(61 replies, posted in Romance Inc.)

Welcome RM!

(4 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I viewed this on my laptop, but the wording was still hard for me to read. It felt cramped and the words seemed to run in each other. I'm not sure if it was the font color, font size, or the font style, or all of it together. I found myself unable to read the whole thing so I don't know what the flyer is really about (which might end up being the case for other people too).

(296 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Charles_F_Bell wrote:

Sure, an unintentional punctuation error respecting your grandma can be amusing, but to suggest either all girls are morons or all girls like to alter an unambiguous statement to a different meaning by means of punctuation is not funny.

I'm thinking you and I came away from that article with two completely different views. And that's okay. Bottom line of this thread: correct punctuation is important.

(55 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

A good article to listen to. Thanks!

Charles_F_Bell wrote:
Danielle Buckingham wrote:

My favorite: " Let's eat Grandma!" or "Let's eat, Grandma!"
Punctuation saves lives. tongue

Sometimes, the pause function for punctuation applies.

Two questions run together or one question:
What that in the road ahead?
What's that in the road, ahead. [No]
What's that in the road? A head? [Maybe]

Commas for the purpose of dangling a word or phrase at  the end of a sentence should be avoided, or just do not use those phrases, especially participles, at the end of sentence.

He stopped realizing he had already won the race.
He stopped, realizing he had already won the race.

It's just a simple joke to illustrate punctuation is important.

My favorite: " Let's eat Grandma!" or "Let's eat, Grandma!"
Punctuation saves lives. tongue

(15 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I believe I've settled it. Finally. It feels right.
Joselyn ("JAW"-za-lin)
Adhemar (simply no other spelling felt right.)

KHippolite - I see your point. For Jocelyn (or other spelling) I think it'd be Joss for nickname. Only, when people address her it'd be formal "Lady Jocelyn". So its still there. I figure I change the spelling in one or both and that should be good enough. I've given myself a headache long enough over this. Lol. smile

njc, that is worth thinking about....

Thanks j p lundstrom. That's what I've been thinking. But the world we live in is "sue-happy" and I'd just rather try to avoid it, but since I've gone the route of renaming and it didn't work, changing the spelling of one name would most likely help avoid the lawsuit mess

(a like apple) A-deh-mar is how I pronounce it.
Other pronunciations have the a longer like "Ah". Ah-dee-mar

Out of those variations, I like best:
Jozlyn
Joslyn
Jocelin
Josalind

Now to pick one (if I decide to spell change)

I'm not sure how to do spelling change for Adhemar. But Jocelyn can be Joicelyn, Joice, Josalynn, Josaline, Jossline, Joslin, Joycelyn, Josceline, Josline, Joceline, Jozlyn, Jocelyne, Joslyn, Joyce, Josalind, Josiline, Joycelin, Jocelin, Josalyn, Joscelyn, Josselyn, Joselina, Josslyn, Josilyn. (found of nameberry.com)

I'll definitely look at this route. Thanks for the idea njc!

Another thing would be copyright infringement. I looked it up and it sounded like I can use the names so long as my characters don't act or talk exactly like the characters in the movie. And also I'm not using the other character names and I'm definitely not using the storyline. And since the movie characters are not a trademark character thing, and their names are real historical names, it should okay. If I'm understanding it right???

So if anyone remembers, I discovered the names for my two Main Characters were also the names of two Main Characters from a movie almost 15 years ago. And honestly, when I picked the names I had NO idea they were from the same movie. I've really, really tried renaming them, but my writing for the story has suffered--as in come to a complete screeching halt. I've thought of them, written about them, as Jocelyn and Adhemar for so long, no other names work.
So, here's my question is: should I keep them Jocelyn and Adhemar? Is that going to be a problem?

Honestly, I don't know what to do. I've spent hours upon hours upon hours looking at nearly every name imaginable for either one or both and its just not working. I can only think of two options, either leave them as is, or stop writing the story (for how long I don't know.) And I really don't want to stop writing the story. Help!

Thanks.
Danielle

(26 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

John--I hear you. And for some that really works, but it didn't for me. Kind of crazy how that works, huh? I can't really explain it, but when I would outline it was like I had already written the book; I had found out what would happen to the characters. Even though it technically wasn't "set in stone" it was in my mind. I can outline to a certain point--say three chapters ahead.
I don't know. Its just fascinating how different methods  work for different people.

John, I used to outline. I did it for a couple of stories, but then I lost all interest in them since I knew where it was going and what was going to happen. It was like the story was written in my head and then I was done with it. So now I go in with a general idea and a list of other ideas/options. And its how I approach every chapter. I go in with an idea of what the chapter is and then just let it take its course.

But again, this post wasn't intended to find out the "Rules" of chapter length or get advice. I just wanted to kind of see how other people do theirs. Purely curiosity.

Hey Linda Lee,
I know there's no 'rules' or anything like that; I was just curious about what other people did as far as chapter lengths. I'm so used to being aware of only my writing and how I do it, that I find it interesting to see how other people operate

Thanks for the posts.
I've been kind of all over as far as chapter word counts, but I usually stick to about 3,000-4,000 depending on what's happening in the chapter. If there's an "incident" with action the chapter is longer, if its more emotional/informational (I suppose you could say) then its usually shorter.

I'm just curious to see what other people do.
What is your average word length for your chapters? Do you try to stay within a certain range?

(6 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Thanks for the suggestions. A lot like you, njc, I want to review stories I like because I don't trust myself to be able to give a unbiased helpful review on stores I don't like.
Thanks Mike, Hunter has drawn my eye so I'll take a look.
Ceridwen, thank you for the suggestion, but I just don't like paranormal, magic, or other gods type stories. They're just not my cup of coffee.

(6 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Since I'm new to the site, I'm looking for books to review. On the old site, there used to be tag words which helped look for stuff. Now I find it kind of find it difficult to wade though the stories.

I'm looking for stories that are clean without overly sexual scenes (one or two are fine, but no erotica), nothing with too much cussing as I find a lot of cussing detracts from the story and ruins it or me, and no paranormal or occult of any kind.

Mystery, Crime, Drama, Romance, Fantasy, Historical, Christian, Adventure, Science Fiction, Comedy. I like all kinds of genres.

And books with the point system only. Any suggestions will help. Thanks. smile

(7 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Thanks Rebecca Vaughn. I love your description of Ferand! It actually does sound like that kind of guy! I do like the name Ioan. I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy so I didn't know about the villain, but I still really like that name. And Adhemar is gonna be held back for another story.
Thanks so much for your input! It helped.

(7 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Thanks everyone so far. I've decided to save Adhemar for a later story and go with Ronan on this one. Simply because I am so completely invested in the Female MC's name, Jocelyn, that no other name works. And trust me, I've looked at hundreds. Its her name and she won't settle for anything less. So unfortunately for Adhemar, he has to be renamed. Thanks to those who helped on this. It really did help a lot. smile

(282 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Thanks Norm. I saw you post in my Re-naming topic and that has been a slight hitch in the posting process. I'm currently trying to get Chapter One fixed and I'm going to have that up as soon as I can. smile