Topic: Welcome

One of the best ways to start getting comfortable on the site is to introduce yourself. Don't be shy. Say hello below.

Re: Welcome

Hello -- I'm new to this website -- looks interesting! It's so hard to find time to meet with writers in a group to read and critique each other's work - this seems like a great way to do that on your own time and not worry about trying to sync with everyone's schedule! What are some of you working on? I have a YA Historical Novel, a YA contemporary and an adult novel -- all in various drafts. My historical YA is nearly complete.  I can't seem to stay with only one project. I sometimes just need to go away and work on something else for a while and go back to projects with a fresh mind. Things for me are always in multiples. Much like life, I can only focus on one thing for so long before I feel stale and then I have to go and stir things up elsewhere while my subconscious mind sorts out the mess and tells me what to do.

Hi srboe,
Welcome to the site. Let us know if you have any questions. It sounds like you have a lot of material.
Sol

Hi. I a new to this group and a new creative writer aiming at writing my first novel at the present time so any and all advice is greatly welcomed. I am trying to learn as much about writing as about the research topics I have on my first work. I am completely agoraphobic so I don't necessarily get the opportunity to join book clubs or go to groups to learn about writing. Everything is through books I read that I order off of the Internet or in groups like these. Thank you for having this.

Hello, I am new to this site, I have finished writing a YA novel in English which is currently revised at a Publishing house, so I am crossing my fingers.
I am an 18 year old girl from Norway, and I decided to write in English as I got told by the Norwegian agencies that I was to Young but it seems like I might get a real shot now, I have published a draft of my first Chapter for a new book that I am currently working on.

( sorry for any letters coming across as big, I know that many of them are supposed to be small but my computer makes them big for a reason Beyond me)

Hi Ingrid, welcome again! Let us know if you need help with anything.

Best,
Sol

Greetings, I am ready to start this journey of writing a memoir. I have written poetry and drama and this memoir will take all of me to get it done. I enjoy poetry most because it affords me the opportunity to free write any way I choose. I have a Blog and this is my one year anniversary. It has been fun but I am becoming more focused. I want this memoir to become the foundation for my Transformational Coaching Program. Happy Writing.

Hi Sasheta,

Welcome to the site! Good luck on your memoir. We have quite a few members who have written memoirs so you will not be alone.

Sol

Hi everyone!! I am not so "new" to the site, I was a member of THBW for awhile a few years back but have been gone due to the lack of time while going to college. I'm glad to be back and boy have things changed since I've been gone. The site looks amazing and I'm excited to learn about all the changes. I look forward to reading many great works and also reading everyone's reviews.

It's nice to meet you all!

Hi Missy V,

Welcome back! Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Sol

11 (edited by Skip 2015-05-12 22:02:19)

Hi, my name is Skip and I'm a writer ... sigh, okay, I play at being a writer. I'm in desperate need of the nearest "12-Step Program" that can help me get these stories that have been bouncing around my predominantly empty skull for the past few years out and into some semi-intelligible form.

When I actually stop to read the fore- and after- comments of the current authors I'm reading, I notice a number of acknowledgements given to members of his/her writing group. D'oh! I'm old and a bit slow, but the obvious does eventually worm through my density affected cranium ... although I might need to be beat about the head and shoulders occasionally to make it so.

It's been four years now since I began "My Book." My wife's cousin, Angela Horning Archer, says it took five years for her first to be completed ... so I'm still on schedule, LOL! But as I've only been averaging a chapter every four months or so, that particular deadline is looking pretty dismal. I certainly enjoy the storytelling, just not so much the process.

Long story short (if only I could make it so!) ... I need help! First and foremost, an unbiased eye to let me know as to whether I should keep fanning the embers, or just drop it and take up a more productive hobby, say like underwater basket-weaving or the like.

I don't aspire to the stature of a George R.R. Martin, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, et al (well, maybe just a bit ... in my wildest fantasies). I just want to leave something behind when I go. I'd sure smile if my granddaughter could someday look at a couple of tatty paperback books on the shelf and then say "My Papa wrote these!"

So ...

Please help me lengthen my stride?

Hi Skip,

Welcome to the site! We can certainly help you lengthen that stride. Feel free to contact me with any questions. You can also post questions here and someone will be sure to answer.

Depending on your writing level, you might also want to check out the Intro to Creative Writing Class.

http://www.thenextbigwriter.com/group-i … writing-66

Sol

Hi all, Although I've been a member of TNBW for a few years, I have made all the classic mistakes that newbie writers do. Which I will point out, but I do want to say that TNBW is a brilliant tool for any new or seasoned writer. My mistakes were:-

1.  No outline drawn up of the complete story.
This meant once I was so far in I started to get lost, and or had to go back and re-write the start due to changes further on. Wow, this can            eat up a lot of time and can cause one to become disheartened.

2. I started to post my chapters on the TNBW too early and in wrong area.
For a seasoned writer this is fine as they likely to be better organized. The issues for me were that people with no interest in my genre, (Sci-fi YA) were reviewing it. This led to some silly questions like "What's a time gate matrix?" That's like reading a Star Trek novel and asking "What's a Dilythium Chrystal?" Sometimes in Sci-Fi you just have to bring your imagination along. Often I would get critiques that was diametrically opposed. I started to drown in suggestions and self-doubt.  (There are some members, not many, who just want to do the bare minimum with reviewing just to get the points. You will know them when you see them, as you will likely read their review of your work and you will hear yourself say, "WTF was that?"

3.  For my first novel I only used MS Word to write, big mistake for me.
I now use a writing app called Scrivener. Bloody brilliant for organising chapters, characters and places as well as popping in notes or colour schemes to create a visual overview.

In the end I pushed my novel away and started a new one and have not put anything on TNBW, yet. As I find staying organised hard this is working for me, you may be different. I'm about to buy editing software, maybe Whitesmoke or Grammerly Premium to tidy it up. This is mainly for word over use and overly long sentences but not as the final answer. I just want to remove as much distractions as I can so once it's posted on here, the reviewer can concentrate on reviewing the story and it's structure rather than poor grammer etc. I must point out I had not written a thing since I was at college in 1989 and I have a form of dyslexia.

So when you start to review others work, chose carefully as they will feel obliged (rightly so) to review your work. I recall gulping with nerves at the thought of writing reviews of seasoned writers work. What the hell did I have to offer? Well quite a lot, firstly an opinion of the story line. An opinion is an opinion. I did have an eye for consistencies and incontinences. And if a sentence or paragraph trips you up, tell them.

I look forward to meeting you all, metaphorically, on here.

Dave R

Hi I'm new to this site and tried several times to post, but I am definitely doing something wrong.  I past the first chapter but later when I go back it is now there.  Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong--thanks--J. Smith

Hi J Smith, it looks like you haven't posted your content to any groups. Right now only people you are connected to can read what you have posted. To change this:

1. Go to your portfolio.
2. Click on the title.
3. Go to the publish settings page.
4. Choose a group to publish to. TheNextBigWriter Premium is the latest group.
5. Click the red update settings button. As long as you have enough points, it will publish the work. If you don't have enough points you can earn them by reviewing others whose work pays points.
6. That should do it.

In the video help section there is a video on posting content that you might find helpful.
Let me know if you have any further problems or need additional assistance.

Sol

6. You

Hello all,
I'm new. I was drawn to the site by a contest, but navigating through the site has led me to believe that this might be a good fit for me.  I have a number of projects underway, but mostly I write short stories.  It's 3:42am and again I HAVE to write.  It's like a compulsion or something.  I write some dark stuff, and sometimes the poison has to leave.  I slip into some deep dark indie off of Pandora and squeeze out some of the dark in my soul.  What brings the rest of you to write?

Hi, my name is A. im 17 I have been writing since I was eight and now I finally decided its time to start moving up!
I need all the advise I can get.

G'day all!

Clearly - I'm new to this group. I retired in December and now I am hoping to do what I have wanted to do since I could string two words together: write, hopefully for money! History is my passion: not only am I a History major and a History teacher, but I'm a genealogist with a family worth writing about. But I want to do it as historical fiction - give my ancestors an actual life rather than statistics on a page. And some of them, if I get to the more recent ones, have to be written as fiction to save the feelings of some of their living relatives!

I have just completed a short writing course from University of Tasmania, with most of the work in the form of 250 word pieces. Nealry killed me! So I will probably either have a play with them and extend them - or just post them the way they are ....... The final assessment was 1000 words, so that might go in as is.

Hi Folks,

I've been writing for a while now.  I have one manuscript at the publishers now and another looking for someone to publish it.  I also have another unpublished novel, I wrote ages ago, that needs updating.  And of course there all the stuff 'upstairs'. I write from dreams, past experiences, places I've been, etc.  It took some pain to understand the difference between show and tell - I hope I got it down but could always use some encouragement.  I've had folks ask why I don't write using experiences from my life that were fun and good.  But to me it seems like the reader would rather read about the bad and controversial stuff.  It's good to find a place where I can share my work.

Keep writing,

Roy

Welcome Kerry and Roy. Please let us know if you have any questions. The site looks forward to helping you with your writing projects.

21 (edited by Cazzychaps 2016-03-16 13:32:40)

Hi, I've just joined today after a recommendation from someone in my local writer's group. As my stories are based in the US but I'm Australian I really value having US members to critique my work and to also converse with. I also enjoy reading and reviewing so I think the premise of the site works really well. I'm currently working on some romances, but am also working on a travel blog / book based on RV travel in the US. I've also spent quite a few years writing fanfiction as well.  Look forward to meeting you all.   Cheers, Caz

Hi Caz,

Welcome to the site! Let us know if you have any questions.

Best,
Sol

Hi to who ever is out there.  I happened onto this site this morning - someone dropped it into my e-mail - so I decided to try it.  I admit that I am not computer literate - I am more trial and error - lots of errors!  I believe that I posted a short story, I believe that I joined a group for new members and I know I tried to read some of the other posts but that's where I got hung up.  How do I get to other peoples writings?  Thanks if you can help me. I'll keep checking back to see if any one answers.  Ah yes - I am Jackie Carr and I posted a short story called Miss Z.

Hi Jackie,

Welcome to the site! I can see that you started to post your story but didn't quite finish. There is no actual story there. I suggest you take a look at some of the videos we have on the site on how to post writing. I think they'll help you quite a bit. I also suggest you post your writing to TheNextBigWriter Admin group, especially at first, as this will get you the most views on your writing. If you watch the video, it will show you how to add Groups.

In terms of finding content to read, if you click the TheNextBigWriter logo on the top left of the page it will bring you to your homepage. There is a list of content to read there. Or, you can click the Read button at the top of the page and go to Groups Content. There is a lot of content to choose from there.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Sol

Hello all. Name's John Stussy. I'm predominantly a horror and free form poetry writer.