Topic: Best Enterprise Captain (Television)

Your choices are:

A) Kirk
B) Picard
C) Janeway
D) Spock
E) Sulu
F) Archer

Disqualified:
Sisko (Never captained an Enterprise class vessel)
Riker (Only captained one episode)
Worf (Ditto)
Data (Ditto)
Beverly Crusher (Ditto, and even when she did, it was the computer running the show)
Archer... hmm okay he passes. Barely

Re: Best Enterprise Captain (Television)

I'm a Picard guy. A natural for the role. Kirk was just too much of a drama queen for me.

3 (edited by Norm d'Plume 2014-11-23 00:00:32)

Continental Navy of the United States[edit]
USS Enterprise (1775), a Sloop-of-war, burned to prevent capture in 1777
Enterprise (1776), a Schooner, returned to Maryland Council of Safety in 1777

United States Navy[edit]
USS Enterprise (1799), a sailing vessel that fired the first shots in the First Barbary War
USS Enterprise (1831), a sailing vessel
USS Enterprise (1874), a sailing vessel
Enterprise (SP-790), a motorboat (1917-1919)
USS Enterprise (CV-6), an aircraft carrier (1938-1947) that served in World War II
USS Enterprise (CVN-65), a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier (1961-2013)
USS Enterprise (BLDG 7115), a commissioned building (2005–2011), the orientation "ship" for students at Great Lakes
USS Enterprise (CVN-80), third ship of the Ford class of aircraft carriers. Scheduled to be constructed and in operation by 2025.

Star Trek[edit]
Enterprise (NX-01), the central starship in Star Trek: Enterprise
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), the central starship in the original Star Trek television show
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-A), a starship in the fourth, fifth, and sixth Star Trek films
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D), a 24th-century starship in the Star Trek fictional universe and the principal setting of Star Trek: The Next Generation
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-E), a Sovereign-class starship in the Star Trek franchise
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-M), a starship in Star Trek: Of Gods and Men
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-B, -C, -F, and -J), other ships known as Starship Enterprise

:-)

Personally, I grew up watching Kirk and, therefore, loved anything with the original crew, especially the first STII: Wrath of Kahn. Ricardo Montalban stole every scene he was in.

I agree that Kirk was a drama queen, but that's what helped define and make him memorable ("Bones, do something!")...

Point of order - Janeway was never a captain of the Enterprise, although I thought she was awesome. She currently stars as Red on Orange is the New Black.

As for the away team, Kirk and Spock or Kirk and Bones would be on the away team. If Spock goes, Scotty is in charge ("I canna beam ya back, Captin."). If I remember correctly, Spock wasn't often in command. He usually went where the main story arc went, which means with Kirk. I could see Bones advising Scotty on the bridge, rather than keeping his ars in sickbay, where it belonged. No wonder so many of his patients died ("He's dead, Jim!"). Any old red shirts will do for the away team, since they're going to die anyway.

Ah, the memories.
Dirk

I'll toss my money into Picard's ring.  He seemed the most cool one in any situation.  He even got assimilated and fought back.

Tom

Captain Janeway. I modelled my Admiral Alexis Windsor on her. Shameless plug: see Into the Mind of God v3. :-)

Kirk will always be the best and only true captain of the Enterprise. I watched the classic version when it originally aired and then went on to meet the man in person several times. He was an arrogant womanizer and overly dramatic, but that's what made him Kirk for me. I was already familiar with him from his early tv playhouse roles and a movie that scared the bejeebies out of me when I was a young babysitter (The Hungry Glass). I vote for the original.

Q, is my choice since he, more than once, took total control of the Enterprise.

The series opener with Q/Picard was painful to watch. Q was largely consistent throughout the series, but thankfully Picard became less of a wide-eyed explorer and more of a solid leader for the Federation.

12 (edited by max keanu 2015-04-14 21:29:12)

KHippolite wrote:

For purposes of the upcoming contest, The Q is disqualified

Q will be unhappy. And we all know what happens when Q gets angry, egad!

Again, I vote for Janeway as my Irish Setter looks just like her. And, since Hillary Clinton is running for president, I feel a vote for Janeway is a vote for all strong and intelligent women.

Picard with Kirk as a close second.

Picard is the best. He also set the tone for those who followed.  Never liked Kirk, even though I loved the series. I am guessing it was the Director that made Kirk the way he was.

15 (edited by max keanu 2015-12-26 17:11:36)

Best Captain of enterprise... dare I write, Donald Trump? Can you imagine "The Donald" as Captain Trump of the Enterprise meeting a Klingon?.

Klingon asks " Captain Rump, is it?"
Trump, " Captain Trump, you dorky, butt-ughly Rosie O'Donnel clone..."
Klingon, " SoH Heghpu', you of hair like fairy and SO muSqu' by my kind! "

I'll have to cast my vote to Janeway. I've always liked the idea that she's a scientist as well as a commanding officer. Besides, coffee is so much better than tea (earl grey, of course). wink

-Elisheva

Picard was far and away the closest captain to a real navy captain.  But Kirk was my favorite, and I think the best for the mission.  If I were sending out a ship to explore the galaxy and a misstep might mean the end of the human race, I would want a Captain Kirk.  I will amplify that while William Shatner is usually who comes to mind, and this question applies only to the TV series, I think the latest incarnation with Chris Pine is perfect.  Military enough, regulation enough to be a squared-away naval officer, tempered by failure with humility, with the intuition, panache, and wacked out crazy creativity you need when an alien you never suspected is about to wipe out humanity.  So for me, it's Kirk all the way, both TV and in the latest movie series.

I'll eventually build this into a contest

You left out Christopher Pike.  Boo.

Rachel Parsons wrote:

Well, he did give us Kirk, so I guess he deserves some recognition.

Rachel Parsons wrote:

Nice catch.

Hi there people I am praachi saini from india, and i am a newbie writer can you just help on how to build up a story and how to give title heads of it. Since I have a very good imaginative and complex story in my mind , I just don't know how to frame it. As I am still on stage 0 pls if you can help on it.

What launches your protagonist on his odyssey?