Re: New member? Introduce yourself!

rach_elle wrote:

Hi all!  I was an active member several years ago, but for many reasons moved to different forms of critique.  Now I'm back and excited to start getting to know everyone again.

I write romance in various genres.  My two self-published books are contemporary romance and romantic fantasy, and my current WIP is a romantic comedy.  I'll start posting in a week or two, once I've had time to get re-acclimated to the site and get some reading/reviewing done.

Welcome back! The site changed just a little bit. Okay, a lot, but once you're used to it, you won't be able to remember what the old site was like! smile

27 (edited by bimmy 2016-09-06 01:55:46)

Hey Rach! I'm in the same boat. Back after a two year hiatus. Started posting a contemporary romance but I normally do heavy sci-fi fantasy romance.

It's fun being back!

Bimmy

thanks, Janet and bimmy!  I recognize both your names, which is reassuring in a strange way smile

Hi, I'm a new member from Stockholm, Sweden. I've been an artist for a decade working with ink, but at the same time my pile of manuscripts were mysteriously growing under my drawing table. This year I finally acknowledged that I don't want to paint for a living anymore, I want to write. I'm also a mother of two, so these two jobs I'm juggling is bringing me very little food on the table, which is why I'm using these few months I've got now (before I possibly need to get a second, I mean third job) to write like the wind.

I write romance, and because I love to read quite explicit romance (you know the kind that doesn't do the fade out and dot.dot.dot thing but actually sweep the reader deeper into the scene until it's over) I've decided to push myself to write pretty explicit myself. I don't know why my writing is so brave when I'm such a shy person at heart, also I know that because I struggle balancing this newly found challenge/passion in writing I'm pretty sure I need to write a lot before I find my "voice", especially in scenes like that.

So that's why I'm here.... to practice my writing in English, and find a safe place to bounce my ideas and my writing.

My latest finished manuscript is about 33 000 words. That's considered a novel isn't it? Most "proper" books start at minimum of 50 K words? I've seen 70K too. Seem to vary? Anyway, it's a sci-fi romance set in a pretty dystopian future, but I try to keep it in a world we can still relate to, funny and not too scary. I'd love to share it with you guys as it's the shaky beginning of a series. This is actually based on blurbs I wrote many years ago while I was working two illustration jobs (it's nice to go back and see if I have any gems I can polish in my drawer as I learn to write, at least I don't have to re-invent the wheel every time).

I've started on book two, (blurbs, scribbles) and I think what could happen is that I merge the books eventually but that would mean I have to re-write the entire first book since mixing heroine voices using "I laughed" is so much harder than when you write from a third person perspective (she laughed). How to separate the characters if they all are inside their heads sort of? haha

I'll upload my first novel (ugh so scary) and I call it Blush. I might call the series Angel Falls. If you have time to lend me your eyes and your thoughts I'd be forever greatful. Thank you for reading <3

Welcome back Rach!! I wondered where you went, but glad to see you back!

And welcome to all newcomers. Feel free to hit any of us on this forum, or through messages/reviews.

Welcome back, Rach.

Ava Bond wrote:

Hi, I'm a new member from Stockholm, Sweden. I've been an artist for a decade working with ink, but at the same time my pile of manuscripts were mysteriously growing under my drawing table. This year I finally acknowledged that I don't want to paint for a living anymore, I want to write. I'm also a mother of two, so these two jobs I'm juggling is bringing me very little food on the table, which is why I'm using these few months I've got now (before I possibly need to get a second, I mean third job) to write like the wind.

I write romance, and because I love to read quite explicit romance (you know the kind that doesn't do the fade out and dot.dot.dot thing but actually sweep the reader deeper into the scene until it's over) I've decided to push myself to write pretty explicit myself. I don't know why my writing is so brave when I'm such a shy person at heart, also I know that because I struggle balancing this newly found challenge/passion in writing I'm pretty sure I need to write a lot before I find my "voice", especially in scenes like that.

So that's why I'm here.... to practice my writing in English, and find a safe place to bounce my ideas and my writing.

My latest finished manuscript is about 33 000 words. That's considered a novel isn't it? Most "proper" books start at minimum of 50 K words? I've seen 70K too. Seem to vary? Anyway, it's a sci-fi romance set in a pretty dystopian future, but I try to keep it in a world we can still relate to, funny and not too scary. I'd love to share it with you guys as it's the shaky beginning of a series. This is actually based on blurbs I wrote many years ago while I was working two illustration jobs (it's nice to go back and see if I have any gems I can polish in my drawer as I learn to write, at least I don't have to re-invent the wheel every time).

I've started on book two, (blurbs, scribbles) and I think what could happen is that I merge the books eventually but that would mean I have to re-write the entire first book since mixing heroine voices using "I laughed" is so much harder than when you write from a third person perspective (she laughed). How to separate the characters if they all are inside their heads sort of? haha

I'll upload my first novel (ugh so scary) and I call it Blush. I might call the series Angel Falls. If you have time to lend me your eyes and your thoughts I'd be forever greatful. Thank you for reading <3

Welcome to TNBW Ava! We've been quiet around here lately, but don't let that stop you from starting a thread if you have any questions. Someone will step forward from lurking and leave a reply/suggestion/answer! We have a really good bunch of people all over the site - everyone has their own strengths and all put together will give you great feedback to improve your writing. It can be daunting when you see those first reviews, but keep it mind it's coming from a good place and everyone here just wants to help and be helped! Hardest bit sometimes is to know which suggestions to embrace, which ones to adopt and which ones to let go, but you'll get the hang of it, just give it time!

The single best piece of advice I have for you is to start reviewing (you also learn from doing them and need it to get points to post your own writing). And the site works on a reciprocating basis - it's expected to return review for review unless you agree with someone else that it's not expected (that also happens, but not that much in my experience).

I also think it would be good to let people know if English is your second language and if you're after specific help. It's not a requirement, but it's good to know this when you're doing reviews.

I'll leave you to find your feet and yeah, if you have any questions, just let us know - here, messaging or whatever works for you!

Glad to have another Romance writer around!!!

33 (edited by Ava Bond 2016-10-12 08:33:42)

Janet (AJ) Reid wrote:

Welcome to TNBW Ava! We've been quiet around here lately, but don't let that stop you from starting a thread if you have any questions. Someone will step forward from lurking and leave a reply/suggestion/answer! We have a really good bunch of people all over the site - everyone has their own strengths and all put together will give you great feedback to improve your writing. It can be daunting when you see those first reviews, but keep it mind it's coming from a good place and everyone here just wants to help and be helped! Hardest bit sometimes is to know which suggestions to embrace, which ones to adopt and which ones to let go, but you'll get the hang of it, just give it time!

The single best piece of advice I have for you is to start reviewing (you also learn from doing them and need it to get points to post your own writing). And the site works on a reciprocating basis - it's expected to return review for review unless you agree with someone else that it's not expected (that also happens, but not that much in my experience).

I also think it would be good to let people know if English is your second language and if you're after specific help. It's not a requirement, but it's good to know this when you're doing reviews.

I'll leave you to find your feet and yeah, if you have any questions, just let us know - here, messaging or whatever works for you!

Glad to have another Romance writer around!!!

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yes! It was scary, but amazing! Now I only worry what will happen as I turn up the steam, I'm challenging myself to write more explicit (in a way that I like to read sex scenes) because I'm usually so shy.

I'm not sure I'm ready to show it to the world, I'd feel so much safer showing it more private to a smaller group of romance readers and writers who knows what they are in for... makes sense?

How did you go about it?
How explicit do you write?

If it wasn't for those scenes I'd feel less concerns regarding posting my second chapter (but I'd still worry people would think I didn't learn anything from my first reviews haha, this is very scary no matter how you look at it). I'm afraid I'll offend someone, or that they will find my writing cheap because I'm a beginner and still finding my voice, especially in scenes like that.

With all this said, I feel like I'm growing so much as a writer already. This place is amazing.

Now I only worry what will happen as I turn up the steam, I'm challenging myself to write more explicit (in a way that I like to read sex scenes) because I'm usually so shy.
I'm not sure I'm ready to show it to the world, I'd feel so much safer showing it more private to a smaller group of romance readers and writers who knows what they are in for... makes sense?

You can start a group and make it as open or private as you want. When you post your writing, only post it to that group. That way, only people you want to look at your writing, will know it exists and will be able to leave reviews. You can always ask around here for people from the Romance community to let you know if they are interested. I haven't created a private group yet, but it should be fairly easy to do. If you have any questions, you can ask SolN or in the Premium forum for help.

How did you go about it?
How explicit do you write?

I write fairly explicit/accurate/to the point, but don't use explicit body part descriptions. I know of at least writer that had been skipping the sex scenes, but not anymore as part of growing and doing something that he otherwise never would've. That said, we're really lucky in that we have a good male representation - they're absolutely great to get the male perspective right.
If it wasn't for those scenes I'd feel less concerns regarding posting my second chapter (but I'd still worry people would think I didn't learn anything from my first reviews haha, this is very scary no matter how you look at it). I'm afraid I'll offend someone, or that they will find my writing cheap because I'm a beginner and still finding my voice, especially in scenes like that.
I give a warning as part of the chapter note/review guidance if there's any sex scenes in the chapter. Those that want to avoid it, can.
As for offending anyone, don't let that ever stop you from writing anything. And no one knows who you are in real life - you're just pixels to us! smile You can let people also know that you're jus starting out and still finding your voice - 99.9% of everyone will be supportive but honest to help you through the worse. We've ALL been there! Trust me, my first chapter I've ever posted was ripped apart. I'm still learning after a couple of years on TNBW. I don't think I'll ever stop learning. So that's also no excuse! So stop worrying and start writing! smile
Two pieces of the best advice I have for now:
-- Sex scenes are just a special kind of action scene, so if you can write/review a fist fight, you can write/review a sex scene
-- Don't let the naysayers into your head - write what you want to write and forget about the church ladies, your mother, or whoever you never want to see your writing
Hope some of this helps!!!!
ps - I'm also pretty shy in real life - I force myself to be assertive at work and when situations ask for it - and then I need quiet and being by myself to recharge again, so you're not alone!

Hello everyone!
I'm a new memeber to the group..

satvika wrote:

Hello everyone!
I'm a new memeber to the group..

Welcome to TNBW and Romance Inc! smile

Hi new member here!

Hi everyone!
I don't write in the romance genre, but all of my writing contains a heavy dose of romance, so I hope that is acceptable.
I have a self-published ebook that is a YA western, ghost story with a sweet romance. How's that for a mix of genres? My WIP is a YA fantasy, also with romance. I'm looking forward to participating in this group.

Hello! I just joined today and was so happy to find a Romance group! I adore romance. I've been reading it since before I was probably supposed to and it is my ultimate favorite to write. I'm currently working on a series on marriages of convenience. I love the troupe and so far it's going well! I'm really looking forward to being a part of this group.

satvika wrote:

Hi new member here!

A really late welcome! If you have any questions, ask away! I'm not around as often as I would like to be, but I take a peek every now and again!

Happy writing!

K.M. McDonough wrote:

Hi everyone!
I don't write in the romance genre, but all of my writing contains a heavy dose of romance, so I hope that is acceptable.
I have a self-published ebook that is a YA western, ghost story with a sweet romance. How's that for a mix of genres? My WIP is a YA fantasy, also with romance. I'm looking forward to participating in this group.

Wha?!!!!! I turn my back for a couple of days and a heap of new members creep through the open front door?!

Welcome KM! That does sound like a good mix you have going! And no problem, we welcome people that write all kinds of romance and Romance! Don't be shy to start new threads and ask any questions you may have. We will try our best to help where we can.

Jennifer Lewis wrote:

Hello! I just joined today and was so happy to find a Romance group! I adore romance. I've been reading it since before I was probably supposed to and it is my ultimate favorite to write. I'm currently working on a series on marriages of convenience. I love the troupe and so far it's going well! I'm really looking forward to being a part of this group.

Hi Jennifer, it's been quiet around here, but we're always lurking! Not sure if it's really quiet because of NaNo, or not, but we can be chatty when the mood strikes us. Let us know if you have any questions! Glad to have another Romance enthusiast!!!!

Hey everyone! I'm Alice and I just joined this group. I'm new to tNBW and I joined because the little writer inside of me decided to have a fit at 3am and wouldn't let me sleep until I submitted to her wishes. I've been writing my entire life and I thought it was time to kick fear to the curb and share it with the world. My genre is YA so of course, it will be teeming with angsty romance (my favorite kind of romance). I'll be pushing the limits on how these characters behave toward each other (romance-wise) since they're a little older than the average YA heroes (18-24) so I thought I'd join this romance group. Basically, I want you all to critique the heck out of the unfolding relationships, call me out on unrealistic developments, and just enjoy what I have to offer. Can't wait to learn from you all!

Hello Everyone,
My name is Pat and I am a new writer.  I have just started my first novel. It is a romance and I am excited abot sharing and getting feedback.

Well, thought I'd stop by an re-introduce myself since it's been a loooong time since I've been by.
My name is Ang (or Penang if you prefer!) and I've been a tNBW member since 2008. I've workshopped a number of novels here and I'm working on what will be my tenth published novel right now. I write both YA and romance (typically paranormal). I love commercial romance (contemporary and paranormal) with some decent steam and am open to suggestions for reading/reviewing.

Hello there! I'm incredibly new to the writing world, kind of one of those people who writes but has no idea about any of the writer's lingo; a dabbler, I guess. I've joined this group specifically for critiques on my poems. The novel I'm at least attempting to write isn't romantic, and unlike other members here, I have no idea what genre it would fall under. I'm more comfortable sharing my poems, though, so I'm interested in hearing what people have to say about them! (And then, maybe, once I feel up to it I'll put out my general writings for people to scrutinize, but not yet).

Either way, I'm interested to read everyone's work, as well as have you read my own!

Hello,
I am new to this version of tNBW, but I was a member a long time ago.

Sometimes life throws a curve ball and you need to go back to the beginning to get back on track, so, here I am seeing if I can catch the magic writing once had for me.

My name is Mary, but I write under the name Emma Weylin, and my username is one my favorite characters.  I write paranormal and fantasy romance.

Hi there! My name is Najya and I’m an Afro-Caribbean activist and poet! I’ve been writing for more than ten years now, but I’ve been wanting a community to grow with, especially in preparing for more serious publications. I am writing a few poetry manuscripts and I hope to write a book of love letters for/to Black women who struggle with self doubt, depression and other mental health issues. I just posted my first poem, The Untouchable, to the group so feel free to tell me what you think. I’m excited and can’t wait to see this through!

Warmly, Najya

I joined this group because I tend to write romance into all of my work. I look forward to reading and learning from writers who specialize in romance.

Don

Hi! Newbie here...I guess my book isn't totally romance but it's there!