Topic: How is Everyone?

This group has been quiet lately, hopefully because everyone is so busy writing/publishing their stuff!! So I just wanted to check in and see how everyone's doing, what are they working on, what do they need reviews on, etc...? So, how is everyone? :-)

(Sheriff Norm, I haven't heard anything from you, especially, in months. Hope you're doing okay!)

Re: How is Everyone?

Busy on things not writing related, unfortunately. I bit off more than I can chew doing freelance graphic design. Though I am trying to work the writing and reviewing in as well. Just a slow slog lately.

3 (edited by Rachel Parsons 2019-05-18 16:43:57)

Thanks for asking, Suin.
I've been staggeringly busy lately between taking my spouse to the doctor, going to the doctor myself, working on flooring, doing yard work (preparing for the summer fires), and tutoring (which despite my poor application of marketing has been really good lately.) I am also letting my beta of "Exile in Elsewhen" percolate for a while. I could use reviews of it. I will get back to reviewing soon. The weather has gone from summer to spring (shouldn't it be the other way around this part of the year?) I planted a lilac bush for Rosalyn. It's been raining, so I use my scythe for mowing. I bought a GP100, which I always wanted and finally got, but the weather hasn't allowed me to practice with it. (I suppose I could break down and re-join the range, but when I'm downtown, I'm too busy for practice.) Oh, and I'm watching stuff on Acorn and Britbox.  That's about it.

CJ, better to bite off more than you can chew than to have nothing to bite off on.

That's great you're able to make a bit on the side with your skills, CJ! You still seem to be posting new chapters quite frequently too!

Rhiannon, I'll take a look at Exile in Elsewhen as soon as I can...Like you, I'm enjoying the Spring weather here and finding lots of outdoor activities instead of sitting inside with my computer.

I'm glad you girls give signs you're still alive. I'm missing you, people!

Do you enjoy watching Acorn and Britbox, Rachel? I love those channels. I've just watched Tommy and Tuppence's adventures on Acorn recently. If you like Agatha Christie you'll love the series!

Work is driving me crazy. At the beginning of May, I travelled to Brazil and stayed for a week and a half in Sao Paulo and in a small, dead place called Sao Jose dos Campos. Any of you girls could write a zombie story taking place in that town, so dead Sao Jose is. Then I came back home for a weekend and left for Switzerland. I spent another week and a half in Zug, that is a small town too, but you can't compare. Zug is an awesome place with a lake and mountains, forty minutes away from Zurich and Lucerne, that are totally awesome cities. Alas, when you travel for work, you have little time to enjoy all the niceties. It's the drawback of being a slave, even if your masters pay for your travelling (which doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Switzerland).

As some of you know, I have relations in Paris, so I stayed over the weekend and just came back yesterday. Tired? I could sleep for a full month!

CJ, it's cool you're busy freelancing. I've known of people who earn tonnes of money doing freelancing. Hope you've already earned enough for your first Ferrari.

Sheriff, Kenny, resto of the members of this group, where are you people? Come and join the discussion. What are you doing nowadays?

Kiss,

Gacela

PS, @Rachel, what's a GP100?

6 (edited by Rachel Parsons 2019-05-23 15:51:48)

Gacela:  I think on the "busy" index, you are near the top. It's great that you get to travel for work. I used to travel four or five times a year, paid for by my employer. I always found some time for the sights, even if that meant yet another mall. I visited relatives in Texas one time, so I know how that feels as well.

But as they say in the Writer's Lounge, always find time for your writing. (Carry a notebook, if you have to.)

A zombie story set in Sao Jose?  I'll think about it. If Elizabeth George and Deborah Crombie can write convincing Brit novels from their cozy houses in the US, I can write about Brazil from mine.

A GP 100 is a medium-size, six-shot .357 Magnum revolver made by Ruger. It always comes up as one of the top guns in any discussion. It is known for its reliability (like it fails as often as a Sasquatch sighting is verified), accuracy (wings off gnats at 50 meters), and for being useful as a club should you run out of ammo (it's built like the proverbial tank). It is bigger than their five-shot SP101 which is more useful for concealed carry (with an ankle or garter holster or IWB its invisible and almost comfortable) and their six-shot Ruger Redhawk, always listed as No. 1 for defense against bears (you move to long guns if you need more, or you hide in a hole and toss out honey jars while shouting how you are best friends with Yogi and Smokey). I had the latter two and now I have the GP100!  I've shot about a hundred rounds so far. I get a good grouping at 11 meters and am very happy.

A gun!!!! Oh, my, I never!

Kiss,

Gacela

Of course a gun. Why should Barbara and Dakota have all the fun? (One of these days I'll get a sword to join in with Rhiannon's fun, but a good one's expensive and it's hard to hunt with a sword and I know of no one who's actually gotten into a sword fight.)

I'm near the end of the marketing phase for [K i m]. This phase always seems to feel like starting a fire. You rub sticks together, kinda fan the sparks, before long, there's a tiny flame going and you have to feed it baby fuel until the blaze is satisfying. Sometimes when the fire doesn't burn hot you ask yourself if you used woo much wind or too much fuel, or maybe you're supposed to do it on one foot. Who knows. Anyway, she's at the "sparks" stage so time for the fuel (GoodReads Giveaway) and see if it catches.

While I wait for that pot to boil, I'm back to whacking away at development projects. I also find marketing interesting but exhausting. Zzzz.