I don't know if this is your answer, but I was trying to read chapter 2 of Aiden Ice a few days ago and my computer kept re-starting. I had just clicked on 'inline' and it happened again, so I gave up. Got really busy and haven't been back. My computer was trying to download updates on an air card and couldn't do it.

(1 replies, posted in Texas Authors)

At my local SCBWI meeting yesterday, someone mentioned that one of the libraries, possibly in San Antonio or Bryan, was doing something like a book fair or signing for local independent authors, but I didn't get the whole thing written down, and the woman talking about it hasn't posted any information yet. She did say that the librarian needed to know something by this Friday, September 2, in order to get the author's info into the flyer. I think the event is supposed to be maybe October 14 or 15. Does anyone know about this?

(2 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Thanks. I wondered if it was a problem, or me.

(2 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I've been having a bit of trouble with readers missing chapters because they aren't showing up on the list. The problem is that when I post two chapters in one day, only the last chapter is displayed. Then when the reader clicks on it and reads, they don't even know they missed a chapter. And I've missed chapters when I'm reading . Now I always check, but it does distract from focusing on the content. Is there something we can do?

Speedy healing for your surgery, and worry not about reviewing. Some of us who haven't yet reciprocated will have a great chance to do some good reading (and catch up with your reviews) I'm eager to see what you have - and take care of that wrist. Just like the saying goes 'No hoof, no horse.' For us it is 'No wrist, no write,' and that just can't happen.
Write On!

(15 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Congrats to the winners!

I was not kidding when I said this guy was good. I'm glad that others agree with me! Move over Tom Clancy and Dan Brown! And Congrats Randy. You deserve it.

Oh, and congratulations to Sol for putting this together against all odds (with the judges) this year. Good job!

Huge congratulations to all the finalists! I'll be looking for those books on the shelves. Now it's time for the rest of us to start reading you and see if we can get that good as well.

Write On!

(10 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Ann Everett wrote:

it's a lot of bookkeeping...in my opinion. I have a guy who keeps record of all my sales...my husband. I rarely look at them. Just easier to ask him. :+)

Ann, you are soooooo lucky. My hubs doesn't want to hear it and surely won't look it up. All he wants to know is when is supper! Oh, and will I please check the water in his pigeon loft.

Write On!

How would this be posted? Would the author post their sales, or would you somehow link to Amazon, or???? I'd love the idea of seeing who and what type of writing is successful (other than romance and outstanding fantasy) I can write, but it seems that I haven't found the right niche yet.  Locals rave when they get one of my books. Now, if the US would take a chance.....

Oh well, I'll be tuned in to see where this goes.

(14 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

And I read most of Kurdish Connection. It's intense. No kidding, right up there with Dan Brown.

(1 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Congrats! Looks like fun. I'm headed to the Horseman's Market in Brenham, Texas at the Brazos County Expo Center this Saturday
Best of luck to both of us
http://bvdrc.com/horsemens-market-day/

O My, T. A. I'm going to have nightmares after that haiku and image!

(8 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I need the name of a well known cartoon character - one that young children will know - that has spiky hair, like a hedge hog. I decided to write a picture book for my granddaughter, 4 y/o who grew her first sunflower this year. The bugger topped out at 9.5 feet tall and the center (where the seeds are) is almost a foot across! I'm using the photos my daughter in law has posted to Facebook. I'll make this book a Christmas present or something. This name will be something she says when she first discovers the new bud. A sunflower bud is really spiky, like our old hedge hog cartoon characters. I'm so far out of touch with what kids are watching these days I don't even know where to start!

Thanks tons

(1 replies, posted in Romance Inc.)

Welcome back Janet. Love to hear about that airshow

TirzahLaughs wrote:
MrsPiddles wrote:
Ann Everett wrote:

but book covers need someone with a graphic design program.

So good to know. But I had to learn the hard way to get a sample before paying any money. Not many young people or adult horse people like the cover for my first book, The Black Pony. The poor horse looks like he's about to fall over - to say nothing of the ridiculous expression on his face. And the artist refused to make any changes without more money. This cost nearly $300, and it's all clip art.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Pony-Adven … 00DD8NKQM/

I have a free how-to guide on how to make your own ebook cover without photoshop.  If you want the instructions, I'm happy to share them.

Tirazh, I'd love to see that guide. I'm trying to figure out how to format some photos for a picture book as well. It will be a little gift for my granddaughter who is just 5. She finally got her way this year and got to grow sunflowers. They reached 9 feet tall. The book will be "Layla's Big Big Flower"

(3 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Absolutely, DJokolot! You will love it here. I learn something new every day. Just to think that talent such as you find in here is looking at my work, and giving me valuable suggestions, is mind blowing.  I loved your first short story, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Write On!
MzP

Ann Everett wrote:

but book covers need someone with a graphic design program.

So good to know. But I had to learn the hard way to get a sample before paying any money. Not many young people or adult horse people like the cover for my first book, The Black Pony. The poor horse looks like he's about to fall over - to say nothing of the ridiculous expression on his face. And the artist refused to make any changes without more money. This cost nearly $300, and it's all clip art.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Pony-Adven … 00DD8NKQM/

This is good info for anyone even if the project is still way out there on the horizon. Thanks

(18 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I wasn't really hoping much. I know the extreme talent I'm up against. But I saw this post and got a little excited.

I've been working on edits and revisions today, and I noticed little 'thumbs up' icons in the comment boxes next to each comment made in the inline dialog box. I clicked one, and a little bitty zero next to the reviewer's name changed to a '1'. Has anyone else seen this? Or have I just been hiding under a rock all these months? When was it put there?

(7 replies, posted in Texas Authors)

Finer than frog hair split four ways.

(8 replies, posted in Romance Inc.)

A woman in a small town in East Texas found out that her husband was having an affair - while working out of town. Feeling betrayed and humiliated, she decided to leave him, but unsure of her future, she confided in a few of her friends. One day the constable knocked on her door. She invited him in for a glass of iced tea, but he said it was an official visit. He said "I've heard talk that you were thinking of leaving Billy. You know, stupid people can come up missing around here." Then he rocked back on his heels and stroked the .44 strapped to his side - and gazed across the highway at the Davy Crockett National Forest.

How do you make a novel out of what really did happen? To me?

If anyone has a few minutes to spare from the valuable time of writing - and keeping up with daily chores - then they should read these absolutely compelling threads about total and fully absorbing nonsense. I've written 2500+ words today (most of which will likely be tossed) done two loads of clothes, hung them on the line and taken them down and folded them, cooked three meals and cleaned the kitchen, made the beds  and cleaned the floors. fed and worked the horse - and the dog, and finally had four, count them, four rum and cokes (doubles mind you) Oh, yeah, we had a storm today, so I had to medicate the dog to keep her from dying of fright. And I still had time to read this. I laughed until tears ran down my face. I'm writing a story where five women get married, so that they can find one guy whom they will share, and in the mean time, they must figure out how to save the world - and there's no sex in this one! Personally, I'm a cowboy with all the trimmings, but I'm a wife and mother to boot.

Write On my brothers and sisters! I learn more from you than I ever did in four years of college!