Topic: Major problem

I've got to write this fast, my friends, so please bear with me. I'm at the library, and the pc "ate" my first post. That said, I hope things are much better with all of you. Maybe I'm deserving of the troubles I've been having lately. IDK. Cutting to the chase, my next-door-neighbors, two young punks, have been entering my condo unit for perhaps a month, maybe more. I don't really know what to do. Police. HOA. Etc. I'm feeling very put upon. I've never done anything to these guys, but for some weird reason, they have chosen me for one of their hobbies. And they enjoy letting me know they've been inside my unit. I'm going to be looking into other things, but I'm not optimistic about getting them out of my life. They're two punks and they apparently don't care about whatever trouble they cause.

I'm sorry for the anger in this post, but it's the best I can do for now. I've also got a serious back pain issue, and it's indeed SERIOUS. I'm going to the ER after I leave this library. I don't use a pc at home anymore.

Well, I just wanted to get current with all of you. Even though I've not been very busy on this site, I consider all of you friends!

Please pray for me, and whatever advice you have will be greatly welcome.

Take care and be well.

CHEERS!!!!

Mike

Re: Major problem

So sorry for your troubles, Mike. I hope you get it straightened out with those two, and most importantly, get your health back quickly. I'll be thinking of you.

Lauren

If you can, put in a few webcams and record their intrusions. Failing that, set up your laptop's camera in a common spot and let it record what it sees. Then show them to the police. They'll be taken care of in short order. The charge would be "home invasion" or at the very least "Malicious mischief:" depending on what they inside your condo.

Bill

And get a lawyer on your side.  If you can get a restraining order against them, a judge can punish them for contempt of court without the usual procedural hurdles.

https://youtu.be/3c584TGG7jQ

At a minimum, change the locks. And maybe get an alarm system, if you can afford one.

That's rough! Perhaps multiple locks will help. How are they breaking in?
George FLC

You said your neighbors told you they had been entering your home. Is there any evidence of that? 
Apparently, nothing is missing and they haven't trashed your apartment, so perhaps they're messing with your head. Have you loaned keys to anyone?

I hope you can resolve this problem soon.

How are they getting in there, Mike?  Do you leave your door unlocked, or do they have a key to your apartment?  I would start with changing the locks, or asking the person you rent from to change them.  The biggest thing is to prove they're in there.  Do you have a way to record them?  Or another neighbor who may have seen them? 

Hope you get some relief for your back.
Keep us informed.

MJ

10 (edited by B Douglas Slack 2022-07-14 14:49:27)

A while back I had a friend who lived in a condo. He found his neighbors were getting in through the ceiling paneling. Apparently, the entrance hall coat closet had a common wall with his neighbor. All they had to do was hike up into their closet, cross over, and drop down into his apartment. He caught them using a nanny-cam. called the cops, and had them arrested.

Bill

Prayers all the way around, Brother.

Don

12 (edited by Rachel Parsons 2022-07-16 18:26:55)

I knew an elderly man who had his house repeatedly broken into by the local high school kids for fun. He decided he had enough of it, so he waited in his rocking chair one night until they broke in. Shot one of them with his shotgun. As he was clearly in fear of his life, they were younger and stronger than he, and they were home invaders, no charges were laid against him. He had no trouble again for three years when a new group of kids decided to do the same thing and were newly minted high school kids; they hadn't heard about what happened the last time kids tried to invade his home. He repeated the process. Same results. He just has to do it every three years. Of course, I wouldn't recommend that. Get an alarm system, cameras, and trust to your local police. Best of luck.

Rachel's system works in a place like Florida where the law asserts a strong castle doctrine.  Even then, law enforcement and the prosecuters can make life hard for you.

The sheroff of one Florida county held a press conference a few weeks ago.  Somehow the topic of home invasion came up.  The sheriff said that in Floroda, you can shoot a home invader.  In fact, he encourages you to do so.  It makes things easier for them.

Many thanks, Lauren, as always. Yes, this is one of those a-gun's-pointed-at-you-and-there's-nothing-you-can-really-do situations. I will say that over the last few days or so, they've not been a thorn.

Thanks again, and God bless.

CHEERS!!!!

Mike

Many thanks, NJC, as always. First, I LOVE the Glitter Box vid! An engineer is the last thing I am, but...maybe I can come up with simple, yet effective ideas. I neglected to mention to e'one that they might have a camera of their own(Yep)and maybe listening devices too. If they have such, well, I don't know....
Thanks for the vid and all of your advice!
Take care and God bless!

Mike

16 (edited by mikejackson1127 2022-07-16 21:16:30)

Big thanks, Rachel, as always. Yeah, it's kinda tricky reg. how to deal with troublers like these. I think they might also have a camera or five and maybe listening devices. I say this 'cause sometimes it seems as though they say things I've said before, and 'cause some articles on HB report that a lot of these types DO listen and watch. If that's the case, I don't know exactly what I can do. Then again, as someone else told me, a GOOD deadbolt lock MIGHT keep them out. He rec'd that, cameras, and maybe a sec. system too. I can also(probably)talk with an attorney who specializes in this stuff. Then too, I'll need to see how they can be caught at evesdropping  and spying. 

Thanks again, Rachel, and God bless!

CHEERS!!!!

Mike

17 (edited by mikejackson1127 2022-07-16 21:27:38)

Big thanks, Marilyn, as always. I suspect they're getting in by using the old credit card trick. The locks in the condo are all (probably) original, and the building was finished in 1970... If not that way, perhaps they have experience as locksmiths, and they simply "pick" their way in. I wouldn't be surprised. But I agree with you and others here that new locks are very likely needed, no matter the cost.

I could also, very carefully, ask the HOA if there have been reports of B n E, package theft, etc.

Well, I finally went to see a chiropractor and he told me it could take a while for my back issue to go away. He wonders if there's a slipped disc. If so, he will want me to go my nearest VA hospital and get an MRI.

That said, I'm doing a little better today. He made some small adjustments with my back and that's partly why I'm better. He didn't want to do full adjustments yet because, he said, that would be too rough, considering my condition.

Thanks again, Marilyn, and God bless!

CHEERS!!!!

Mike

Many thanks, Dirk, as always. Yes, a alarm system and a GOOD deadbolt lock "should" work. I guess it's contingent upon their level of experience and slickness. I'll probably also talk to an atty who specializes in these kinds of problems. I can Probably get a free initial consultation. I'll see.

Thanks again, Dirk, and God bless!

CHEERS!!!!

Mike

Hi again, everybody. I will try to reply to the comments I can't get to, today, t'morrow, hopefully. My back's a little better, but it's still a long way from "normal".

God bless and be well!

CHEERS - no matter how life's "behaving".

Mike

20 (edited by Rachel Parsons 2022-07-17 17:58:33)

Well, Mike, you can always try this

"How to install a Texan Security System"
Go to Goodwill and buy a pair of size 14-16 men's work boots. Place them on your front porch along with a copy of Guns & Ammo magazine. Put four giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazines. Leave a note on your door that reads,
"Bubba. Me and Marcel, Donnie Ray, and Jimmy Eart went for more ammo and beer. Be back in an hour. Don't mess with the pit bulls. They got the mailman this morning and messed him up bad. I don't think Killer took part, but it was hard to tell from all the blood. Anyway, I locked all four of 'em in the house. Better wait outside. Be right back, Cooler."

Worked for us, except it was three Great Pyrenees and the blood was real. No work boots and no Guns and Ammo magazine, but one was named Killer, (actually Sixkiller). We circulated a rumor about it and haven't had a problem since.

HAHHAHA! How 'bout it, Rachel!? Sadly, it's too late for me to do that  :-(   I'm still thinking about things reg. this problem.

Mike

Thanks, Don. Yes, this decidedly calls for prayer  :-0  Hope you're doing well.

CHEERS AND GOD BLESS!!!!

Mike

Thanks, Nathan. Yeah, I pretty much agree that they're messing with me. Haven't loaned keys to anyone, yet they might be entering by the old credit card method. See, the locks are very likely original, and the building was put up in '70. So likely I'll be going with a deadbolt and a security system. Got lots of look-ups to do reg. this  :-0

CHEERS AND GOD BLESS!!!!

Mike

Oh, another thing, Nathan. One or both of them might have experience as a locksmith. I wouldn't be surprised. If THAT's the case.... But I'm going to look into this more.

Many thanks, Bill, as always. I'm going to try different things reg. this problem. I might have a deadbolt installed with a security system, or a deadbolt with cameras. The locks in the condo might very well be original, and the bdg. was put up in 1970. I'm not panicking. Like Nathan pointed out, it might be only a matter of these guys playing games. Still, I'd like it a great deal better if they'd find another hobby.

I recently read that there are some of these 'mind gamers' who spy on people with cameras and listening devices. I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case with me, but I wouldn't bet on the matter.

Thanks again, Bill, and be well.

CHEERS!!!!

Mike