Topic: Clarification - No Groups are Mandatory

Hi all,

I wanted to make one piece of group information clear. TheNextBigWriter Premium and TheNextBigWriter Free are not mandatory groups. If you want to drop one or both to make room for other groups, you can.

I saw some confusion about that on a forum thread.

Sol

Re: Clarification - No Groups are Mandatory

That's correct. It would be expensive to have a credit group but I just wanted to let people know they could do it.

Free groups are easy to leave and join.

SolN wrote:

It would be expensive to have a credit group but I just wanted to let people know they could do it.

Is this because you would lose any credits you've accumulated with this group? But you would keep credits you've accumulated with, for example, another group which operates by the point system?

(Sorry, I'm a little confused about how it all works. I didn't know leaving a group could be "expensive," and I'm not sure what that means. I assume by "expensive" you're referring to accumulated review points, not money.) smile

So if you left TNBW Premium before accumulating any credits for review work you've done there, and you came back later because you decided you miss the group, that wouldn't cost anything. It's leaving after doing the work that is expensive? It would be like closing your TNBW account and then coming back -- all the points would be cancelled?

Is there a video or something that explains the credit system via groups? I'm sincerely flummoxed on all this. Are we doubling our credit earnings if we review a work that is available in two groups we're in that use a credit system? And if I leave one but not the other, I keep the credits for the one I stay in but lose the credits for the one I don't stay in? (I don't mean doubling our overall points -- but acquiring points in two credit groups simultaneously, as if we're on two different Tnbw sites?)

While in Free Groups all of this is moot because there is no credit system?

(If I'm correct, can I get a "By George, she's got it"?) wink

5 (edited by corra 2014-11-17 12:53:58)

Thanks KHippolite! Appreciated. smile

Okay, so it costs points to post work on TNBW as a whole -- yes? Unless we choose to make our posts credit-free site-wide.

It costs points to post to TNBW Premium, but not to TNBW Free.

Our current works have already been posted to TNBW Premium, TNBW Free, and the site as a whole. Anything additional we post may or may not cost points, depending on if we post to a group that has a credit system, but everything we'd posted at the old site up to this point has been auto-transferred to TNBW Free, TNBW Premium and the site as a whole.

If people leave TNBW Premium, those who have a lot posted as of the old site will lose a lot of credit points (because the works that cost points which were auto-posted via the site transfer will no longer be live on TNBW Premium. They'd have to use points to repost them all.) But they could leave and come back from the group without much risk if they just want to post new items to TNBW Premium going forward, and don't care about having lost those old TNBW posts from three years ago?

When we post a new work going forward, we will have to pay credit points separately for each of the groups we post to which have a credit system, including TNBW Premium, plus credit points to the site as a whole, if we want that post to be part of the credit system when it is reviewed? (And obviously, this is not optional in groups that use a credit system. To post there we must use points.)

But we could still participate in a group that costs points if we want to join for conversation. We just couldn't share work there unless willing to pay for it with credit points accumulated in that specific group. We could share it on the site as a whole though, or in other groups, of we have credit points elsewhere or want to post it without using the credit system in a Free Group.

When we review, we receive separate points earnings for any of the groups we are in where that work has been posted, and each of those groups act as separate sites, yes? But we would not receive points for (for example) The ROMANCE GROUP if we're not a member of that group, even if the work is posted in that group. We'd first have to join that group.

(Is there a way to see what our credit balance is for each group that has a point system? Or is this tallied on our profile somewhere? I see a bulk point accumulation on my HOME PAGE, but I don't understand how this correlates to all the separate groups? I don't see it on the Home Page of the TNBW Premium Group either? It says I have 2.30 points on my Home Page. I don't know what that means.)

(Also, a side note for Sol: I'm subscribed to this conversation and received no notification that KHippolite answered. I've checked my SPAM folder. It's been working in the past, but isn't currently for me, apparently.)

I feel like I'm playing Bamboozle. smile

When we post a new work going forward, we will have to pay credit points separately for each of the groups we post to which have a credit system, including TNBW Premium, plus credit points to the site as a whole, if we want that post to be part of the credit system when it is reviewed? (And obviously, this is not optional in groups that use a credit system. To post there we must use points.)
But we could still participate in a group that costs points if we want to join for conversation. We just couldn't share work there unless willing to pay for it with credit points accumulated in that specific group. We could share it on the site as a whole though, or in other groups, of we have credit points elsewhere or want to post it without using the credit system in a Free Group.
When we review, we receive separate points earnings for any of the groups we are in where that work has been posted, and each of those groups act as separate sites, yes? But we would not receive points for (for example) The ROMANCE GROUP if we're not a member of that group, even if the work is posted in that group. We'd first have to join that group.
(Is there a way to see what our credit balance is for each group that has a point system? Or is this tallied on our profile somewhere? I see a bulk point accumulation on my HOME PAGE, but I don't understand how this correlates to all the separate groups? I don't see it on the Home Page of the TNBW Premium Group either? It says I have 2.30 points on my Home Page. I don't know what that means.)

This is close but not entirely accurate. The way the system works now, you have a central bank of points for all groups. It is not broken out by group and points earned in one group can be used in another. Even if you post in two different point groups, the content only pays the listed number of points (and not double points). And even if you post it in a Free group, the content will stay pay points.

Looking at it now, I don't think this is actually the ideal system and I am going to simplify it. Once you pay points to post it in one credit group, you can post it in any other credit or free group.

Sol

SolN wrote:

This is close but not entirely accurate. The way the system works now, you have a central bank of points for all groups. It is not broken out by group and points earned in one group can be used in another. Even if you post in two different point groups, the content only pays the listed number of points (and not double points). And even if you post it in a Free group, the content will stay pay points.

Looking at it now, I don't think this is actually the ideal system and I am going to simplify it. Once you pay points to post it in one credit group, you can post it in any other credit or free group.

Sol

Sounds like a really good idea Sol!  Thanks for sticking with us whingers!  big_smile

SolN wrote:

Sol

Sounds good. Thanks sir. smile

(Also, this time I received an email notification on this thread.)

corra wrote:
SolN wrote:

Sol

Sounds good. Thanks sir. smile

Sol, I agree it sounds good on paper, but I'm not quite clear on how this change is going to work. As I understand it, at present each group can decide what "credits" if any are required to post within that group. So if the above change is made does that mean one could post something in a very low credit group and then it is also posted in all other groups for no additional credits even though other groups might require more credits for posting? Inquiring minds want to know. I can see it is going to take some time to get all the wrinkles ironed out. Good luck. Take care. Vern

Sol, I agree it sounds good on paper, but I'm not quite clear on how this change is going to work. As I understand it, at present each group can decide what "credits" if any are required to post within that group. So if the above change is made does that mean one could post something in a very low credit group and then it is also posted in all other groups for no additional credits even though other groups might require more credits for posting? Inquiring minds want to know. I can see it is going to take some time to get all the wrinkles ironed out. Good luck. Take care. Vern

The credit system is the same for all groups so that won't be a problem. It does mean though that someone could do all of their reviewing in one group and then post their work in another, where they haven't contributed reviews. But that could happen under the current system also.

This is quite reasonable. If we didn't allow cross-group use of credits, it would thwart any attempt to start a new group. When the first person formed the group, he would soon find no content to review in order to gain points to post.

This assumes that everyone who joins groups is from the old site and it ignores new users who come to the site to set up their own groups or start their own writing spaces. Not everyone wants to be a part of the old TheNextBigWriter. I think that's why the site was built like it was. How man people were there on the old site? Four hundred, maybe five hundred? If that's all the site can attract then it is dead in the water.  Recreating the old site on here isn't exactly a recipe for success.

cobber wrote:

This is quite reasonable. If we didn't allow cross-group use of credits, it would thwart any attempt to start a new group. When the first person formed the group, he would soon find no content to review in order to gain points to post.

This assumes that everyone who joins groups is from the old site and it ignores new users who come to the site to set up their own groups or start their own writing spaces. Not everyone wants to be a part of the old TheNextBigWriter. I think that's why the site was built like it was. How man people were there on the old site? Four hundred, maybe five hundred? If that's all the site can attract then it is dead in the water.  Recreating the old site on here isn't exactly a recipe for success.

If the only measure of success is a number, maybe. But if you're measuring the success of TNBW (old) it by member longevity, and active participation, I couldn't disagree with that assessment more. Most of us have been members of multiple internet sites. Lord knows I've belonged to many. The ONLY site I've remained loyal to is this one. The main reason is this site wasn't originally designed to be trendy or gimmicky. It was a place where serious writers connected with other serious writers for the purpose of learning and growing. The community in that sense, was unparalleled. 

With this redesign, Sol has decided to shoot for some of the flashy trends. Only time will tell if the spirit of this site will persevere the change, or if this will become another in a very long line of writing sites that die from having too much gimmick for gimmick sake.

I'm afraid that I'm going to sound stupid here, but here we go.  If I post to a non-points site with a short story (as well as premium TNBW), and then put (publish) my story onto a group, are you saying that no one who reviews this is going to get points for reading it?