Topic: Question for New Members

Hi all,

I wanted to ask if you find the site confusing or difficult to use. If so, what can we do to make it easier for you?

Thanks,
Sol

Re: Question for New Members

I think the site is terrific. It may be a bit more complex than some of the other writing community sites I've checked out but it's also obvious that this site is well monitored, which makes a huge difference. I just hope I can find the time to fully participate.

I've posted my first and second chapters. I don't know which genre it should be.  Am I at the right place?

Hi Nita, you are in the right place. The genre doesn't really matter that much. It's more a guide for your readers. If you were to put the book up on Amazon or in a bookstore, what genre would you choose? Where would you place it?

I also noticed that you have posted your chapters as separate books. They can all be posted as one, which keeps iyour chapters together. There is a video on posting which might prove helpful.

https://www.thenextbigwriter.com/member … help-guide

If you need additional help, let me know.

Sol

I know this is an old thread, but since it's popped back up and you didn't receive much feedback on the original question anyhow, I'd like to offer my opinion.

Overall, the site is easy to use, although I did have a hard time finding my portfolio from my homepage the first few times. Something about "Post Your Writing" that made me think it was only for new pieces.

Also, perhaps it's just a bug or two, but when I'm viewing someone's work, the next and previous chapter buttons do nothing but refresh the page with the current chapter on it. In order to view another chapter or find the start of that book, I have to go to the author's page, find their work and then hope that it opens the first chapter and not the most recent.

Next, when I post a work of my own, the formatting has been a huge headache for me. I'm married to a web developer so I've had the necessary support to get me through it, but I write and post from a Chromebook (meaning I can't get Firefox and I'm posting from Google Docs) and every single time I've posted, it's taken at least five tries to get the formatting to work for me.

Finally, I did not understand the points system at all when I first signed up. The description of the points was great and I loved the idea, but when I first tried to post a chapter, it required more than my allotted 7 or 8 points that you start with and I could not get it figured out. Thankfully, we have some incredible and helpful writers in this community who helped me figure it out, but a better introduction to the points system and step-by-step how-to would be really helpful.

All that said, I love this site! I've been here just over a month and it has already proved to be invaluable. Thanks for all the hard work, the maintenance, and for coming here and asking these kinds of questions to make it better and better!

Thanks for the great feedback jhayward! I'll take a look at each of the points you mentioned.

Sol

I think it is really easy to use. I do not see any problems. Maybe update the intro video because the site has changed since 2014 but that is about it.

I don't know if I want to keep using this website.  It's the point system.  I don't know how many reviews I'd have to post, to be able to post one story or chapter of my own writing.  It isn't one review for one post, and I'm just not good at writing reviews.  I've written two novels with more than 25 chapters in each.  I have no idea how many reviews I'd have to post, before I can complete posting one of those novels.  It might take months or even years.  If that's the way it's going to be, then I'm just wasting my time, going along with this website's pretense, that I'd be the next big writer.

This site may not  be for you as the goal is to both receive and provide feedback. This is a workshop site.. You may find our sister site Booksie better suited to your needs.

Can you tell me how many words, or digits or characters, can be posted by somebody with only 7.5 points ? and thereafter, how many words can be posted for each point earned ?
Thanking you in advance.

11 (edited by Allaza 2018-12-25 20:58:30)

Hi, I’ve got a question on using the site on an iPhone. I never have time to sit at a desk, so do in-line reviews from my phone and each time I type a comment in line, I have to reload the page if I want to type another one.  It’s quite difficult to use.
My other question is formatting when submitting chapters. I use google docs for writing (again for easy access across device types) and when I want to post. I have to copy-paste into word and clear formatting and then paste it into this website. Otherwise it comes out all messed up... is there a way around this?

Hey! Just joined. I also like the above person was initially annoyed at how much I had to read and review to publish one of my chapters (half or third chapters really since no one seems to like reading more than about 1500 words at a stretch which, frankly fair enough.) I think I have to read roughly 3 times as much (WC wise) as what I want to post. But! In the end, I also want a lot of people to read my stuff so I sort of came around to it. Just a defense of the system because I think it is totally fair to have to read and review a lot to get the same amount and quality of feedback.

I do have one thought though - I am always struggling to find the publish page when I do get enough points to publish. Any way to put a quick link to that in the drop down? Also I think I've found a few people here doing what I do and publishing Chapter 1 part 1, part 2, etc. But there is no option for that in the dropdown link when adding content. I have to do Chapter 2, version 1, version 2. Not really a problem per se as I have a work around but just something that could be helpful in the future so people know that when I break a chapter it's not actually the chapter end. I write thrillers/ mysteries and obviously rely on cliffhangers so maybe that just means more to me than to others.

Otherwise I really like the site so far. (Though like Allaza, I wish I could read and review more easily on my phone as I have a lengthy train commute without access to internet.)

Thanks! (This site must have been a bear to put together)

Katherine