1 (edited by Dirk B. 2022-01-27 00:03:16)

Topic: How to use color, bold, underline, etc. in reviews

Jube, I decided to copy your post into its own thread since this isn't really a good fit for the welcome thread. Please let me know if you'd like me to change the subject line. And thanks for this.

Jube wrote:

Many of you may know that on other similar sites, you can adjust the font size (larger or smaller words), text color, bold words, underline words, and even include the dreaded emojis (either you love them or hate them). For now, TNBW doesn’t have these functions except at the very end where you have your respond to reviewer box and can change text colors, along with some other functions.

These are some of the HTML code strings that I use in my reviews should you wish to use them as well. Simply list them on a Word doc or such and when using, you copy / paste the code string directly into your edit box when reviewing someone:
This code string will place a strike-through line across the words you enter in the designated space. The words and strike line will be black unless you change “black” in the string to a different color of your choice. So you would copy/paste from the first *bracket p* to the end one into your edit box for commenting on reviews.  <p style="text-decoration:line-through;color:black;font-size:20px;"> type word(s) to be struck out with a line through here </p><p style="color:navy;font-size:20px;"> Put your comments not to be lined through here </p>

This code string will place an emoji of musical notes and then the wording “Too long a song” to indicate the writer’s line is too wordy. You can, of course, change the phrase and text color (indigo) to whatever you want. So it’s the same deal here, just copy/paste from the first *bracket p* to the end one into your edit box for commenting on reviews. <p style="font-size:30px;"> &#127926 </p> <p style="color:indigo;font-size:20px;"> Too long a song (wordy) </p>

This code string will place an emoji of hands clasped together to indicate being thankful and can also be used for praying. <p style="font-size:30px;"> &#128591 </p> <p style="color:teal;font-size:20px;"> Thank you! </p>

This code string places a hand writing with a pen and is useful to indicate you will be rewriting the line (if responding as the writer), or it can be used as a reviewer edit to signal that you think something should be rewritten. Yes, the emoji font is double-sized because it didn’t appear large enough to me under the normal font size used for other emojis. <p style="font-size:60px;"> &#9997 </p> <p style="color:teal;font-size:20px;"> I’ll rewrite this line </p>

This code string places an emoji of scissors to indicate you will cut something or you suggest something be cut as a reviewer. If you only want the emoji to show, then copy/paste up to the second *bracket p* and no farther. <p style="font-size:30px;"> &#9986 </p> <p style="color:indigo;font-size:20px;"> I’ll cut it. </p>

This code string places a facepalm emoji to indicate your feelings are pretty strong regarding what you just read. <p style="font-size:30px;"> &#129318 </p> <p style="color:teal;font-size:20px;"> That might be better </p>

This code string will place an emoji round face that is “thinking” rather than a smiley face one. I use this a lot in reviewing and responding to reviewers. <p style="font-size:30px;"> &#129300 </p> <p style="color:teal;font-size:20px;"> That might be better </p>

This code string places an emoji that is shrugging with hands up.  <p style="font-size:30px;"> &#129335 </p> <p style="color:indigo;font-size:20px;"> That works, too </p>

This code string places a robot face emoji to indicate the writer has lines that are of equal or near equal length and causing a robotic tone when read. <p style="font-size:30px;"> &#129302 </p> <p style="color:indigo;font-size:20px;"> You have consecutive lines that are of equal or near equal length giving it a robotic sound when read. Example: I am a robot. You are a robot. We are all robots. To fix—vary one or more of the line lengths. </p>

This code string places an OK emoji and should be self-explanatory when used to reply back to the reviewer comment. <p style="font-size:30px;"> &#127383 </p>

To bold a word or line of words, you just bracket both ends with these: <b> </b>. However, this command will keep the default font size and color (black text). If you want to change the font size and color, then you can play around with the code string — <p style="color:teal;font-size:20px;"><b> place text here </b></p>

To underline: <p style="color:teal;font-size:20px;"><u> place text here </u></p>

To italicize: <p style="color:teal;font-size:20px;"><i> place text here </i></p>

So there are some examples for you to use if so inclined. Another option is you can just keep the webpage of your choice (there’s several out on the net) open for HTML Emojis that can be copy/pasted as a direct image. The drawback is you can’t change its size and any text has to be manually added by you instead of just pasting it over. I use the copy/paste from a Word doc because it’s the fastest method I found. After all, reviews can take a while, so we don’t want to mess with something that eats up a lot of time. Hmm, I could probably paste in a string + emoji on a review in about 10-20 seconds. Many of you have faster fingers and can do even better.

PLEASE NOTE: The process has a bit of a speed bump on the inline review: 1. You highlight the writer’s text as usual, 2. You copy/paste in from your reference sheet the HTML code string you want, 3. When you click the SUBMIT button, the HTML coding will be erased, leaving only the normal text and color, 4. You open the comment box again using the edit symbol and re-enter your copy/paste string. Then when you click the SAVE button it will show everything you wanted. Why step 3 becomes a speed bump? I don’t know either. And, of course, if TNBW one day adds these functions as a built in toolbar, then this copy/paste method will be obsolete. For now, I hope it helps or at least livens up your reviews or responding back to reviews. There are many, many more HTML emojis out on the webpages for you to consider besides the examples I listed. Try to resist the temptation to grab the middle finger one if you can. Some of those are too harsh, IMO.

Re: How to use color, bold, underline, etc. in reviews

Does anyone know how to use color and the like in posted chapters?

Thank you! <b>Does it not work in the forums?</b>

4 (edited by Jube 2022-01-27 01:11:28)

I know the emojis work in the forums since I've seen some people using them, especially the smiley face. However, I don't think the HTML string codes, including the bold one, will work there. Some parts of TNBW I suspect aren't in the applicable HTML code. For example, this box I'm replying it won't take the alterations and only displays simple text format, which is kind of a let down.

Colors and other changes after opening an existing chapter under edit don't work. When the chapter is opened, there's a toolbar that pops up, and you are limited to what it offers.

Jube, when you have a moment, could you please delete your original post in the group's welcome thread? I don't have permission to do that.

Thanks
Dirk

Dirk, your other forum post has bold stuff, are there separate code things for the forums?

Apricots, use the Quote link at the bottom right of this post and you'll see the combinations for the formatting shown below. The codes are always used in pairs, enclosed in []. The second of each pair is preceded by a slash inside the [].

Italics.
Bold.
Underline.

You can also combine them, essentially by nesting.

Bold italics. - this is bold italics
Bold italics. - this is italics bold (same result, just a different order to the nested codes)

There are also code pairs for changing font color, although I can never remember what they are. Probably a variant of what Jube did above. Kdot or njc probably know what they are and what these code pairs are called. I don't think it's either HTML or XML.

If you see someone doing formatting in a post, and you want to know how it works, just hit the Quote link to see the hidden codes.

Marvelous, thank you! I expect to use it once in a blue moon, mainly when making wordy posts or posts with several points.