Topic: describing a character's looks

I wonder what the group thinks about the following character description:

He also thought his cadet uniform made him look more attractive to girls. In reality, he didn’t need it. He was slim and handsome, with his mother’s auburn hair and emerald-green eyes.

Generally, the advice I've received in the past is not to "tell" a person's looks, but to weave it into a story, possibly even separating the attributes as you go along so as to roll it out slowly. Personally, if I'm going to read about a character's looks, I'd rather it be done in one place, so I can picture it in my mind and then move on.

What about the above? I think I've set it up well with the first two sentences before a simple "tell". Yes?

Thanks
Dirk

Re: describing a character's looks

I don't have a problem with what you have. It's been done that way forever. This is what I have in Wilted Magnolias b/c I want folks to be breathless just as April is:

Opening the door, the women were greeted by the rumble of large mowers. A handsome young man—six-two, two hundred pounds, sun-bleached blond hair, sky-blue eyes, bronze tan, expansive chest and shoulders—walked up the steps. He wore jeans and a tank top with the high school mascot on front. "Miss Chastain?" he asked.
Gawking, April replied, "Yes?"

I don't see this as telling. It's relating what April sees and how it affects her. So, I'm good with yours.

I think it's fine. The problem comes when you have two or three or more descriptions like that in a row in your first chapter and it starts feeling kind of like reading a list. So doing it once at a great time is no big deal. Just be aware of where similar descriptionsituation are and space them out or use different means.

Bimmy

Norm d'Plume wrote:

I wonder what the group thinks about the following character description:

He also thought his cadet uniform made him look more attractive to girls. In reality, he didn’t need it. He was slim and handsome, with his mother’s auburn hair and emerald-green eyes.

Generally, the advice I've received in the past is not to "tell" a person's looks, but to weave it into a story, possibly even separating the attributes as you go along so as to roll it out slowly. Personally, if I'm going to read about a character's looks, I'd rather it be done in one place, so I can picture it in my mind and then move on.

What about the above? I think I've set it up well with the first two sentences before a simple "tell". Yes?

Thanks
Dirk

I have no problem with this. It tells us more about his character than his looks while giving us his looks too.

not mentioned is the narration style.

In 3rd omniscient, go ahead... fire away!

But in 3rd limited, it's a little intrusive. Other than resorting to that moment the character looks in a mirror, directly narrating their looks is a step away from the narrator's "home" position. Should be used sparingly.

Compare to a first person limited: "I walked through the front door and my partner looked into my beautiful brown eyes and said, 'hi'". This is weird in a limited POV. THe temptation in 3rd limited is to go ahead and do this because it's easy - no pronoun change. Yet, it's just as much of a shift in gears to omniscient.

I mention all this because ITMG tends to lean to limited. It might be pertinent to your question