Topic: Raven's Curse and Dawn of the Tiger WIP

CJ Driftwood is now a member of our group, and I'm posting this to encourage people to discuss her books.

Re: Raven's Curse and Dawn of the Tiger WIP

Thank you!
And thanks for the quickie and the research on "serial murderers". Over the long weekend I went back to working diligently on the first book (I've been neglecting it and decided I need to get serious) and discovered a really good website that covered the history of the FBI, which should help me with some other anachronisms. I discovered the "Identification Order" that was the start of the criminal database. First one was 1919. By 1930s they were circulating. So I think I can use that in a few places!

I was so happy for you when I found the reference.  It happened as I was watching an Australian show,"The Mind of a Serial Killer," about a man who killed 70 people in Norway in (I think) 2012. They had to rationalize calling him a serial killer. (In America, we would call him a domestic terrorist, not a serial killer--he was like the guy killing gays at the Paradise in Florida, only his target was politicians who let Muslim immigrants into Aryan Norway and their children.)  This got me thinking of you, and I started my research, which led me to that article by the German psychologist, dated 1930. Bravo on finding the "Identification Order."  You could also make up a private detective agency, modeled after the Pinkertons, to had as extensive a file as you want.  Keeping files on everyone dates back to at least Fouche, Napoleon's police chief, who had a file on everybody (and I do literally mean everybody) in Paris.  Sherlock Holmes' files on London criminals was as complete as only a fictional detective could make it.  Lots of ways to simulate modern stuff.  (I have to do similar things.  I have werewolves, who can see the full light spectrum, do spectro-analysis.  They just see the difference in elements. Got the idea from an Ambrose Bierce story, "The Damned Thing," about a beast that had the color of the invisible light spectrum.  Bees might be able to see it, but humans couldn't.  Although this is sort of the other way around. lol)

Yay. I see the third installment, "The Final Conflict" is now being posted.  I won't get to it until I've finished "Raven's Curse."  But I will say this much.  Perhaps consider a title that stays with the books.  Not "Dawn of the Tiger," "Raven's Curse," and "The Final Conflict," but maybe "The Wolf and the Raven, then subtitle:  "Out of the Fog," "Raven's Curse," "The Final Conflict."  Anyway, great news, and I look forward to reading the third installment.

I’m not final on any of the titles. The glue between them is fog and shadows, but trying to work out a cohesive series title.

Then maybe:  "Out of the Fog: A Fog and Shadows Story," "Raven's Curse:  A Fog and Shadows Story," "The Final Conflict:  A Fog and Shadows Story."  It took me a look time and a lot of feedback before I decided "Exile" should appear in the title of my Rhiannon books.  Inspired by Nora Roberts' "Death..." Series.  You know, "Naked in Death," "Outraged in Death,"  "Dead in Death."

I totally agree. The point was to repeat "something to do with shadows and/or fog in every title. It needs to be short and punchy- I'm just not there yet. I think Shadows and Fog was a Woody Allen movie.

Well, Wolf and Raven, then.  Unless you want to wear those horrible horn-rimmed glasses.

The wolf and the raven sounds like an English pub.

Rachel (Rhiannon) Parsons wrote:

Well, Wolf and Raven, then.  Unless you want to wear those horrible horn-rimmed glasses.

But everyone thinks positively toward English pubs, so you might attract readers just from that association. lol

CJ:  Yes, your punctuation is much better in The Final Conflict.  You might reconsider the name, as it is also the name of the last movie in the original Antichrist Movie series, The Omen.  Yes, you are maturing as an author.  I face a similar problem where the flagship of my novel series, "Out of Exile" is actually more poorly written than, well, the one I'm currently working on.  So in terms of quality, it's "Love in Exile," "Exile's End," then "Out of Exile," with the forth the one I really should showcase.  Oh, well.  It's fun or we wouldn't do it.  Fritz Leiber had a writing buddy in his initial years.  Both wen ton to success, although I'll be darned if I can't think of the other guy's name.  I feel you are my writing buddy.

All three titles as well as cover treatments are works in progress. I’m not sold on any, except to keep the series Into the Fog. That’s where all the creepy action takes place.
I’ve been heartened by the sudden comma questions in forums, though, and don’t feel as inept as I used to feel.
I’m happy to be your writing buddy. Your comments make me laugh, and are always very helpful, hope mine are for you. I would say that if you don’t improve at least a little after each book, your missing something. And let’s beware the curse of fame and success, where one starts churning out formulaic work like Ludlum and King, or need to hire someone to write for us like Patterson. Though, I wouldn’t mind their payday.

13 (edited by Rachel (Rhiannon) Parsons 2018-09-09 17:28:33)

Sorry, CJ, if I thought the chapter I was reviewing was the third book.  Kelley's character seems more polished and mature, yet still of her age in it.  Even if in a t-shirt and panties, you need to be more specific about what she's putting on, although overalls or pants and a t-shirt wouldn't be as inappropriate as I first thought.  I hope my comments, although misaligned with what I was reading, were of some help. Oh, and I met a woman at my dojo who said that she didn't wear clothes until she was eleven--her parents were hippies.  Now, Chief isn't a proto-hippie (I think they were called "Lost Generation" back then) but details about attire add to a setting.

The character is more polished, because I think I'm on the 50th rewrite of that book.  Your comments are always a tremendous help. Kelly's "uniform" is a tee-shirt, overalls and Chucks. I state it throughout the novels, but through so many re-writes, who knows anymore. I'll make it clearer.

So I was thinking about the "car chase" idea late last night when I was supposed to be sleeping but it was -40C outside which makes for some discomfort when you sleep near a door and a window, and I also came up with two neat hooks for stories I'll never write, but I digress.

So I'm visualizing how a car chase could come about, and it reminds me that one character was intrigued that Mike could move around safely. Mike laughs this off. Small town. Aha, but what if he wasn't safe?

Picture him leaving Maggie and gets that followed feeling. Only... safe harbour is across town instead of around the corner. He's jogging. Nervous. Pounding footsteps behind him. Right before the follower(s) get him, up comes [Sharon Stone] in a shiny red corvette (Don't laugh. Work with me here).

Sharon (Doing her lipstick in the rearview mirror) Get in
Mike: Who re you? I don't know you.
Sharon: No time like the present

Mike hops in, and Sharon takes off. Baddies show up in a beat up truck with one headlight that always seems to be turning onto the road behind the corvette as Sharon races it.

(Queue info drop while race continues)

Crash!

Mike wakes up in bed. Was that a dream?

@Kdot,
I don't think I ever said Mike was safe. In fact, he will be attacked in a future chapter. But I think you're right, I need to find a way to put Sharon Stone into the book- though she hadn't been born yet, but I do explain later that time is also just another dimension.

Chapter Two. Maggie's seen Mike get into Sharon's corvette. When he gets out of bed "Who was that?"