1 (edited by phil lanuto 2014-12-27 00:52:30)

Topic: Hello

Hello, I just joined  this Group. Happy to be here.

I've been reading horror for the last 25 years, starting with Firestarter from Stephen King (although some would claim it's not true horror). I have to say that I think The Exorcist is still the creepiest book I have ever read and I still get shivers thinking about it.

I look forward to meeting others.

Phil

Re: Hello

Hey, Phil. Looking forward to meeting people, are you? Well, then...

Meet me. John Hamler. Now you're fucked.

Just kidding. Okay, so The Exorcist is a bonfire. Seriously. Scariest book. Scariest movie. Ever. Period. The way it rides the fence between science and religion, treating them both equally and thus cutting your spectator's brain into two equally horrified halves... Brilliant.

The author *H.P. Lovecraft* is an acquired taste, but I recommend him. The way he writes, it's a slow burn. His prose is insufferably intellectual, but... The payoff is that much greater for the struggle. His twisted imagination sticks with you longer than say; a Stephen King novel. And I ain't bad-mouthing Stephen King or Dean Koontz or anybody. That shit is very entertaining. Even epic in scope. I just think you'll appreciate the roots of those writers, even more than you appreciate the writers themselves.

But what do I know?

Cheers

John

3 (edited by sisterwolf 2015-01-08 01:51:55)

Hello I'm new to the group. I have belong to NBW for about a year but my computer went down and haven't been able to get on in a few months.
I hardly recognize the site. What happened to all the contest and prompts and fun things they used to have on here. They wouldn't even let me log in without paying for a premium membership.  Anyway, I am glad I found a group to join. I usually write scary short stories.
And I definitely agree John. The Exorcist is still to this day scariest movie ever.

4 (edited by mikejackson1127 2015-01-21 04:58:23)

Evening, e'one. I just joined this group, and hell yes! The 'cist is TOPS! Bizarre, scary, mind-staining, SHEESH! The early part of the book(read it when I was 14 or so)had me turning on all the lights in my room!

Off topic, anyone seen Black Noon? Okay, it's a minnow to the Exorcist's shark, but it's worth it--especially because good ol' Henry Silva plays an active part:-) That guy is, imo, Mr. Sinister!

Also off topic, I think Robert McCammon's Swan Song(very comparable to King's Stand)is better than The Stand. To me, it's written tighter, has more of a terror buffet, never lags, and leaves a much deeper etching in the mind.

Cheers and fears!

Mike

Hi Mike,
Nice to meet you.!

Also off topic, I think Robert McCammon's Swan Song(very comparable to King's Stand)is better than The Stand. To me, it's written tighter, has more of a terror buffet, never lags, and leaves a much deeper etching in the mind.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out. I'm always looking for a good book recommendation. Have you posted anything? I'll have to check it out.

Evening, Phil. Nice to meet you too, my friend! I have one posting: Him. It's a short story about two couples that go on a camping trip, but can't stop obsessing about a dead mass murderer. I'm going to try to post another a short horror tale tonight.

Peace,

Mike

Phil, I now have three short stories posted, two of them are flash fiction. Each is a horror tale.
Lovely day for a hike is the best of the three, imo.
Peace,
Mike

Will check them out. Thanks for the review htw.

Sorry for the late reply, Phil. I'm gonna try to rev another installment of Monarch in a bit.

Hi all!

I'm new to the group and even to the genre. My thing is young adult, but I've just started writing this story about this "brotherhood" working on destroying the six dark angels who revealed against God at the beginning of time--the devil himself is their commander in chief. There's this  high school girl whom the brotherhood assumes is a reincarnation of the seventh, elusive, and amazingly powerful dark angel (the only dark angel who is female BTW), so they start to plot, and act, against her. But  they're not the the  only ones, there's also a bunch of demons after her,should it be confirmed she is indeed the said reincarnation.

It's not gonna be as creepy as The Exorcist, like Phil said, not even close. Anyway, I want to create a sorta permanent, creepy atmosphere all through the story. Like the reader keeps feeling somebody is looking over her shoulder. Also, the MC should be both as "innocent" as a16 yo is expected to be, but also as malicious and calculating as a demon's reincarnation should behave.

Hope I end up writing something worth of this genre.

Kiss,

Gacela.

Evening, Gacela. Welcome to the jungle! Kidding. Sounds like you've got a good understanding of what makes horror work. Good stories of terror need not be as disturbing as The Exoricist(Thankfully!). Anyway, I'll check out your work.

Peace,

Mike

12 (edited by rusty nugent 2015-05-02 17:52:23)

Hello. How are y'all doing? I am dropping a few lines down to tell you about myself. I am an 43 year old southern gentleman that writes new adult, horror, urban, dark fantasy published author. I am interested in the occult, paranormal, supernatural, werewolves, vampires, aliens, cryptozoology, heavy metal music, reading, writing, movies and video games. I have two published dark fantasy books. I am writing on my third book in the Moonwarriors series. To read my story you'll have to go to wattpad for 5 chapters posted already. http://www.wattpad.com/user/RustyNugent If you have time and want to take a chance please read my story, Moonwarriors: In A Blackened Dawn and leave me a comment by dropping a few lines down. Will you review my story, please? It's about heroic werewolves (both sexes) waging war against the forces of darkness. Intense, it is! Who do I have to thank for this group? It's fantastic! I wish it didn't cost me money but it's easy to follow along on how to post, edit, and add images. If you are interested in buying my second book which is published since 2009.  You can get it here: http://www.amazon.com/Rusty-Nugent/e/B00J69KMA4 Please leave me a comment telling me what you like about my writing style and plot line. Would you like to read more when it's published by the end of 2015? Take It Easy. Thank you for any feedback. (^_^)

Hello Bunny,

smile  I love a good thriller.
Like some horror.

WRite whatever.

WELCOME!

T

hello, new to the group.  I haven't seen any mention of Clive Barker yet,  what's your opinion of him?  he's one of my favs.  I invite you all to check out my stuff.  so I'm sitting here typing to you guys, and i see a tiny spider run across my computer.  I don't squish him cause i have this whole live and let live philosophy in life.  Then the little guy is hanging from my desk lamp, and one is on my shirt.  I stand up to brush him off me and the are all over me.  I think some spider  laid eggs under my desk or chair or whatever.  Thank God I have raid.  it's all well and good till they are all over you.  So I'm sitting here writing in a horror thread beig assaulted by tiny spiders.......top that true believers

15 (edited by mikejackson1127 2015-07-15 11:14:34)

I haven't read Clive in a long time. I like him, but I pref. Robert McCammon, Ramsey Campbell, Peter Straub, John Farris, and Graham Masterton. Have you ever done McCammon's Swan Song? It's highly comparable to King's The Stand, only I'd say Mac's version is much tighter with more out-of-the-box thinking. Of course, imo, the single most disturbing horror piece in print or on film is The Exorcist. Just so freakin' bizarre! And supposedly, it's based on a true story.

Spiders and snakes make for great horror, imo.

I don't come here very often, but I fig. you might've posted s'thing, so I dropped by. If you have things you want to share, feel free to message me.

Mike

Oh, and you might want to join The Cop Shop. It's a cool place to hang out!!

Hello--I just joined the group. I like a challenge; I want to learn to write scary stuff. The scariest book I ever read was "The Other," by Thomas Tryon. The tv movie didn't do it justice. I did get a scare from "The Exorcist," though. I was a young mother, my children were safely tucked away in their beds, and I picked up the book to steal some leisure reading time. Just about the time the girl in the story started her bit, my daughter started screaming her head off (well, it didn't really fall off).
So I switched to crime.

Hi guys,
I wonder if some of you horror lovers would be interested in reviewing the first 2 chapters of my new horror novel 'He, of the house'- I'd trade reviews if you have something in need of reviewing in your portfolios. I'd like to think of this novel as a literary horror. The 1st Draft is finished, now I'm slowly editing it chapter by chapter, and will add more as I go.
M.V.

Hey there, many name is John Stussy. Thoroughly enjoy reading and writing horror.

John Stussy wrote:

Hey there, many name is John Stussy. Thoroughly enjoy reading and writing horror.

Hi John, jump into the forum head first, or feet first... lol. let's get this forum digging into the depths!