Topic: A real horror story in the making

Zika virus: A disease caused by mosquitoes, bringing about newborns with shrunken heads and afflicting the mothers with Gullain-Barre Syndrome. I have a variant of Gullain-Barre Syndrome, it destroyed my life, costs hundreds of thousands of dollars each year in treatments and may have influenced my wife's suicide.

THis disease is now a level one emergency, so the World Health & CDC state.

Mosquitoes, the brain-dead society of young mothers world-wide and a mass media that increases ratings through irrational panic (FOx News) are the perfect ingredients for a short story or disaster/horror/action-adventure novel.

Mosquitoes, tiny, evil monsters also cause a host of other diseases that kill millions of humans each year. SO maybe, in fiction, the mosquitoes grow to 500 pounds and silently prey on the obese who are so prevalent in American society... lol

Get this forum going, writers!

2 (edited by mikejackson1127 2016-04-25 09:53:30)

Re: A real horror story in the making

Ideas for horror fiction:  Gluttonous, overweight people becoming "homes" for alien spiders that make them eat even more, causing them to die off quickly + Ronald MacDonald clones that kill and raise their victims from the dead + ice cream trucks driven by zombies. The popsickers THEY sell contain human flesh + knee-high robots that threaten to take over the world. The only way to stop them is to pee on them - or in them + A mass murderer who can't stop doing imitations of Walt Disney characters, singing, acting, etc. + Possessed cows that kill farmers + Another installment of The Exorcist with Stallone and Washington... Maybe THEY become possessed? + Aggressive aliens with over-sized appendages... + Star Wars:  entertainers going berzerk and offing each other + An Alfred E. Newman doll that persuades kids to off their parents + Pat Sajak going nuts and slaughtering game show hosts + A used car dealer(played by Jim Carrey)who sells FLEETS of "Christines" + The original Titanic raised, restored. There are promotions offered for cruises into the Bermuda Triangle + A cross-eyed serial killer who winds up accidentally killing himself + Garage bands of psychos raiding churches and performing + Gigantic slimy worms from another galaxy that dominate the earth. They giggle a lot as they create problems for people. How to stop 'em? Raise Dante from the dead and persuade him to utter an incantation that will send them to his world! + built-in swimming pools that are levitated to the Moon. How? One of us will figure that out + Okay, I know Ernest Borgnine is before the time of many people on this site. Even so, wouldn't it be cool if someone here made a movie with an actor who looks a LOT like him and portrays Dracula. Instead of morphing into a bat, he changes into an English Bulldog. Plus he's able to make others into vampires as a "person" or as a bulldog. He just clamps onto their calves and drinks! + Cheech and Chong and G. Carlin come back as zombs. They kill people while they're laughing + A psychotic poet portrayed by an actor who looks a LOT like Grampa(the vampire)in The Munsters + A woman suspects her husband has been replaced...as soon as he displays horrible table manners: using the tablecloth as a snot rag; using it to dry the dishes and clean the floor; using a machete to trim his finger and toenails; using it to cut his hair and the hair of his sons; he's portrayed by someone who closely resembles Ed Asner and behaves like most J. Nicholson characters; his wife is portrayed by someone who strongly resembles Dustin Hoffman. The husband also howls at the moon while crawling backwards and vomiting. He digs holes in the yard and buries his wife's clothes and jewelry + a robot "stuck" on the word, Redrum! as it glides down halls, carrying an M-60 machine gun + A Glock melts in the hand of killer as the killer screams and as a Jim Carrey character stares at it with lazers coming out its eyes. The killer is portrayed by the actor who portrays Seinfeld's George Costanza + A chicken stand run by a zombie arsonist. It's called Extra Crispy + A movie with someone who looks like Dom DeLuise portraying a brutal heavywt boxer with no conscience + 

Enough weird and wild ideas for now...

Mike

I've got a few creepy ideas to add. How about a strange disease spread by bioterrorists that causes a person afflicted to begin decaying and decomposing, WHILE THEY'RE still alive! It can an interesting take on the zombie genre, as it focuses on their physical and mental states going straight to hell before ultimately dying a horrible death.
Or perhaps a quiet, mild-mannered man who is bullied and abused by co-workers at his job at he seems to just sit there and take it unaffected until one day he goes on a killing spree because he reaches his breaking point and no longer values life. He lives alone in his apartment and has very little contact with anyone, rarely speaking, only biding his time until all hell breaks loose.

Good ones, Tallow. Both are very workable and relevant ideas that could easily grow into stories or novels. 
Mike

5 (edited by max keanu 2016-05-12 15:25:45)

tallow wrote:

I've got a few creepy ideas to add. How about a strange disease spread by bioterrorists that causes a person afflicted to begin decaying and decomposing, WHILE THEY'RE still alive! It can an interesting take on the zombie genre, as it focuses on their physical and mental states going straight to hell before ultimately dying a horrible death.
Or perhaps a quiet, mild-mannered man who is bullied and abused by co-workers at his job at he seems to just sit there and take it unaffected until one day he goes on a killing spree because he reaches his breaking point and no longer values life. He lives alone in his apartment and has very little contact with anyone, rarely speaking, only biding his time until all hell breaks loose.

A STRANGE DISEASE SPREAD BY BIOTERRORIST... they have it (Antrax variations, etc.) or should I say that the major powers have it (even the USA). A twist on this would be to have the good guys (USA) supply a surreptitious enemy power, a fake enemy clad in ISIS identity for instance, with bio weapons to attack the USA to provoke an incident, (to give the hawks and brain-dead hard-ons reasons and the meat for war). The developing story line would be our do-gooder WASP protagonists get a wiff of this plot and then see how far up the command chain it goes to reveals the bad guys or gals. (And of course the twist on the twist would be to have them wiffing away in misinformation supplied by the good-badguys (lol), which only helps the originators of our devious plot achieve their complex goals of provocation).

Zika virus apparently causes Gullain-Burrie Syndrome... also called GBS. GBS is one of the nastiest disease humans can get. I know, as I have a variation of it. GBS will kill a human in about three weeks if not treated with IgG or ?. First, numbness happens at the distant place on the limbs, it then moves up the body taking down muscles system after muscle system until it weakens the phrenic nerves that controls breathing. Then you stop breathing... and all the while you're aware of your rapid destruction. In my case, I'm aware of a very slow destruction of systems and I fight it 100% everyday! I have 30 years left, lol. But you'll never know nerve pain, like I know nerve pain. Isn't that a song?

Let's face it... Zombies represent all those old people who are sick and dying before our very eyes, whose weakened and frail bodies hobbling the super market isles in a daze, smelling of flatulence and decay.

The Zombie genre fear factor is predicated upon the a vague notion that all human bodies get old and fail and die... Death- no one fully understands this dreaded reality, nonetheless to the vast majority who are oblivious and under educated it MUST be denied at any cost, as the reproduction imperative usually trumps existential notions and actions. The immature, the stupid, the teen-age mind perpetuates the zombie culture to assuage the realities of life/death that they should have learned if they'd been paying attentions in high school biology.

I'd like to read a horror story where the zombie eats his fill of brains and morphs back into a happy and healthy WASP; a living human being who at first is relived to be human again. And by reanimation, he would reveal (finally!) what the true nature of death is, or should I say 'undead is'.

As death is the ultimate in 'nothingness' I'd think the dead/undead character, returned to our USA human reality, would therefore see the existential nature of being human and therefore commit suicide... But the crux of our fiction story would be that having undergone the death/zombie experience, and then reanimation to humanness,  they could never die again no matter what. 

Eternal life... always to see the idiocy of human foibles forever, aware of the repetition of earthly horror, disasters, and the mendacity of politicians, the greed  of many humans world-wide and the idiocy of over-population where in the human experiment of nature (of God's plan. lol) is consuming itself. Now that is a horror story, a true hell, or a great comedy of errors never to be corrected! A never-ending ground-hogs day is what it would become. Our eternal live forever character would eventually suffer the lassitude and ennui suffered mostly by old and grumpy vampires... which is what many many old people suffer from.

We could also call these types die-hard Trump supporters, as they are apparently brain dead but refuse to die. Nevertheless, perhaps Trumpbies/Zombies have dreams of crazy men with orange hair, who speak of a promise land where everyone becomes an overnight billionaire, taxes are the thing of nightmares and no one falls down into a safety net that was never needed in the first place... dreams................... Perhaps we need kinder and gentler updated Zombie paradigm to keep this genre alive, as Hillery advocates.

6 (edited by mikejackson1127 2016-05-18 11:03:18)

You make some strong points, Max. Pretty dang funny ones, too. Your zombie story might work. And I'm hoping that a LOT of us will shovel many, many more ideas into this lot(after all, we want to produce not just one horror story)'til we've got more pages of prompts than there are pages in The Stand! And I'd say the prospective horror story/ies need not be largely horror(at least not all the time). That's why I unloaded all those goofball ideas above. My most recent horror tale post, Ghoulish Games, IS pretty damn ghoulish, but there is also a thread - albeit dark - of humor running through it. It's not exemplary writing or storytelling, but I think it might serve as one example of blending horror with humor. Jmho.
Mike

I have humor/ Zombie story: EXTREME ZOMBIE CHALLENGE by max keanu. I'll' make it available on site. It is also published on Amazon.

Cool! Thanks, Max.