Topic: Project R

Laura's story has been temporarily abandoned. Will return to it in 5-6 years.

Switching to an antagonist story soon

Re: Project R

Is this related to your story called Project L?

Kiss

Gacela

Same universe. I'm going to start posting in about 2 weeks which will be after I  finish posting for Tia

So, you're dumping project L and will write instead Project R, correct?

Kiss,

Gacela

Correct. I wrote project L up to chapter 26 (posted upto 11). At that point I started exploring the antagonist and realized I had a better story there. Will return to the original later tho.

By the way, the link in your Goodreads profile to Chronicles of Kwan I is not working. It takes one to an error message that the book is not available and I wanted to purchase it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15750290-kwan

Kiss
Gacela

Interesting... that link is to the paper edition which is not available on Amazon (and is actually out of print. I only ever made about 20 copies).
When I clicked "all editions" and selected kindle, the link worked from there. Not sure how to fix

Goodness... the story's almost 10 yrs old. Where does the time go??

Edit: Were you seeking print? I have some physical copies sitting around I can send

I was seeking ebook, but it's okay to read from a hard copy. However, I'd be abusing your kindness if I ask you to send me a copy. I was finally able to find the correct link and purchased it.

Kiss,
Gacela.

Wowza thanks... but I can send links. I'm not in the game for the revenue, so I don't mind to give them out

Well, if you wanna send me a signed copy, then I'll really appreciate that.

Kiss,
Gacela

@Mlle Gacelle: "Fan service" is a (frowned upon) activity where the author adjusts the story to please the fans rather than be faithful to the original artistic vision.

We see Lucas do so in toning down Jar Jar. In anime it's usually related to sexualization of female characters. Sonic the Hedgehog movie fan serviced the character design.

Personally, I don't mind it (If Lucas was fully on board, Darth Maul would have found a way to survive). I do it all the time within the limits of the greater plot. For example, my world originally had no trains, but readers found that unrealistic, so I added them (Personally, I don't see how such a place of tyrants and greedy powered people would be able to support rail between their regions, but whatever)

Merci, M. Kenny. C'est très illustratif.

Le train est un moyen de transport de masse très utile dans un point de vue économique. You can load it with tons of everything: food, fuel, weapons, soldiers, civilians, etc. Since railroads were laid, they have always played important roles, both in peace and in war. E.g., in the Mexican revolution (actually a civil war, but it started as a revolution against the acting dictator), railroads were so valuable for both sides, none of them dare blow them, keeping both lines and cars in good repair, even at the cost of delivering a tool in the enemy's hands if territory was lost. In WWII, the railroads were the German's mobility spine. Your tyrants would find them quite useful and would be eager to maintain them working, in their best interest.

Kiss,
Gacela

Indeed for us, the rail is indispensable, and society would not exist without it as it does today.

I think my world is close to Mad Max's independent states where we find there's this undefended rail down the desert into the middle of nowhere that's being maintained in perfect condition for no apparent reason.

https://deanoinamerica.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/mad-max-3-vehicles-2.jpg?w=1000

I mean the ballast there is extremely well maintained. Xrell's enemies would surely let the outbound rail deteriorate since they don't have to go anywhere (Consider the city run by Tina Turner's character... It seems she doesn't need to move rail guns to new war zones. She's not waging conquest, and her economy is closed - why bother moving lots of goods?).

Indeed, by destroying the rail, Xrell's enemies may choke his economy while not changing their own.

But your states are not Mad-Max like. They're constantly at war because, unlike Aunt Entity, they do want to expand, not only to shut down for protection purposes. And that's what turns railroads into valuable assets.

Besides, in Mad Max III, technology is dead and the people are living of what still works of it. In your world, you even have a space academy.  While a steam-punk like, yours is a society moving forward, not stalled.

Kiss,
Gacela

Thanks for delete. I've learned these past few months to obfuscate the names (eg J3nna) to keep the google monster away. "Project L" and "Project  R" are named this way so I don't have to be so careful, though I don't expect any trouble because their haracter names are kind of common.

In one hilarious circumstance, tnbw used to come up first in a google search, ahead even of amazon. It took me 3 months to get google to "forget" this. I bet I can still drag up the links if I try but I don't want to remind it.

17 (edited by Rachel Parsons 2021-03-22 04:25:21)

Kdot, not on Project R, which I'm finally reading, but in response to you thinking that Dareau would still be called Rann by the colonialists.  Well...here's a list of countries that changed their names and had the name change recognized by the imperialists:
British Honduras, Belize
Rhodesia, Zimbabwe
Abyssinia, Ethiopia
Basutoland, Botswana
South West Africa, Namibia
Burma, Myanmar
And as far as China keeping the same name, there is Peking, Beijing.

So, yes, I think that rather than keep a name from a medieval graphic novel, the Terrans would start calling the world by the indigenous name.

Not to discount your examples, but in all of them, there was already contact / cultural exchange.

In your story you had the name change before the two sides even met. (Actually, I presently draw a blank as to how the local's name is even known by the invader-litter-bugs given that they don't yet know what language the locals speak)