1 (edited by cobber 2017-10-20 17:53:16)

Topic: Marketing State of Vengeance - Progress Report

So, I promised to provide everyone with an update on my marketing efforts for State of Vengeance. If you have any comments, thoughts, etc. please free to append these or ask them.

I launched State of Vengeance on September 27, 2017. I could have waited longer and perfected a few more things but my wife told me to finally let it go. Lesson 1: don't procrastinate; let the book go when it's good enough. I've since found a few typos which I'll correct.

My strategy is the following:

My initial goal is to get 100 sales and 5-6 reviews. This is phase I. To do this, I have done the following:

- Price the book at $3.99. This is cheap enough that is should encourage browsing, but also provides Amazon enough revenue that it will want to promote the book. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that Amazon wants to maximize revenue, so pricing a book at $.99 is not in the company's best interest.
- After some thought, I also decided to sign up for Kindle Select. This will allow readers who are part of the program to get the book for free. So, I decided this and the $3.99 was the best of both worlds.
- I sent an email to contacts, early readers, giveaways, etc.
- I did a book giveaway on Goodreads.
- I purchased a book promo deal on Choosy Bookworm for $40.
- I have boosted an excerpt of the book on Booksie.com and also have purchased a lead program there where an excerpt is sent to readers who opt-in.
- I ordered 10 copies of the hardcover to distribute to some influencers and I have chosen.

The result so far of Phase 1:

- I have sold 35 books and 2,081 pages on KENP. These are modest numbers but I'm really not promoting much yet.
- More importantly, reviews have started to come  in. I have one review on Amazon and one on Amazon.uk. These are unsolicited reviews.
- Sales are building and increasing over time, which I take to be a good thing

https://www.amazon.com/State-Vengeance- … 7613LCZV/r

I hope to get to the 100 sales goal by the end of November. Then, in December and January, the height of the holiday season and after, when people need to spend their Amazon gift cards, I will move on to phase II.

Phase II:

- Cut the price to $.99 for a couple of days and blast the book out through as many deal sites as I can. The goal is to jack the visibility.
- Once the blasts are done, I will bring the price back to $3.99.
- Continue to send copies out to interested Bloggers, readers, people in industry, etc.

Phase III:

- I haven't fully formulated my phase 3 yet. It's still a work in progress.

So, that's how it's going so far. I hope this helps. If you do have suggestions, I am all ears.

Re: Marketing State of Vengeance - Progress Report

Jake:

Thanks for sharing. This is very interesting for all of us.

One question: Does Amazon actually promotes your book? You say you selected a price that's interesting both form Amazon and you. However, I have the idea Amazon does not promote books at all. Okay, they send you this suggestions by email, but based on an algorithm that has nothing to do with the price and profit Amazon can make, but on your browsing,wish list, and interests. Am I wrong?

Kiss,

Gacela

Hi Gacela,

If you look on Amazon, they show featured recommendations. They also list books  in certain orders when you do a search. For instance, search for terrorism thriller books. The results depend on many factors, but one of factor is how much money Amazon will make if you purchase the product. All things being equal, does Amazon want to promote a $.99 book or a $3.99 book?

- Jake

I agree with Mariana about an Amazon promotion. Regarding Choosy Bookworm, is that the Read and Review program? I have had some experience with that and will share if interested. A short $.99 sale is a good idea, but I'd think about doing that in conjunction with a promotion website that has a large social media and e-mail reach. Unless you've got tens of thousands of followers on Twitter and friends on Facebook, doing this advertising yourself for the discount won't be as fruitful. Make sure your book is available in pdf, epub and mobi, since bloggers you're querying will have different demands re the format they prefer. And going back to Twitter and Facebook, get in the habit of posting something  about your book on those sites at frequent intervals. If you get "shared" or re-tweeted, you can reciprocate and develop a following. And if you have a book-signing event or blog interview, make sure that gets posted. That's all I've got for now. Good luck!

5 (edited by Randall Krzak 2017-10-20 21:52:05)

Good luck with your promotion and sales, Jake.

I signed up for bookbuzzr.com and they send out regular tweets regarding The Kurdish Connection. As Jack mentioned, others will begin retweeting. I've picked up new followers and some sales, too.

This is good information, Jake. Thank you.

Regarding Choosy Bookworm, is that the Read and Review program? I have had some experience with that and will share if interested. A short $.99 sale is a good idea, but I'd think about doing that in conjunction with a promotion website that has a large social media and e-mail reach.

It was the Choosy Bookworm Bookbuzz program. Hard to know what I got out of it. What was your experience Jack?

I signed up for bookbuzzr.com and they send out regular tweets regarding The Kurdish Connection. As Jack mentioned, others will begin retweeting.

I'll check out bookbuzzr. Thanks for the suggestion, Randy.

I got about a 50% review rate from the Read and Review program, though it's supposed to be 100%. The fee (they have discounts occasionally) covers 30 book requests. Some of those scofflaws had the nerve to request another book when I used Choosy again. I politely told them, sure, I'll send you the next book after you give that review you promised for the first one. I wouldn't use that program again. Regarding Bookbuzz, I have no experience.

Another thing I forgot to mention is Editorial Reviews on your Amazon author page. Select a line or two from your best reviews and post them there. Author Central will explain how to do that.

Thanks, Jack. That's good advice.