

Yes, we get points for reviewing, but not all the time.  Some posts don't get points, and I don't review strictly for points.  I actually like offering someone else what I've learned.  It's just common courtesy to acknowledge you read the review.  Even if you don't like it, tell the reviewer it sucks and never to review you again.  If someone tells me that, you best believe I won't bother with anything they post again.

Hi Marilyn,

Did you happen to post those reviews on the 17th of March?  I did two for two different writers on that date, and they didn't appear for them for several days.  Could just be a coincidence, I don't know.

613

(281 replies, posted in Alpha to Omega - Review Group)

Better go review her short stories.:)  Definitely short--one is worth 0.11 and the other 0.57. 

I just looked at what she's review.  She did a number of chapters for Rory on the 17th of March. I know he didn't see my reviews of two of his chapters on that date for a few days. Just never popped in. DeniseF had the same problem.

614

(43 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Agree people should return reviews. I know sometimes, things get in the way. When that happens to me, I send a note letting the person know I haven't forgotten them and will catch up as quickly as I can.

Completed an inline review of Suin's 'Being Fifteen', chapters 19 and 20.

Voted every day since you told us another context was underway.  Good luck!

Just voted again. Sticking The Kurdish Connection's cover in for a future contest.

My vote's cast. Will add another tomorrow.:)

Completed inline reviews of alkemi's 'The Souring Seas' Chapters 18 and 19.

Excellent article. Many thanks for posting!

Many congrats, Rhiannon!  Well done!

622

(9 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Janet Taylor-Perry wrote:

I noticed too. I'm here, but not as active as I once was. HEY! We all want to be published. Just know that once you get out there, then you have to start the marketing, and it is time consuming. I have so many people marked to read, but I just don't seem to have the time to do anyone justice. Sorry if you feel neglected. I'm trying.

Same here! Eventually I'll settle into a new rhythm and catch up with everyone!

623

(9 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

j p lundstrom wrote:

I just went through my "connections" and eliminated half of them--they've dropped out of the writing pool and I haven't heard from them in over a year. Is this normal?
I've changed some of my groups two or three times over the past two years, but I haven't found any forum that's hosting ongoing relevant conversations. It's too bad we seem to be losing touch with each other.

I recently cleared out my connections, too. .Like JP, many haven't been active for a long time.  I'll try my best to keep reading/reviewing current connections' work to keep these viable.

denisef wrote:

Amazing reviews. Well done

Many thanks, Denise!  They're starting to come in and I hope more will follow!

Just received another review!

Exciting New Author - 5-Star!
When Kurdish scavengers uncover a deadly hoard left over from Saddam Hussein's armoury, they see the chance to fight against oppression of their people. Unfortunately, the stash includes canisters of deadly sarin gas, which, in the wrong hands, can unleash unspeakable suffering on innocent people. Bedlam Alpha, an international team formed to prevent conflict, must recover the cylinders which are now hidden in multiple locations throughout politically tense Syria and Turkey.

Randall Krzak's debut novel contains all the elements of a powerful thriller. A crack international team. An impossible mission. Terrifying stakes. But this is not just another thriller; Randall's intimate knowledge of the Middle East makes this a fascinating read. He has a talent for bringing people and places to life, and has left me with a better understanding of the mentality that fuels conflict in this troubled region. This is an author to watch, and I look forward to his next novel.