1 (edited by Dirk B. 2021-04-02 02:17:10)

Topic: Connections spammer

Sol, a writer named steve.jeff sent me a connection request because he wants to have business-oriented communications with me. Naturally, I declined.

Must be something in the water today.

Re: Connections spammer

I just got the same request.

Me too:
Hi buddy, How are you? Actually am new here and your profile seem to catch my eyes and I've read through it. I have a good feeling about this, can we be friends? If yes kindly Email me - steven.rj.217@gmail.com Or WhatsApp +2250585863777

The funny part about that, Elspeth, is that you haven't added your profile information yet.
Apparently my new business buddy, Steve, isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Dirk B. wrote:

Sol, a writer named steve.jeff sent me a connection request because he wants to have business-oriented communications with me. Naturally, I declined.

Must be something in the water today.

I received one from steve.jeff saying congratulations. Just deleted it without responding or connecting.

Thanks. I closed the account. Spammers have been out in force lately. Must be getting desperate.

7 (edited by Elspeth 2021-04-02 18:30:58)

Our new friend Steve is a bot without discernment but with lots of free time.

8 (edited by Randall Krzak 2021-04-08 09:36:35)

Just had a request from someone named Vela to publish my work on novelstar.top. Just checked and she's done 32 similar regular reviews on the works of various TNBWers before suggesting they publish on the same site.

Thanks, I just closed her account. Novelstar is a really shady operation. They have been spamming writing sites across the Internet. Must be desperate.

Thanks, SolN!

And another. Everyone, meet Steve007, a friendly, lovable bot who just wants to waste your time and steal your money, if possible. Let’s all give Steve007 a big welcome!
“ Hi Buddy ???? How are you? I have read and saw your profile. It's quite impressive! This message is to actually express my desire to be one of your friends and also have an opportunity to discuss with you something important and private. Can we be friends? If yes, I hope we can get along sometimes, I'm on WhatsApp +44 7466 951665 OR EMAIL me steven.rj.217@gmail.com God Bless you.”

I just got a review from Novelstar today. Deleted it.

Bill

"Mimiful" is also a Novelstar spammer.

Bill

This is like whack-a-mole.

I agree, Dirk. Outside of a massive amount of filtering, I can't think of a way to kill the beast. On the site I used to run a few years ago, we eventually had to resort to IP filtering. It worked, but it also left a few potential legal applicants for an account unable to log in if they were in the same IP range.

Bill

16 (edited by Randall Krzak 2021-04-10 07:50:24)

Another this morning from Novelstar--same as Bill, Mimiful. A second one from them labeled Unknown. Both deleted

How about this for new writers: Provide something traceable to a real address, OR endure a probation requiring verified content reviews within some period.  Reward writers for replying to, and verifying, the reviews.  I suggest a scale of three to five levels between vacuous review and serious analysis (empty of meaning, comments apply to story, comments may help the reader improve, comments show serious analysis, comments show deep/extensive analysis   ?).  Three reviews above empty, and a total of, say six points (if using a zero-to-four scale) ?

Another option is to allow long-term members to immediately suspend a new account pending review by the site admin(s). This doesn't address ways of encouraging long-term memberships and improving writing/reviews, which were discussed in Sol's thread.

19 (edited by B Douglas Slack 2021-04-10 18:56:57)

Dirk B. wrote:

Another option is to allow long-term members to immediately suspend a new account pending review by the site admin(s). This doesn't address ways of encouraging long-term memberships and improving writing/reviews, which were discussed in Sol's thread.

Or, to simply allow certain long-term users (not all) to either delete a new profile, or have it held in abeyance for review by higher authority. I am a Moderator for Booksie and I can delete a spam account wherever I find it.

Bill

Hi Sol. I blocked Vela/Novelstar, but she/they have found a way around it. She now goes by "Unknown" and tries to sell the same nonsense. They seem VERY savvy, pc-wise. I trashed all her comments.
Mike

Thanks. We're brainstorming ways of keeping these miscreants off the site. They're very persistent and seem to think this is the way to promote their product.

Thanks, Sol. Hopefully soon they'll get tired of trying. Let 'em make less work for you.

I just blocked Deerr/Novelstar this morning. Yet another spamming account (which has yet to be deleted).

Bill

SolN wrote:

Thanks. We're brainstorming ways of keeping these miscreants off the site. They're very persistent and seem to think this is the way to promote their product.

They might also be trying to get people to login to a site loaded with malware.

Evening. Sol. Off track, I received three in-line reviews for my contest entry, Leviathan, but I'm not able to access them. Can you help me?
Thanks,
Mike