Topic: MIA

I'll be MIA for a while.

Today was a cancer-treatment day for my sister. I said goodbye to my dad and picked up Sandi, and we headed for New Hampshire. I expected a typical 9-hour day, but nope. The really long bag/infusion was on backorder, so it was a much shorter treatment. I dropped Sandi off at her house around 2:00 pm and headed home.

And... there was an empty cop car parked at the top of our driveway. Not good.

It's a shared driveway. I certainly don't wish ill on my neighbors, but I admit to hoping maybe the emergency would be at one of their houses. No such luck. It was ours.

I parked at the next-door neighbor's house (so I wouldn't block the driveway), and I ran. The nice EMTs were hauling my dad up to the ambulance in the pouring rain. He was unresponsive, but I'm pretty sure he'd already been sedated. He'd experienced difficulty breathing and called 911 on his own.

After the police worked out who I was, they let me tell my dad I was there, and I'd see him at the hospital. I think a glimmer of recognition passed across his face. I squeezed his ankle (cuz that was all I could reach) and got the heck out of everyone's way.

I picked up Sandi, and we got to the hospital long before the ambulance. They loaned me a wheelchair and a spare oxygen tank for Sandi, so I could push her to the ER, and she didn't have to run her tank dry, waiting. Once my dad arrived, someone came and took us to "the quiet room" where a nurse would come and speak to us.

I rearranged chairs so Sandi could lie down. Someone saw what I'd done and came back with a big recliner. They were so very kind.

We were nervous, but yay! My dad is stable. His vitals all look good. He's still sedated and now intubated and hanging out in the ICU. He has fluid in his lungs. Could be pneumonia, but more likely congestive heart failure.

So, we'll see how it goes. There'll be hell to pay when he realizes his favorite shirt has been sliced in two.

Re: MIA

Gosh, Nancy...how did you have enough wits about you to even write this post?  That's a day pulled straight from the pages of a movie set.  I'm so sorry you had to go through all that.  I hope your Dad is on the mend and that you and your sister are finally able to get some rest.  What an ordeal for you.  Keep us updated on his condition (and yours).

Prayers and positive wishes heading your way.
Hugs,
MJ

Nancy,

Di and I wish your dad the very best and your family strength. Our prayers are with you. I almost lost my wife (Di) twice since November (Sepsis and a stroke), so I can somewhat empathize with you. She's doing better - hoping and praying the same for your dad.

Alan & Di

OH, Nancy, I wish you all the strength in the world to get through this. Prayers for your dad and your sister.

So sorry to hear what you're going through, Nancy. Take care of you and we'll be here when you're ready to return. Until then, sending love and light your way.

Hang in there, Nancy!  "Stable" is a good thing. (Although I'm sure it probably doesn't feel that way right now!) Hugs and good thoughts!

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, Nancy. I'm sending prayers and well wishes. Big hug to you xo

HI, Nancy, I hope both you dad and sister are doing okay.

So sorry to hear about your dad's passing Nancy. sad