Topic: What are the best spy fiction novels?

I'd like to get some weigh-ins regarding great spy novels. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold comes to mind. The IPCRIS File(Spelling)was very good, imo. Which ones really wow/ed you?

Re: What are the best spy fiction novels?

Try-

http://www.alanfurst.net/

or Robert Wilson's - A SMALL DEATH IN LISBON

I used to read a fair amount of Robert Ludlum, though his stuff has become a bit dated since the end of the Cold War. The original Bourne Identity was very well done, and remains a good read. The use of the agent-provocateur scenario is something that has not been done in quite a while.

Sorry for the very late replay, Max and TE. Thanks for the recommendations!

Len Deighton and John Le Carre were super back in the day with their series of spy books. Graham Greene was another noted purveyor of the genre. Also, William F. Buckley. Those books took place during the Cold War, though, when spies were a popular subject. Now industrial and cyber spying seem to be popular subjects, though we still have the CIA doing its cloak-and-dagger thing vis-a-vis other countries. And vice versa!

Big thanks, Jack! I've heard of Le Carre and Buckley. Never read them. I'm guessing I'd find plenty of books by all the guys you mentioned, at a library.