Hey Dirk,
Sorry, but I am a little confused about what a "grave sinner" is. I went back a page and couldn't find a good definition. I assume it's someone who has died and is in a grave.
George FLC
26 2025-11-20 18:55:42
Re: Savior of the Damned (the Connor series) by Dirk B. (1,492 replies, posted in Fantasy/Magic & Sci-Fi)
27 2025-11-19 16:40:18
Re: Hello (3 replies, posted in Historical Fiction)
Welcome aboard Jon,
This site is great if you use it correctly. We have very good writers and a few who have published. So, find the ones that you can work with and learn. I keep a "tips" file that I refer back to.
Have thick skin. People will make comments about your work that you might not appreciate, so keep what makes sense. But remember that you have to like your story at the end of the day. That was some advice given to me.
Do the contests. They're great. They stretch my mind.
Put more info into your Profile if you want. I want to know what your genre is and if you have a tech background or history (just a hobby?) or whatever.
I generally use the In-line Reviews. So, if I read a story of yours, please comment on at least a few of my comments so that I know what you're looking for. Some people aren't worried about -ly adverbs! And I hope to remember that. Many of the really good writers don't bother much on some technical grammar details.
Again, welcome aboard
George FLC
28 2025-11-17 20:07:39
Re: Grammarly's New Generative AI Capabilities (3 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I could not find a good definition of generative AI from previous postings so here is one generated by Grok (Musk's AI):
Generative AI (often shortened to GenAI) is a category of artificial intelligence that can create new content from scratch — things that didn’t exist before.
It learns patterns from huge amounts of data (text, images, audio, video, code, 3D models, etc.) and then generates new examples that look and feel similar to the training data.
Hope this helps.
George FLC
29 2025-11-17 20:06:32
Re: Grammarly's New Generative AI Capabilities (3 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
From what I learned, MS Word's editing is AI driven as well. I personally believe that AI will never generate creative ideas so it's usable as a tool for things like editing.
George FLC
30 2025-11-15 21:54:20
Re: Using AI to do reviews? Please don't. (81 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Grok (Musk's AI) helps me with researching a couple projects. Don't worry. I'm not doing reviews with it! And it can be easier than trying to track down something on my own. It found out something about social security for me.
George FLC
31 2025-11-15 20:37:37
Re: Using AI to do reviews? Please don't. (81 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
That is a great hobby. There has to be a few stories you could write based on the ham radio and your programming experiences.
Writing is another great hobby. I hope to someday publish a book, but I know that writing will help keep my neurons firing even if I never publish. And I enjoy it.
Keep on writing and hamming... I know that's not the proper way of saying it... what is the proper way to say something like - keep on hamming?
George FLC
32 2025-11-15 19:20:23
Re: Using AI to do reviews? Please don't. (81 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
May I ask: what is the furthest distance country that you communicate with? None of my business but I am curious.
George FLC
33 2025-11-15 14:18:35
Re: The Life & Times of Gandalf the Beige (73 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
That fixed it. Nice video. And nice cabinets but nothing is in them. Better fill them up in preparation of the next blizzard.
34 2025-11-15 14:12:39
Re: Using AI to do reviews? Please don't. (81 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
And you used ham radio? I'm impressed. Do you still call across the globe with it? My next-door neighbor has a ham antenna in his back yard. It's kinda big.
George FLC
35 2025-11-14 22:44:36
Re: The Life & Times of Gandalf the Beige (73 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I tried the link:
404. That’s an error.
The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.
And then it threw me out of TNBW.
36 2025-11-14 18:18:03
Re: Using AI to do reviews? Please don't. (81 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I give up! Bill wins the ancient programming award...
George FLC
37 2025-11-14 17:18:12
Re: Using AI to do reviews? Please don't. (81 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Assembler? Tsk, tsk. Kids these days.
Charlton Heston would have poked machine code directly into RAM!
On a Timex Sinclair 1000!!!
Before breakfast.
Hopefully, he had a couple cups of java...
George FLC
38 2025-11-13 22:35:55
Re: Using AI to do reviews? Please don't. (81 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
And I used COBOL as well! So there!!! And Pascal and assembler. Beat that!
George FLC
39 2025-11-13 15:20:29
Re: Using AI to do reviews? Please don't. (81 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I also go back to punched cards. I also learned FORTRAN and BASIC. Wow. That industry has progressed!
George FLC
40 2025-11-13 15:18:35
Re: Where Is Everyone? (29 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Hey Alan,
Sorry for your loss. I hope that writing/reviewing allows you to fill some of your empty times.
George FLC
41 2025-11-08 23:04:45
Re: Where Is Everyone? (29 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Very good, Bill! I like it. :-)
42 2025-11-08 22:58:04
Re: Where Is Everyone? (29 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
If he's that smart, then he should join this website. His stories might be great!
Is there a feline discount?
43 2025-11-07 22:41:04
Re: Where Is Everyone? (29 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
J.R.,
I've read 3 of your stories and owe you 1 more. We have had some good discussions as well. I might also owe a couple others some reciprocations. Sorry about that, all. My life got flipped around a little.
I've been wanting to post one chapter from my Tribe book, but I was inspired with a discussion with you J.R. and the chapter got more complicated. So, I'll blame you for my slow posting! :-)
And congratulations on the new grand babies Marilyn and Bill. Be blessed.
George FLC
44 2025-11-06 14:19:29
Re: Article on AI (7 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
I just started reading the article. Thanks, Dirk. It's interesting. AI itself doesn't scare me, but this article might change some of that. And it's who is using the AI that scares me and if they have a system that is far superior to others. AI is a tool. And tools can be used to conquer and control. AI engines function on statistics not on ethics as the article notes. But what if very unethical people construct it. We hope for neutral programmers.
Keep on reading!
45 2025-10-04 23:15:41
Re: Savior of the Damned (the Connor series) by Dirk B. (1,492 replies, posted in Fantasy/Magic & Sci-Fi)
Sorry if this is useless but I read above and tried some new names. I think they're somewhat clean from previous usage.
Earth's Twilight
Heavenly Twilight
The Twilight Grows
The Twilight Spirit
The Twilight Chronicles (album from 2006)
Chronicles of the New Christ
46 2025-09-23 18:57:09
Re: Savior of the Damned (the Connor series) by Dirk B. (1,492 replies, posted in Fantasy/Magic & Sci-Fi)
Hey Kdot. I like the lightning bolts and the dark irises.
47 2025-09-22 13:00:18
Re: Gemini's iterative image editing (3 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
The final pic is definitely unearthly or inhuman. The halo glow on the first image is better. I imagine that Gemini improvements will help with that.
I don't know if it's the eyes, but the second image is more zombie-ish.
48 2025-09-15 13:55:58
Re: New members, please say hello. We don't bite. Hard. :-) (17 replies, posted in Fantasy/Magic & Sci-Fi)
Welcome to the site. Definitely, fill out your profile info. I want to know what kind of genre you like. Also, start posting if you can or start reading to see if there are others with your interests.
49 2025-09-12 18:35:29
Re: The Life & Times of Gandalf the Beige (73 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Nice looking cat. The far-right pics of the top row show the cat looking at its name. He must be pondering what it means.
50 2025-09-06 16:33:32
Re: Do Over Contest Winners Posted (8 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)
Great job everyone. These contests are fun. Let's keep on doing them.