Topic: The Way I See It

Some people may notice that previous comments written here were removed.  I had nothing to do with that.  But I do want to take the time to say how I see this group:  it's a place for people to publish essays and other opinion pieces.  Not in the forum but in the publishing part of the group, like, where we used to on the old site publish a written piece and receive and give reviews.  On the old site, if one published an opinion piece or editorial, you had to label it as a short story as there was no other option.  I see having this group as a solution to that misnomer.

Personally, I was never that much into chatting in the forums.  I'm interested in writing and reviewing.  And I see the forum as a way of adding to what's already been said in a review if someone is compelled to do that.  I think the difference gets a little blurry when the group is called Editorials and Commentaries, but the intent is for the focus to be on the published writing.

Re: The Way I See It

Thanks for the clarification, MsWriter. I'm currently working on an editorial piece regarding a subject near to my heart and hope that I can get it into shape for posting in the near future.

I look forward to that!

4 (edited by charles_bell 2014-12-06 10:13:11)

mswriter wrote:

Some people may notice that previous comments written here were removed.  I had nothing to do with that.  But I do want to take the time to say how I see this group:  it's a place for people to publish essays and other opinion pieces.  Not in the forum but in the publishing part of the group, like, where we used to on the old site publish a written piece and receive and give reviews.

The downside to that process of review, however, is in the inability of the reviewer to clarify a misapprehension of the writer on a point made in the review. There is no reply to a reply.  I can see that the review process ought not to be a debating forum, but, for example, if you genuinely misunderstood that I never equated an innocuous OMG with a more serious "Go f*** yourself" in my review of your latest submission to this group, I think you completely missed the point I made about the entire process of euphemism which I believe should not be socially denigrated as something "not modern," or whatever it was that was your complaint, nor those remaining behind in the unsophisticated fly-over country still inclined to use euphemism, for whatever purpose,  I went on to point out, ought to be be insulted or put down as silly but rather encouraged in many circumstances as all in which the F-word is used. The thing about such a reply to a reply is that it is not exactly a "review" but it is a calling to attention to a writer that which he or she may not have realized as evidenced by the very misapprehension for which the reply to a reply was intended to clarify.

mswriter wrote:

Some people may notice that previous comments written here were removed.

Who did, and why?

Hi Charles, In response to your first comment here about responding to reviews and responses of reviews, it was always my understanding that those extended discussions were one thing for which the forum is useful.  Sorry if I misunderstood  the specific point you mention above.  And, no, my essay wasn't about Oh My Gosh not being modern.  That was never said.  What was said was that I feel it to be wishy washy, ineffective, and unnecessary.  Finally, I am not going to get into discussing other members of tnbw so I won't answer "who did and why." 

I just went to re-read the review of my essay and see that on every review and response is the word "Comment" at the top which leads me to believe they can all be responded to.

mswriter wrote:

Finally, I am not going to get into discussing other members of tnbw so I won't answer "who did and why." 
"were deleted" by the original poster(s), okay, then all that follow in response get deleted, too?

. . .were deleted" by the original poster(s), okay, then all that follow in response to those original posts get deleted, too, I guess.

mswriter wrote:

I just went to re-read the review of my essay and see that on every review and response is the word "Comment" at the top which leads me to believe they can all be responded to.

No.  One comment, one author reply.  There can be another comment, author reply in a different thread.

9 (edited by charles_bell 2014-12-07 10:18:11)

mswriter wrote:

And, no, my essay wasn't about Oh My Gosh not being modern.  That was never said.  What was said was that I feel it to be wishy washy, ineffective, and unnecessary.

When you incorrectly conflated my comments into "OMG" = "Go f***" yourself" you obliterated my obliquely expressed opinion that there is a right and proper use of substitute words for obscenities in circumstances such as, for example, a father who says "Gosh, son, you are being bad right now, go to your room" versus "Go f*** yourself, get out of my sight"  using hyperbole here for both examples. Furthermore, the counterpoint to your suggestion that "taking the Lord's name in vain," for which Gosh, Cripes, Jesus H. Christ, Gee, Golly are used as substitutes, is preferable is not so much that you are wrong, but that you insult those, or their particular religious expression, who think otherwise. It is an interesting fact of history that during the English Commonwealth era, the Puritans thought to ban all substitutes, in public and private, as well, and I think on both sides those complaining about the words we use either as wishy-washy or offensive are busybodies -- unless the words themselves are not words like OMG about which you did not express any demur.

Hey Charles, I was just stating my opinion.  Part of which was many people who are not really religious are using the euphemism... just because they hear others use it.   I really doubt that anyone was insulted by it.  And if they were, well, that's what opinions sometimes do.  But as far as opinions (and insults) go, I don't think what I said was particularly heinous.  And thanks for your input and feedback.

mswriter wrote:

Hey Charles, I was just stating my opinion.  Part of which was many people who are not really religious are using the euphemism... just because they hear others use it.   I really doubt that anyone was insulted by it.  And if they were, well, that's what opinions sometimes do.  But as far as opinions (and insults) go, I don't think what I said was particularly heinous.  And thanks for your input and feedback.

It is one of my pet peeves on opinion writing but not always over-the-air which may be extemporaneous.  The experts, even when taking one side, have the ability to see when they might be offending those on the other side in certain choices of words and avoid doing so.  And, yes, your expressed view on the matter is either insulting or living-in-a-bubble ignorant. As to "heinous," the trumped-up charge against Don Imus ("Nappy-headed 'ho's") and Rush Limbaugh ( implication on Sandra Fluke), that cost them considerable financial loss, were no more insulting than any opinion that singles out customs and habits of any group for ridicule: such as ridiculing those modest folk who insist on the avoidance of obscene  or sacrilegious language.  On the other hand, the Danish cartoon depictions of the Prophet was *intended* to offend, and that (the offending) does have a political purpose far more so than if some cartoonist were to plead ignorance and claim that he doubted anyone could be offended by such cartoons -- nullifying any purpose and rightfully casting him as ignorant.

OK, you win!! smile

charles_bell wrote:
mswriter wrote:

It is one of my pet peeves on opinion writing but not always over-the-air which may be extemporaneous.

Is that a sentence? What does it mean?

jack the knife wrote:
charles_bell wrote:
mswriter wrote:

It is one of my pet peeves on opinion writing but not always over-the-air which may be extemporaneous.

Is that a sentence? What does it mean?

I was unaware that spelling and grammar criticisms are appropriate in chat forums. 

What do you think it means if I did not add two words for better construction? If you genuinely have no idea, then my adding those two words won't help you.

OMG, I just realized how much I've missed tnbw (joined in 2006), especially the forum threads  where people get pissed off at one another.  (is "pissed off" offensive?  I wouldn't know, I'm a West Coaster roll