Topic: Big Spy, Little Spy

Big spies in novels, movies, etc., that glorify the spy who saves the world... Bond, Ludlum characters, etc... But there is the little spy, the man or woman who pretends to be a customer at a large store, but is really spying on the employee for the company. Talk about "toe the line" or else. What an interesting character study: weasel or company savior or ?

Here is a character who sees into various individuals personalities and problems, people who must follow the company policies, but what else might this company spy see? When you look too closely at any individual the lines get blurred, as everyone has a secret. I was thinking a company spy might uncover a murder/murderer and then this exposed murderer realizes he (or she) is discovered then learns who the company spy is, or thinks he knows and then...

Any books or films run this type of plot?

Re: Big Spy, Little Spy

This doesn't sound like a familiar plot, but it is an intriguing idea.

I like the idea, Max. A guy/gal who loves the job of spying on employees for the boss because it's his/her natural bent. And this character takes it a step further by spying on employees when they're off work on his own time. And that's when he stumbles into the murder. There might be similar plots already out there in books or movies, though I can't think of one. But who cares? The same basic plots are reworked dozens of times.

Very good points, Jack.

It has been months since a plot unfolded for me. This idea created a big scenario wherein I envisioned a female main character who resembles Hilary Swank; a single mom separated from an abusive husband and trying desperately to make it on her own. However, she has an inquisitive streak, a nosy personality which has always gotten her into BIG trouble.

As the main counterpoint, I saw a hard-boiled George Simon's type detective who intervenes in their domestic dispute. While at her home, investigating abuse from here husband, he sees computer photographs of a character he is investigating for murder and much more. She admits to a preoccupation for digging into people's lives beyond her work as a secret shopper, business spy. To her is is a game, but also an obsession. I can tie the husband into dealings with the villain and therefore he becomes a suspect, an accomplice type suspect to the detective.

The detective character warns her that digging into others lives (especially a character he sees on her camera/computer) can spin out of control. At this point I've set the plot in motion. The third counterpoint melody (red herring) is the abusive husband who is a read turd of a character.

The fourth melody/character of the counterpoint plot is the villain, whom I saw as the  Green River serial murderer, an infamous psychopath here in Washington. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ridgway ) ... a real nut case.

I've read three Georges Simenon novels in the past month and his character/detective Maigret is an inspiration to me. And thanks guys for the replies...  it prompted my writing brain to spin out a workable rough draft that I hope will tie me to my desk again.

This sounds very good to me, Max. The plot, the characters, and the visuals should do nicely. I'd say go for it!

I will.

I'm drafting out this idea. QUESTION: Fraternal twins, a boy and a girl, the boy has Downs Syndrome, the girl is normal. Is this possible, genetically speaking?

Yes, it's possible - and has happened.