Topic: Why is it wrong to use italics to show internal dialogue?

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-it-wrong-t … tasy-novel
Why is it wrong to use italics to show internal dialogue when writing a fantasy novel?

It is not exactly ‘wrong’, but using a blocks of italics are not quite appealing to the readers’ eyes. Italics are used to emphasize, it is hard to read if it forms a huge block of text- I myself have to squint very hard to read italics.

It is like using UPPER CASE for the WHOLE BOOK. Isn’t very good-looking, is it?

Fantasy readers tend to read quickly, tearing through the book so I think action is more important than long monologues that seem will never end. Jane Eyre is a classic great book, contains chapters of monologues, which is annoying for teenagers that want a fantasy novel- but different people like different books.

Okay back to the principal, italics can be used with occasional thoughts.

Oh this is not good, I think, but what else can I do other than standing here and watch, I cannot help him.

Compare to this:

Oh Jesus Christ, this is not good, not good at all! I try to figure out what to do but my brain seems blank and unable to think. How can I help him? What can I do? I cannot just stand here and watch- that is obviously useless! Dear god, is he going to survive? What if… no! No he will not die, he will not! I got to help him… but I cannot do anything.

Re: Why is it wrong to use italics to show internal dialogue?

I've seen this done effectively by switching from the serif to the sans serif version of the same font.