Topic: Publishing Tips & Q's

all things publishing

Re: Publishing Tips & Q's

I think what we are missing is the ability to open different "threads" within the separate categories. Say someone wanted to start a thread within this "Publishing Tips & Q's" area on queries and then someone wanted to ask about agents or publishers, synopsis, bookcovers, etc., and keep all the responses related to each different "thread" in one location.  It doesn't work here.

The old site provided various categories such as writing feedback, strongest start, member announcements, etc. within which many disparate threads sprang up and all responses to that thread were kept together. I don't see a way to do that on this site at present; what we have here is basically a lot of threads taking the role of categories with no way of having additional threads within those roleplaying threads. I think some tweaking is going to be needed unless I'm missing something. Take care. Vern

Yeah, this is a different format forums he chose. It's awful actually. But I figured at least the categories will stick so we can find things maybe? Dunno.

I haven't finished my first book yet, but I would still like to know : 1) step-by-step process of self publishing,  2) step-by-step process of other publishing 3) other concerns, since I am completely clueless.  I remember these topics were discussed on the old forums, but I hadn't read all of it.  One thing that made it hard to follow was all the personal conversation that people posted on each thread, instead of sticking to the topic.  Which is why I like the private messaging feature we have now.  Hopefully, discussions will stay relevant.  Should we start a thread for each facet of writing and publishing?  If it's too much to post, I would accept referrals to other resources--sites or books.  Is there anything else I need to ask?

I agree that the threads in the old forums tended to wander off into personal tangents. My advice to you, JP, is to ask those who have published their books - both self- and traditional, rather than get opinions - freely given - from those who have not gone through the process and don't know, really, whereof they speak. Hey, it's a free country, right? Everyone entitled to their own opinions? But not their own facts.  You'd have to do some research to find the ones to ask, but it shouldn't be much of a strain.

A step by step account to self publishing could be rather long to detail. The hardest part (for me) ...well 2 things...was first getting through the formatting correctly the first time. These days there are a ton more resources out on the internet with plenty of step by step to be had as far as that goes. The second thing is platform. I didn't have much of one at the time, and as much as I believed in myself and my product, I didn't realize what a HUGE time-sink marketing and self promotion would be. I went in all cocky about marketing because I'd been doing it professionally for musical acts for years. Unfortunately for me, there was a BIG difference. I will be doing it again soon, but with a whole different expertise, pen name, and approach smile

I haven't been traditionally published with a novel yet. I do have an agent and have had 2 offers, both of which I turned down (both were smaller vanity press offers and not very attractive). I'm still hopeful. You should hop on some of the blogs out there--a ton of authors blog their own step by step journeys. And there are a few agents out there who blog as well--two good ones are Janet Reid and Kristin Nelson.

As far as resources--there are millions. Just type Self Publishing in a browser and you'll be there for weeks collecting links and useful bits of info. When I did it most of the great services available now weren't around. Two good places to start would be Createspace & Bookbaby. Pay attention to package offerings and distribution channels. Some places like Bookbaby will often bundle valuable packages together for a reasonable price.  Bookbaby also has a proven track record for successful distribution. I've been using them on the music side (CDBaby) for years and love them.

I'd provide more links but I've recently changed computers and can't figure out how to get my old explorer bookmarks to successfully input into my firefox browser with this stupid windows 8. Grr! 
Hope that helps.

J P, I love CreateSpace. They have help 24/7. When you get closer to being ready to publish it, let me know. My one piece of advice before you publish is to  get a professional editor to read it.

Thanks to all of you.  Now I have a place to start.  You are the best.
Now I have a new question, and this may require some looking into the future.  I noticed a thing (tag? link?) to the Strongest Start Competition. and when I tried to follow it, I wound up looking at the rules for pet poetry. I assume this means the forum isn't open yet--right?  I just wanted to ask if I could enter the first chapters of books I've already posted, or do I have to come up with yet another research project?  These things aren't easy, you know!  LOL  Also, will there be a group for the competition?  Will there be a special forum?  Does anybody read the future?  Que sera, sera?  JP

Pretty sure the next SS will be after the first of the year. I have entered chapters from previously posted work. Of course, they were edited and I hoped better than the originals.

Who knows how he'll handle it on the new site, but he did post that the contest will begin next month. I'm assuming he'll make an announcement and open a group for it. I'm going to make a new project in the portfolio with only the 3 chapters and put (SS) in brackets after the title. That way I'll be able to tell the difference and only be paying to post only those 3 chapters as opposed to the 40 of the full novel.

Im wondering if anyone has had experience with Smashwords.  They seem to have the widest distribution.  JP

Actually, by far, bookbaby leads the pack in distro channels around the globe. TNBW is also partnering with them I do believe.  As far as Smashwords, I've heard good things from a few folks but have no first hand experience. I did go check out their distro when I saw your post though smile