Topic: I have a question

So, once we make the changes and/or corrections from our reviews, can we call the chapter version 2? Or, do we have to repost the chapter, naming it version 2. I'm not sure what the protocol is. Thank in advance smile

2 (edited by Norm d'Plume 2018-04-22 01:44:33)

Re: I have a question

The site provides two ways to handle this:

1. Edit (overwrite) the existing chapter by simply replacing the contents of the chapter. This allows you to put up the changes for those who haven't yet read it, avoiding the hassle of everyone telling you about the same errors. You do not require points to edit an existing chapter, but it also won't appear on everyone's home pages as a new chapter, and it won't pay points to those who already reviewed it. The system sees it as the same chapter, albeit with different text.
2. Create a new chapter with an incremented version number. This requires points and will appear on everyone's home page as a new chapter, and will pay points to everyone who reviews it. You then have the option of making the old chapter inactive (invisible), which is usually advisable to avoid confusion. One time when you may want to leave the old chapter active is if you want people to be able to compare the old and the new. Even though an inactive chapter is not visible to others, you still have access to it and to all of the reviews associated with it. If you're completely done with the old chapter and its reviews, you can also delete the chapter, which will eliminate the old reviews with it.

Most of the above steps you can find by clicking around inside your portfolio from your menu at the top right of the home screen, and from within the chapter view of individual chapters (i.e., where you normally go to view your chapters). One word of caution, there are two ways to edit a chapter when you're viewing it. The white edit "button" will take you to the 5-step publish wizard that you're already familiar with. From within there, you can do anything you like (simple edit, add chapters, publish, make active/inactive, delete, etc.). In addition to the edit button, there is also an edit "link" further down the screen on the chapter view. The edit link is a shortcut to editing your existing chapter text without replacing the chapter (i.e., option 1 above).

Clear as mud? Feel free to post back if you need more help.

Dirk

Jeanne M. Bannon wrote:

So, once we make the changes and/or corrections from our reviews, can we call the chapter version 2? Or, do we have to repost the chapter, naming it version 2. I'm not sure what the protocol is. Thank in advance smile

Yes, you can make changes to your existing chapter, and you can change the designation to version 2, 3, 4, etc., as you go. I make changes every time I get a good suggestion (making sure I mark the review as "applied feedback"). That's how I keep up with reviews.

I don't bother to change the version number because, as Norm said, reviewers don't receive notification of edits, nor do they receive points for reviewing a second time material the computer views as still the same.

When I need a reviewer to check my rewrite for me (very rare), I send them a personal message asking for a favor, and they can answer my question in the other review format. But again, they won't receive points for a second review.

This works for me, but I've seen other writers submit their work a second or third time in the revised form, with the revised version renumbered. I often miss those, by mistakenly thinking I've already reviewed them.

So, the answer is whatever works for you is right!  JP

Thanks for helping me figure things out around here, Dirk and JP. I greatly appreciate it.

What JP said--but the reason I don't bother loyal reviewers with minor changes (just quickly edit the content as is) is mainly because I'm saving their loyalty for the actual rewrite. Then I disable the draft version and create an entirely new project for the rewritten version. Everyone wins--they get points again and you stand a chance of gaining new readers.

Linda Lee wrote:

What JP said--but the reason I don't bother loyal reviewers with minor changes (just quickly edit the content as is) is mainly because I'm saving their loyalty for the actual rewrite. Then I disable the draft version and create an entirely new project for the rewritten version. Everyone wins--they get points again and you stand a chance of gaining new readers.

Good to know. Thanks Linda smile