(7 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Hoping both of you get well soon.

Bill

(15 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Dirk B. wrote:

I tested either Grammarly or ProWritingAid and threw in a whole bunch of erroneous commas, and the software didn't flag most of them.

A couple of years ago, I bought a lifetime license for ProWritingAid (desktop) and you're right, it doesn't flag many misplaced commas. However, it will do well in noting places where they need to be and you've forgotten to put one. I also like all the checks you can run on your work. Some are fairly esoteric, but others I can't do without. I especially like the "overused words" category.

Bill

(12 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Both Word and Open Office have what they call a substitution table. I've entered -- and --- .  When I type two dashes, it gets changed to an en-dash, three dashes makes it an em-dash. No key combinations needed.

Bill

Huge congratulations to the winners!

Bill

My writing software (ProWritingAid) has an entry on the menu dropdown that, when clicked, will switch all straights to curlies and vice-versa. I seem to recall that English (UK) uses straights and English (US) uses curlies. This switch will occur even if you have a chapter full of mixed straights and curlies. Handy tool.

A lot of writing software will have a "translation table" or "substitution Table" also. This can let you enter a straight into the table and transform it to a curlie as you type. Or, of course, you could force it the other way.

(21 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Oh my word, Elspeth, that last paragraph is so funny!

Bill

(21 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I'll go with idea #2. Especially the tagless bit. Pretty challenging to be sure.

However, #1 offers some tantalizing challenges in itself. The problem is coming up with something really awful.

Bill

(24 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Looks as if they neatly dodged the issue by shrugging and saying "Hey, it ain't us."

Bill

(282 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Bisi Adjapon wrote:

Thank you! This format is totally new to me. In the old days, if someone posted a reply to you or something, you’d get a notification via email. I had no idea you had said hello until I poked my head in  smile

Welcome back, Bisi.

At the top of each page in the blue header at the right is a "subscribe" button. If you post, you are not automatically added to the email list. You have to click the subscribe button to get them.

This is for the Forum only. The old methods still work. If someone posts anything and you are connected to them, you will get an email. If you get a Quickie, same.

Bill

Despite their disclaimer in the DMCA statement stating they "would remove immediately any copyrighted material" this isn't going to happen. I sent them a rather terse email and received in return a basic, "blow it out your barracks bag" answer.

Bill

Yeah. I'm there as well. Strongly worded email to them to follow.

Bill

I still agree with Dirk. Heck, even adding a "Already Reviewed" bubble when you hover the mouse over a given story would help. All this involves is adding another "On Hover" tag and a quick database search.

Bill

Doggone good idea, Dirk. I have the same problem.

Bill

(16 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I like these a lot. Very Raymond Chandler-like. I never trust FB to give any worthwhile feedback. I'm thinking of deleting my author's page. It gets so few hits, and when it does, they are usually neutral or negative.

Bill

(19 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Congratulations, Willem. Tor is a big name publisher.

Bill

(14 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

You could always call it a "lidded trash receptacle" and up your word count to boot.

Bill

(14 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I seem to recall when the trash receptacle came into being it was called a "Dempsey Dumpster," but the name was reduced to a simple "Dumpster" or altered slightly to "Dempster."

Bill

(8 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

Hmm. Appears to be fine now, Sol.

EDIT: Didn't get the error/glitch.

Bill

I have to pass this little anecdote on: My wife just told me, "After fifty-seven years of marriage, I find out the way to your heart isn't through your stomach." Cracked me up!

Bill

Well, it's not just me. There are a few others. It's probably one of those weird little settings inside a browser that hardly ever get changed, but once they do something strange happens. It could even be a tiny part of my IP communications pack where the timing is a bit off and releases a page before it should.

EDIT: Hmm. This time, it worked just fine. maybe Sol has nailed it down.

Bill

SolN wrote:

I thought we had solved the problem, but apparently not. We'll take another look.

This little bug has lasted through three versions of Firefox and two of Chrome. I've restarted FF as a clean start and yet the error persists.

Bill

Thanks, everyone, for the sentiments. Much appreciated. A good four-hour nap rejuvenated me. I still feel a little out-of-sorts, but not like I did right afterward.

Bill

Sol, this is getting out of hand. I ended up posting THREE times and had to delete two of them. All of the posts apparently had the same error of "can't contact the server" which I've detailed in other threads. Any progress of finding out what causing this?

Bill

Back home this morning from a heart Cryoablation. Doc says it went well, easy even. Took two hours. Hardest part was getting up at 0400 to go to the hospital! Not supposed to sit for any length of time, so I'd better get back to horizontal.

Bill

(10 replies, posted in TheNextBigWriter Premium)

I use either Word when I'm on my Windows machine, or OpenOffice when on LINUX. In either case, you can save your work anywhere you desire by using "Save As" instead of a simple Save. This way, you have full control on WHERE you save it as well as adding any suffixes you like to leave an audit trail for the latest without resorting to a sort-by-modification-date.

My go-to program for formatting or editing or any heavy lifting is Pro Writing Aid and the free formatting application that Kindle Direct Publishing offers you to format for publishing.

Bill