Topic: Reviewers

I like getting reviews. I mean, who doesn't? I've got thick skin and can take any measure a reviewer wants to dish. I may or may not decide to utilize the review, but that's my choice.

Then, along came ALex. This person posted two reviews on two of my stories. Great, right? Well, maybe, except they were as generic as tap water and, get this, identical!

Yep, the both read,
"...
hello

You have a great book and great potential to be the next best writer. I think if the right person reads your book, you may be on the way up that ladder. I too hope to be the next best writer. It's my dream. Check my stuff out too, thank you, ALex..."

If it had been left at that, I would have grinned and given an equally generic reply, then dismissed the author. However, this was too good an opportunity not to mess with. This is my reply, which I coped and pasted to both (again, identical) reviews...

"...Bwaahahahahah!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

When I first joined this writers group (many moons ago), another writer warned me of those reviewers who copied/pasted reviews. In my time here, I've suspected a few of them, but your identical reviews, posted on the same day, for my two stories Elephanthology Light and Elephanthology Dark is the most blatant example(s).

It made me laugh. And it begs the question, is this a case of TLDR?

Bwaahahahahah!
~JL Mo..."

After that, I tried to message this person, and their account is closed. So, all's well that ends well.

*End of Rant*

Re: Reviewers

I think I got a review from Alex. Though mine differed from yours- so its not all cut and paste.
Here's what she said to me:
I like your hard work. I too am a writer and write short stories and blogs and I have a blog page with all my work. I know it is hard to compete with so many people doing the exact same thing, but if its your passion it doesn't matter. Keep up your dreams.

Inspirational, though not so helpful.
CJ

I was just looking back at my reviews and I think she reviewed me twice, using different accounts.

Here was the second review from alayton:
very good structure and words. I am trying my hardest to publish my story which has been very hard in getting the points I need in order to publish it. I am new to this site and still trying to figure out how it works. I just know I want to enter the contest and need points.

The weird thing- they were reviewing the same chapter- two days apart. The picture of her is different- but it is the same person.
So now I wonder, what's her angle, anyway?

LOL--very good words, CJ!  Wouldn't have it any other way.  Don't we have instructions that say not to use the review to hype our own work?  Strange.

I'm pretty sure it does say that. Even though it shouldn't have to be in those review rules, since it should be common sense. But just like having to put warnings on things that should be obvious not to do with the product. Such as "Don't hit your fingers with the hammer when you're pounding nails into things." <---- I know hammers don't have a warning like that on them, at least not yet, but you never know someday they just might.

mikira (AKA KLSundstrom) wrote:

I'm pretty sure it does say that. Even though it shouldn't have to be in those review rules, since it should be common sense. But just like having to put warnings on things that should be obvious not to do with the product. Such as "Don't hit your fingers with the hammer when you're pounding nails into things." <---- I know hammers don't have a warning like that on them, at least not yet, but you never know someday they just might.

Don't be too sure. I do labeling for the swimming pool industry and years ago we had to add to our precautionary statements to, add the product to a bucket of water and stir with a wooden spoon to dilute because a consumer put the calcium hypochlorite in a blender to mix and blew up her house.
I think she sued.

(It's been over a month and I'm still trying to figure out why somebody would think it okay to put pool chemicals in a blender. Did she have a special blender just for the pool? She couldn't have used it for food afterward. Never mind.)
I have a question about dealing with unresponsive writers. I've reviewed several works, trying to be helpful but not pushy, and never heard back from the authors. I do sometimes come off pedantic, I know--it comes from grading papers for thirty years.
So what do I do? Make an effort to communicate? Go on reviewing their work? Forget all about them, even if I really like their work?
I can't help nitpicking--it's a family trait.
JP

- about the blender: Because the packaging said "mix well."

When you say unresponsive- do you mean they don't respond to your review. Or they don't reciprocate your review?
I've only had a few people who don't respond to a review. People get busy. Or maybe they're new and don't realize they should at least say thank you. I know I have slipped behind responding to reviewers- been away and not looking at the website as often as I'd like.

As for not reciprocating. I will always give a reciprocal review. If I review someone and they don't reciprocate, I'll review a few more times. But I have (as most of us do) limited time to review. I'd rather dedicate that time to those who give me help in return. I'm here to hone my writing skills after all and hope to publish in the near future.

And then there is the likelihood that someone meant to review my work and didn't like it enough to choke their way through it in order to leave even a "this sucks" review. That can happen I suppose. sad

CJ

Dagnee, they will realize one day that your review had been one of the more helpful ones. It will then be too late of course, but hopefully they will learn from the experience and avoid the whole nasty reply/revenge review thing with his or her new reviewers.

I also check from time to time to see if any of my reviews are unanswered. If it's someone I know well, or know would normally reply, I'd send them a message or a quickee to just let them know. Depending, I'll even ask if everything's okay. You never know.

As a side note, I have never put pool chemicals in a blender. But then again, maybe I'm just lucky that I don't have a pool. hehehe <--- evil laugh big_smile