Topic: Checking Your Replies

Have you replied to all of your very kind reviewers? Do you know how to be sure if you did or not?

On your profile page, under your image, is the title Feedback. The first category under this title is New Regular Reviews. Never mind that it shows -0- New, click the ‘View All’ anyway.

This will take you to the My Reviews page. All of your writing that has been reviewed is under the tab Regular Received. Under the “Reply” category is a simple Yes or No. That indicates whether you have responded to a review or not. If it shows “No”, then be a good doobie and click the action button, and at least say “Thanks.” Click submit.

Check the entire database. Reply to the reviewers. It’ll only take a minute, and it’s the polite thing to do.

BTW~the same holds true for each of the other tabs at the top as well. They list the chapters you've reviewed, along with a Yes or No if the author has responded or not.

Re: Checking Your Replies

Thanks, JL --that's a good way to keep us on the straight and narrow. I don't experiment much--it surprises me that there are so many magic buttons that can transport us to new places. Beam me up! JP

I first worked with computers while in DOS mode. Are you old enough to know that reference? Back then, you pretty much guessed (and failed) too many times to be hesitant. I just dive right in. Failure is an option, as it turns out. big_smile

I am too easily sidetracked. I have lost whole days--and nights; don't tell my kids, they think I'm getting my sleep--following magic buttons down their mystical trails. I've had a computer in the house since the eighties but never had to lift a finger (lots of computer geeks in my family). Anyway, if I get started exploring, I forget to do any writing. I can't afford to waste time these days.  JP

j p lundstrom wrote:

"...I can't afford to waste time these days..."

Off topic, I know, but your statement brought a song called One Day to mind. Thanks for the break. smile

The same thing happened to me yesterday, when I was trying to remember the song with the phrase "You fill up my senses." It occurred to me that not only was my character doing it to her boyfriend, it's what we do when we write. I looked it up, and lo and behold! it was John Denver's "Annie's Song." Never been much of a fan, but he hit the nail on the head, especially when I read the lyrics and found that it's practically all similes, the form my character uses a lot in her descriptions. Have a good one.

JL Mo wrote:

Have you replied to all of your very kind reviewers? ....

..... Reply to the reviewers. It’ll only take a minute, and it’s the polite thing to do.

Don't' knock the non-reply!

I think that NOT replying to a review (or the choice to reply or not)  is an essential action/function that has served the tNBW community well, from the earliest days of the old site through to the here and now upon the new site.

Traditionally it has been an 'unspoken rule' used by the authors to signify in a subtle and non-confrontational manner that they do not wish to garner reviews or comments from that particular reviewer again. Whereas an obligatory reply, even a simple thanks might encourage further critique  from a reviewer you'd rather not hear from.

Where I can see that some of those I have reviewed have not acknowledged or replied to my review -- whereas they have replied to other reviews subsequent to mine -- I know they have no wish to solicit any further reviews or interaction from me, and that is fine. Writer/reviewer relationship issues resolved without a word exchanged and in a subtle manner with no fuss or confrontation; both parties can simply move on.

Not replying to reviews is a clean and simple (brilliant) solution to a possible stressful and embarrassing situation.

Dill Carver wrote:

Traditionally it has been an 'unspoken rule' used by the authors to signify in a subtle and non-confrontational manner that they do not wish to garner reviews or comments from that particular reviewer again.
Writer/reviewer relationship issues resolved without a word exchanged and in a subtle manner with no fuss or confrontation; both parties can simply move on.
Not replying to reviews is a clean and simple (brilliant) solution to a possible stressful and embarrassing situation.

Wish I'd known about that. Live and learn. Now I can rest. Thanks, Dill.  JP

Hi Dill,

If someone has taken their time and effort to review one of my stories, I give them the respect to reply to it. If I do not appreciate their input, I tell them so. There have been some nasty people come and go, but I am confrontational, and deal with that head on. It has been explained to me that I'm the odd-man-out on that.

If I review someone, and they don't respond, I don't take it personally, either. If I like the story, and have the time, I continue reading/reviewing. Their opinion of my review is irrelevant to the point system.

Each author has their own method for their work. but I was completely unaware of this one. I will keep yours in mind, of course, should I find myself reviewing any of your stories, and you do not respond. Thanks for sharing an alternate method of dealing with folks you'd rather not hear from.
~JL Mo

Dill Carver wrote:

"...I think that NOT replying to a review (or the choice to reply or not)  is an essential action/function that has served the tNBW community well, from the earliest days of the old site through to the here and now upon the new site..."

As an aside, the old site encouraged replies to reviews by not allowing new posts from an author, until all of the reviews were, at the very least, acknowledged.