Re: WIP Rhiannon the Nude, Vol 2: New Fairy by Rhiannon

Rachel (Rhiannon) Parsons wrote:

CJ I appreciate all comments. Until I hear back from the publisher, I consider Book Ii a work in progress.  I'll probably even do kdot's suggestions before I hear back. Lol

102 (edited by Rachel (Rhiannon) Parsons 2017-09-10 17:19:37)

Kdot wrote:  This is all easy to fix eg...
"a) Ensure the birds never leave the battle so that they don't appear at the perfect moments
b) Mention the Wyms & the wyrm camps and their comings and goings - again removing the nick-of-time effect
c) You don't get much bang for the buck by having the pirates show up - maybe have Rhiannon lose that city and has to go rescue it herself
d) Reduce the red kites to only the vrouaca - since they were already introduced to the story - one less divergent element
e) Basically I'd recommend the trolls be the only surprise cavalry in this secction
edit: Sorry, didn't mean to imply there was only the one fix. Another method is adjust the timing.
We learn of the attack on the Delta - then we learn of the rescue a few paragraph later. Perhaps separating these two events by a chapter or two will allow R (and the reader) to dwell on the attack longer before it's flipped over to a non-problem."

KDot:  Thanks for these suggestions.  I went over and introduced the birds right as Rhiannon and Marlais march out, making their songs part of the auditory background.  I have a mention of harpies earlier.  When Yttrbyr arrives he tells of some of the comings and goings from wyrm encampments, including wyrm surveillance by blue dragons.  I then change the dragons in New Angley to blue dragons.  Red kites are red birds of prey, (a common expression for them once upon a time); as I assume the reader won't think her bird flocks are chickadees or humming birds, I leave them in.  Although it is an interesting idea to substitute bats (vrocalacas) for them. I did have them as part of the bird flock and mention eagles and harpies, so it won't be a complete shock The only element in the attack not mentioned  earlier are the goblins, and the comic relief depends on it being a surprize.  I didn't separate the problem and the solution by the pirates by a chapter, as it is mentioned right before the big wrap up, but I did have it separated by the ultimate battle scene with the rebels so it looked like a residual problem, and one that had to be sovled when the solution arrived.  And the word count wasn't changed all that much.  (I may have to trim by 7,000 words to meet my potential publishers requirements.  One darling I'm ready to eliminate is "Trouble's Coming."), but the battle scenes, if anything, might have to be expanded.  Thanks, again.

103 (edited by Rachel (Rhiannon) Parsons 2017-09-20 06:06:59)

I used to be in academia.  I'll never forget the rejection letter that went, "Employment decisions are arbitrary, subjective, and just plain stupid.  We can't explain why we rejected you, but we did.  Good luck with your job hunt."  The people then gave me an interview, berated me for not applying, and then rejected me again.  Oh, well.  This is why I'm a tutor.  God bless the free market. I have just received two rejection letters, one right after the other.  The first was from Fiery Press.  I can't take it seriously.  I only sent out an application to see if I would duplicate the experience of the writer her who got rejected almost before he got acknowledged.  Well, it took a little longer in my case, but the rejection letter was so formulaic, I could not infer that they actually read my story.

Not so, the one from Winterwolf Press.  They had obviously read my story, liked it, and rejected it anyway.  I'm tempted to use a suitably edited version of it as a testimonial for my book--for the next publisher I try or for my self-publishing.  Here it is:

"(We found the piece to be an amazingly detailed fantasy story which was very open and frank about its discussion of sexuality. The Celtic mythology mixed in and the sci-fantasy spin propelled it from a normal fantasy into something more unique. Though the humorous parts are important in some aspects, one reader felt that at times the humor, though landing well, took away from the heavy impact of other parts of the story. Again, this is subjective opinion rather than a qualitative judgment. We wish you well in placing it, as we feel it's a very strong piece and it won't be hard to find a publisher.)"

Just a slight editing and there you have it.  My amazingly detailed fantasy story, open and frank discussion of sexuality, and Celtic mythology and the sci-fantasy spin, something more unique, with important humorous parts that landed well.  Cool.

I think they're wrong about it not being hard to find a publisher.  They did say it was 'something more unique.'  Who wants unique?  Formulas.  That's the way to go, man.

But again, God bless the free market.  If you need it done right, do it yourself.
lol

Book II is now complete.  I've polished it to the point where it shines.  I was inspired by the rejection letter from Winterwolf.  Heck, I'm using that in my initial marketing.  As far as I'm concerned, it just needs an ISBN number.  Not even that.  I'll soon be taking it down from tBNW, which also means the chapters of Book III will be, but I'll put them back up when I start posting again.  In the meantime, they are posted on Inkitt, again for the time being.  Thank you all for your great reviews and comments.  They made the book like tempered steel.  Whew!  It's finally done.  I'm looking for potential publishers (any suggestions?)  I don't care if they're big or small, just so they help get the word out.

That sounds like the one I'm in. if so, how long do I have? If not, ignore my rambling

Kdot:  This is the book you're in.  It ends on Chapter 44.  The next four chapters properly belong to the next book.  Unless there's a way to take down just part of the book, they will be taken down to, only to rise again as the first four chapters of the third book.  And feel free to tell me of enhancements.  Although I have declared it done, until it is published, it is never really done.  You  have about two weeks before I do the deed

Just got the notice from Kindle.  It may take 72 hours for it to appear, but it is published.  Yay!  I'll be taking it down from here and doing all those publishing things--ads on Facebook, posts on Facebook, and I will be reading it in Second Life.  Yippee!  Get your tablets and phones ready to see the final version and all those edits I made because of you all.

Yippee, yay, kiay!

Love, Rachel

Great job, Rachel, congrats! It seems everybody in our group is publishing.

Are you self-publishing or did you sell it?

Kiss,

Gacela.

Rhiannon the Birds:  Out of Exile is now available at this link:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076W52H72

What's the most logical book to proceed to? Perhaps it makes the most sense to go into to the one about her son?

-Kenneth

I've taken the one about her son down, as it reveals too much.  If you've read the prequel, then the logical next book is "Rhiannon the Birds:  Exile's End," which currently is in beta on Inkitt. You can post reviews of it, but it's not like the detailed ones that you did here, which were so useful.  Still, one reader I'm in touch with says he is enjoying it, although he finds her sanguinary outfits (like her war paint) kind of gross.  Still, bloody body paint is a lot better than total nakedness.   I'm seeing how many readings I get as they decide whether to publish on that basis. It is pretty polished, so not sure if I will post it here, although I began it at the end of "Out of Exile."  I guess sort of like those books that preview the next novel.  There is a 4th volume that I may work on here, but it begins where the 3rd volume ends, so it too would reveal plot twists.  Of course, one big one is still unrevealed.  Right now, I'm just going to review people until I have enough to post, and then decide. Id' love to have you as a reader on that other site, Kdot.  And of course, everyone here is invited, as well, and remember, there are a lot of changes from the draft here to the book.  (Is that a hint that you should buy it?  Would I do something that crass?  lol).

Rhia. How are you doing? My only word of warning, not a WARNING as it were, but...

Make sure you make Rhiannon's nudity an event. But leave it ambiguous. By which I mean: It MIGHT be a witch's curse or it might be the princess's own radical power play... Blaming her vulnerability on a witch's curse in order to gather sympathy/sexual arousal and assume power.

I dunno. Either way, I'm excited. smile

Cheers

John

John:  Not so much in this book, but overall, it is a little ambiguous.  It's suggested in Book III (posted now on Inkitt) that it is vestiphobia.  Her sister suggests its a power play of a sort.  I might develop those, but except for a radical blooper, Out of Exile is published.  Onward and upward!

Oh, and once I get my points up, I may post Exile's End here, to take advantage of these and other great feedback.

John:  Not so much in this book, but overall, it is a little ambiguous.  It's suggested in Book III (posted now on Inkitt) that it is vestiphobia.  Her sister suggests its a power play of a sort.  I might develop those, but except for a radical blooper, Out of Exile is published.  Onward and upward!

How does Inkitt works? It is worth signing up?

Kiss,

Gacela

116 (edited by Rachel (Rhiannon) Parsons 2017-10-30 17:17:41)

Hi, Gacela:

I'm not sure if it is worth signing up for; I'm still waiting on results.  If you get 500 'readings,' they consider publishing you, and they will market your book if they do.  They have contests with that as a prize.  However, I've had only about 200 readings, only a couple of writing buddies, and the contest I'm entered in hasn't closed yet.  So the jury is still out, as they say.

Progress, my friends.  I have finished my re-write of "The Loves of Rhiannon."  I will be reformatting it--starting chapters on separate pages--adding an acknowledgment page and an introduction.  I will be looking for cover art.  Any suggestions?  There is a website where you can buy/subscribe to cover art, thus, getting around copyright restrictions, and of course, I can always hire an artist.

I will be re-issuing "Out of Exile."  Yeah, I know it's a little early for that, but I didn't have an introduction or acknowledgement page, or give credit for references, and they won't let me add one, so a second edition ("new and improved" lol).

Soon, unless Inkitt decides to publish it, I will be taking my novel there down too and publishing it through Kindle.

So, in a few weeks (can't tell you when), all the present Rhiannon novels will be off their sites and only available through Kindle.  So, please, if you want to read them here and offer suggestions, time is running out.

Also, I will be posting the third novel in the series, and there will be a spoiler in it.  Can't help that.  Originally, I was writing one novel, but now, it's three, as fifteen hundred plus pages is a bit much.  (Of course, after I made that decision, I found a fantasy novel of that length at B&N.  Do I regret my decision?  Naw.  It's cool being the author of a series.)

Then, of course, there is the fourth, which is set in the same universe, has the same characters, but is not part of the continuing story line.  After all the evolution of the first three novels, it will undergo major changes, as some characters should be replaced by the main ones.  (I've stuck to the Star Trek seven:  Rhiannon, Heather, Rosalyn, Jeb Hardwick, Barbara Carruthers, Diane Witherspoon, and Hevyedd.)

Oh, and this doesn't count the novel about the love affair between Rhiannon's son, Pryderi, and Callista, the New Prydain slave girl sent by Queen Branwen to seduce him.  (It's now several stories combined by transitions into one.)

The third novel is multiple 3rd-person POV, for a change.  So we will see thing from the perspective of each of the Magnificient Seven.

Onward and Upward!

Congratulations, Rhiannon. I'm doing my best to keep up with reviews. I would hate not to finish this one. How long do you think you'll leave it up while reformatting and editing?

C J Driftwood wrote:

Congratulations, Rhiannon. I'm doing my best to keep up with reviews. I would hate not to finish this one. How long do you think you'll leave it up while reformatting and editing?

At least until the end of March.  May take longer.  Don't want to rush things.  And thank you!

I will be looking for cover art.  Any suggestions?  There is a website where you can buy/subscribe to cover art, thus, getting around copyright restrictions, and of course, I can always hire an artist.

Interesting.
*Wanders off*

What's the current title of the book I read, aka R the Nude

Kdot wrote:

What's the current title of the book I read, aka R the Nude

Rhiannon the Nude:  Out of Exile.  When I release the 2nd edition (which is identical to the first but with acknowledgements, credits, introduction, etc.) it will be Out of Exile:  Rhiannon the Nude Vol 2. 

The next one in the series is "Exile's End"

And the Loves of Rhiannon will be "Love in Exile." 

Sense a theme?  lol

As you may have noticed, my remaining novel on the site now is "Love in Exile: A Rhiannon the Nude Story."  It has a new cover.  Now, I am re-formatting it.  Soon, I will be publishing it.  The novel, "Out of Exile:  A Rhiannon the Nude Story," will be published on Kindle in 72 hours, and my price for the ebook will be $2.99.  This will also be the price of "Love in Exile."  After all of this is done, I will publish the book now on Inkitt, "Exile's End," and will start posting the 4th book in this series on tNBW.

OK, I was going to wait awhile, but I was reviewing Book IV, "Time for Exile," and It was really good (if I do say so myself), and I was making the kinds of edits that my reviewers would make, so I couldn't resist.  Found some cover art that was appropriate, and have posted the first chapter.  I will get to my reviews, I promise you.  This is the last of the "Can I get 50,000?" words out of this tetralogy.  But there are two further books (at least).  One really needs revamping, given what's been going on in the series, and the other is, so far, a series of short stories or novellas with transitional scenes (which isn't bad, but indicates some thought as to a plot might be good before posting).  Can't wait to read your comments.