Re: Another question about groups

Ditto to KHippolite that's one of the better suggestions IMO. But I'm still trying to generate interested in Kids Korner. I guess that means I need to post children's stories.

SolN wrote:

Ok. I give up. We'll raise the limit to 10 for Premium Members. It may take a couple of days for us to get around to it.

Sol

smile

I like the idea of idling neglected groups.  There are questions of how to do it, and whether the group should be scrapped or just mothballed.

I also like the idea that Premium and Free--the membership groups--have a different status.

I'm going to think out loud about groups over the next week or two.

What happens to a group if the founder/moderator closes their account or changes from Premium to Free status? Is the group without a moderator?

Since (as I understand it) free membership gets five groups now, and Premium ten groups, how will it be decided which groups a member can keep and which groups they can't if they drop to free status? Will it drop them from the latest ones they joined?

Sincerely, The Girl With Perhaps Too Many Questions. smile

Since (as I understand it) free membership gets five groups now, and Premium ten groups, how will it be decided which groups a member can keep and which groups they can't if they drop to free status? Will it drop them from the latest ones they joined?

Not exactly. Premium members will get 10 groups. Free members will stay at three.

If a user downgrades, they can choose which three groups they want to keep.

Sol

Okay, that makes sense. I was wondering about the logistics of an account lapse: meaning to upgrade again but not realizing your account had run out, and getting dropped momentarily from points groups. Cheers! smile

Sorry everyone!

I sat down and thought long and hard about what Sol said about wanting the premium group to be the central forum, and I'm switching sides. I now agree that fewer groups is better.

Mainly because there aren't enough (regularly) active users to populate them all.

Partially because even with a five-group limit, we're already all over the place. Already there are interesting writing discussions I can't participate in. Raising the limit threatens to increase that number.

I'm going to be thinking out loud about the groups, business, maybe starting today, maybe not.  I'm afraid I'll get a little Aristotelean in the beginning, laying out ground-floor thoughts on then nature of the problem.

K, I don't understand the problem.  If someone is so desperate to participate in multiple discussions, they can drop and rejoin free groups like a new pair of underwear.  They can leave a group, go to the interesting discussion, keep an eye on the old group and rejoin when it gets interesting.  As long as they aren't moderators (so they can't leave their group or that one will be deleted as they they leave), and they don't quit the TNBW Free/ TNBW Premium, the free forums are open to anyone and the number of available groups doesn't matter.

@amy: Ah, but that's in a perfect situation... it gets much more complicated in practice.

Let's say me, Norm dplume, and Leeanne Joseph are chatting about the Mrs Blue story (which we are). A quick scan of us will tell you that the Mrs Blue thread is in the fantasy group (excludes Norm and Leeanne), and my overlap group with Norm is the Sci-fi group. My overlap group with Leeanne is TNBW-premium.

Now say Norm wants to comment on Mrs Blue. He's unlikely to start searching miscellaneous groups for a threat that just happens to be discussing her. And if he did, I bet he wouldn't be looking for an alien invasion story under her main thread in "fantasy". He'd be more likely to post under an overlap group.

Let us assume that I can't invite all my reviewers into one Mrs-Blue-related group because they're all at their limits (five or ten, pending) or from different genres and not interested.

In all likelihood, before the year is up, there will be four or five separate, concurrent Mrs Blue threads, which is more than she needs, as much as I like the concept of that.

Adding the ability to form more groups increases the dispersion factor... it increases the chance that Mrs Blue threads will pop up in different groups.

A 5-group limit forms a rather Keynesian guiding hand, steering us away from group swarms. I believe this is the gist of Sol's approach

-K

36 (edited by njc 2014-11-23 19:28:23)

Which is why some threads belong to stories.  Ideally, reviews would flow right into the story's thread.  (Or one of the story's threads.)

There's a story, supposedly true, about an architect who designed part of a  campus without paving paths between buildings.  He waited until the students wore paths, then paved where they walked.