Topic: Build it and they will come...sorta

There was a raging debate in the main group about substance abuse that morphed into revisiting the Trayvon Martin case and other right-wing set your hair on fire issues in a thread about medical marijuana. It got shut down. Now those same opponents are thrashing it out in the main group over predestination/fate/destiny. Calling names, insulting each other's intelligence. It's only a matter of time before one or both go too far and SolN shuts that thread down, too. Which is unfortunate for the thread is one of the few about writing in that group.

I invited one of the opponents to come here and fight no holds barred, no thread closure, no post pulling. And I got nothing in response. Which is what I pretty much expected. Why go to a group with only eleven members to slug out your disagreement when you can do it in front of the whole TNBW community?

When the new site opened and I saw groups I wondered how the community was going to stay close. I opposed the group idea until SolN explained that this is a writing group and not a social one. Then groups made sense. It also made sense to me to start a group where disagreements would be settled, hurt feelings vented and people could voice their opinion and not be invalidated by having their posts pulled or threads closed.

I'm keeping this group open, even if the membership dwindles to nothing as a safe haven for free speech, and I'll keep inviting people here because even though we're a community of writers, we are also people with different view points that should be respected no matter how they're expressed.

big_smile

2 (edited by j p lundstrom 2015-06-26 18:53:43)

Re: Build it and they will come...sorta

dags--nice to know you're trying to keep us lined up. I just finished teasing Charles f bell on the site forum, so I'm guilty as charged. It's just that sometimes I can't resist puncturing a pompous balloon when I see it, because it amuses me. But the amusement doesn't hold up when I think about taking the fight outside, or to Fight Club. Too much effort involved. I'll be happy to go a few rounds with someone who starts a fight here, though. JP

j p lundstrom wrote:

dags--nice to know you're trying to keep us lined up. I just finished teasing Charles f bell on the site forum, so I'm guilty as charged. It's just that sometimes I can't resist puncturing a pompous balloon when I see it, because it amuses me. But the amusement doesn't hold up when I think about taking the fight outside, or to Fight Club. Too much effort involved. I'll be happy to go a few rounds with someone who starts a fight here, though. JP

JP.
I just read your post and I agree with you. I really hate to wade through 'word salads' full of a lot of words with little to no informational value. Now, undoubtedly, the writer of such long missives will come back and tell you didn't understand what they wrote, even though what they wrote was only understandable by them. They congratulate themselves on being ununderstandable, convinced they are the smartest person in the room. When in reality, they are narcissist in love with their own written voice. To me, writing is communication and what good is writing something so vast and convoluted that no one understands it? To me that's not communication, that's mind masturbation and an attempt to appear to be smarter than you are. 

In the thread I mentioned and you've just posted in, the idea of fate and predestination are just that, ideas. There's no basis in fact to justify their existence. There is not one person who can say for sure that they know their fate, or that they were predestined to be in the place they are now. That's why it's a FICTIONAL literary device.

As for you teasing Charles, I am just as guilty, posting a whole article about World Net Daily and how they make up news items with a right wing agenda, then post them as if they were true. I tried to refrain from getting involved, but I have three biracial grandchildren and when I saw NJC quoting lies as truth simply because Travon Martin was black, I couldn't let it go unchallenged.

I built this group based on free speech and I think, as more threads are shut down, more posts pulled, the TNBW community will find their way here.

big_smile

They're at it again--over in Premium group. Fighting over the use of dialogue tags. What you're allowed to use and what's strictly forbidden.  I've noticed one thing--the people who are most willing to jump in and air their opinions are those who haven't posted any new work since 2010. Maybe they haven't had an idea since then. I think they just argue to see their words in print.

I was going to suggest they come over to the Fight Club, but all sides dispute they're fighting! It's to laugh.

j p lundstrom wrote:

They're at it again--over in Premium group. Fighting over the use of dialogue tags. What you're allowed to use and what's strictly forbidden.  I've noticed one thing--the people who are most willing to jump in and air their opinions are those who haven't posted any new work since 2010. Maybe they haven't had an idea since then. I think they just argue to see their words in print.

I NOTICED THAT IT'S THE SAME NINE OR TEN CHATTERS AND THEY KNOW ONLY A FEW PEOPLE WILL SEE THEIR POSTS IF THEY FIGHT HERE COMPARED TO BEING EXPOSED TO EVERY MEMBER IN THE MAIN FORUM...AND THE SHIT THEY ARGUE ABOUT IS LIKE JACK SAID...IT'S TO LAUGH...

smile

Looks like The Boys are hiding out in the bathroom again, sharing their command of bad words. Guess they still can't think of anything to write.