(4 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Welcome back sir. Happy New Year.

(8 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Awsome, and not surprised in the least. Wow you're so busy too.

(2 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

vern wrote:
d a reynolds wrote:

Hi all,

Due to writing a new first chapter, by that I mean it's in addition to the existing one,  I now need to shuffle all the chapters along one. Is there a correct way to do this other than editing the content?

http://www.thenextbigwriter.com/posting-update/21946

Thanks

David

Go to your content page and select the chapter number you wish to change (click on it to change) and proceed with any others which need to follow suit. Take care. Vern

Thanks Vern.

(2 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Hi all,

Due to writing a new first chapter, by that I mean it's in addition to the existing one,  I now need to shuffle all the chapters along one. Is there a correct way to do this other than editing the content?

Thanks

David

(11 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Good luck sir.

(342 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I thought it was me at first, but this has happened before. I parked a review I was in the middle of and when I returned, it was still there saved but my comments were all gone.

I agree, I sometimes think some reviewers choose small chapters.

(1 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Basic)

I'll be reading on soon, just been so hectic at home.

(3 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Basic)

SquarePeg wrote:

Thanks- got one posted properly. The other gives me an error when I try to pull it up. I'll remember to hit submit not save next time, though!

I had the same trouble, but I think it was me not understanding the process well enough.

(2 replies, posted in Young Adult Writers)

Elisheva Free wrote:

I'm always worried about continuity, so please have at it. wink I'm writing a very dialogue-filled chapter right now that will likely need some work. I am much better at descriptions than dialogue.

I'm usually on every day, but I haven't had much time for reviewing. In the middle of moving myself and my grandparents. Yikes! Anywho... I'll be busy for a few weeks. smile

-Elisheva

Thanks, I'll put you on my list. I look forward to reviewing your work.

(2 replies, posted in Young Adult Writers)

I don't know....things don't seem as busy compared to the old site. But hay-hum, lets move on.
I thought I'd like to say hello, I've been away writing  and hopefully improving.
I had a great response to my appeal for reviewers of my very first, completed novel.
I've been writing for three years now but I get distracted and never seem to settle down on one novel. Ah ha, finely gone dun it.
Now is the hard bit, editing.

I have a bit of an OCD mind, and where I may not always pick up on grammatical flaws, I will often see continuity issues.
So if any one needs an opinion or review, let me know.

However, I just want to say, "Being a writer and connecting with other creative people on TNBW is wonderful."

Happy to help anytime.

David

Hi Jube,

I empathize with you. If there is one true king of head hopping it's Terry Pratchett. I am a big-big fan of him.
I recall a character, (Inspector Vines,)  walking into a meeting in his head then we end up leaving in the Pretitions head.
The reason I think he gets away with it is the readers love for several characters. 
A book where I think it happens the most is either Guards Guards Guards, or Nightwatch. Can't recall specifics, sorry.

David

njc wrote:

Each PoV is a tool, and most tools have problems they work well for and problems they work poorly for.  You fill in the blanks.

Thanks, appreciate your opinion.

Thanks all, I guess it's a lack of confidence and the desire to produce something worth while. I so wish I'd found writing 30 years ago, I'd be much further up the track. "Could'a-would'a-should'a."

I must re-iterate my thanks to the reviewers who have reviewed me so far. I know as I return the favour i'm getting a bargain.

My thanks to you all.

David

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a small poll of narration POV opinions. My current work, a humourous YA, is written in what I think is omniscient third person.  I am receiving great in-line reviews, (By that I mean loads of nits to sort.) and thanks to you all, I'm slowly chasing the nits away. However not all reviewers like this. Is this because they/you are writers who have particular styles or is it because it's frowned upon? 

My narrator who hangs over the protag, I feel, is needed to point-out the funny things / facts that the protag may not be aware of, and more importantly he knows things that the inhabitants of their lands will never know. But on that same note, I think I have over used his voice and have cut back.

As an example, Terry Pratchett uses this Omni 3rd POV to great effect.  Not all seem to like the narration of the author, others seem to read through and seem unhindered.
I feel, looking back over my previous versions, that since cutting back on the godly narrator the humor has been diluted somewhat.

I'm at a quandary what to do as I respect these authors/reviewers very much. What to do?
Oh i have found an interesting article where someone in a similar boat has questioned this. It can be found here:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthr … tchett-way

http://www.thenextbigwriter.com/posting … tiny-21946

Thoughts?

Dave

(3 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Yes, and thanks Janet, I listened to your critique and have edited accordingly.

I just wanna thank all those who have reviewed my first chapter. I know I've started off bad with too much narration, as someone said, a travel guide. Anyway, this is easily fixed and I think once a reader gets into the second chapter things settle down to what one expects in a novel.

Thank you again, I'll contact you all to find out what you'd like reviewed unless it's obvious.

David

Hello all you lovely wonderful writers...yes you.

I have been away writing and completing my first novel, although this is my second attempt. Yay me.
It's a YA fantasy novel, the humor is not subtle but hopefully not too corny.

Anyway, I got there in the end. Now I need to build bridges and get some Quid Pro Quo reviewing going.

I'm hesitant to leap straight into established novels that are well under way with reviews, as I'm sure you might find it inconvenient to have reviews of chapter 1 while your working on say chapter 35.

Having said that, if you do want a nit picking OCD eye cast over your work please let me know.

So please swing by, any hard hitting review is welcome, I so desperately wanna get better as a writer.

http://www.thenextbigwriter.com/posting … tiny-21946

Thanks everyone.

David

Hi all,

It's a big milestone for me, I completed my first book, second attempt.
Now I'm looking to workshop it here, so who want's to break my duck? Obviously quid pro quo.
It's YA / Fantasy with light humorous undertones, lots of magic with a medieval undertone.

Thanks

(0 replies, posted in Young Adult Writers)

Big milestone for me, I completed my first book, second attempt.
Now I'm looking to workshop it here, so who want's to break my duck?
It's YA / Fantasy with light humorous undertones, lots of magic and medieval links.

Thanks

I'm looking for novels to review, ideally but not absolutely, YA / Fantasy.
In return I've just published my first chapter (with tiny prologue) of my first completed book. YES! I've finally passed that great hurdle.

My previous book I started to post chapters before I was even a quarter in, the reviewing process ended up feeling like quicksand and I lost the will to go on. So secret is for me, complete then go to editing, reviewing.

Anyways here's the link to "Limptoe's Destiny." (A working title as I can't decide.)

Thanks

David

Lol, quite true.

Thanks all, I was looking Norm I thought this thread is Premium? Thanks Janet, and I'll review your work soon.
And yes Norm, that makes sense, trouble is for me at least, I feel guilty reviewing the good writers, which is nearly everyone compared to me, lol.

I know there will be a post somewhere on here about this but my search did not find anything.
I'm about to post my first chapter from my YA novel. I see that some of my chapters are only 1200 words and other's 5000. should I try to shoogle things about to make them reasonable consistent? Also, if I' reviewing someone back who's reviewed mine and a quick check confirmed this, and their chapters are 5000 words, it does not seem fair.
Am I missing something here?

Thanks

(1 replies, posted in Young Adult Writers)

Hi,

I've been away for a while too.
I'm back after completing my first YA fantasy novel. I'd written a previous novel but my lack of experience took it's toll, but all in all, I treat that as a learning curve.

I'm looking to either start or join a reviewing group, I'm unsure if this is best place as this new site looks so different.

Anyway good to see your back too.