Topic: Authors with Unique Writing Voices?

Can you recommend a book you've recently read that you feel the author has a unique writing voice? I'm interested in contemporary authors.

I've been writing a few hours every day for the past two years and recently finished the first draft of my high fantasy, sci-fi novel "Terra's Law." I have a keen interest in developing my writing voice. I just read "Writing Voice, The Complete Guide to Creating a Presence on the Page & Engaging Readers" from the editors of Writer's Digest, which is fantastic and a must-read for beginning writers. 

I'm reading "Salvation" by Peter Hamilton, "Imajica" by Clive Barker, and "Glory Road" by Robert Heinlein based on recommendations from friends.

Todd

Re: Authors with Unique Writing Voices?

I don't know how you feel about thrillers, especially military thrillers, but you might read the first book of any of the series' created by W. E. B. Griffin. I am currently on my third or fourth re-reading of his "Corps" series about the US Marines during WW2 and Korea. Tom Clancy is another great read. His descriptive style puts you right in the middle of the action. He passed away in 2013, but those that have picked up his style of writing. Although not the first in the series, I've always liked Rainbow Six as a techno-thriller with plenty of action.

Bill

3 (edited by njc 2022-02-24 04:34:47)

Melville Davisson Post's Uncle Abner stories.  Not quite contemporary, but worth a look for all the 'rules' broken.

Thanks for the feedback!
Bill, I love thrillers! I'm a former USMC sniper, so I'll check out W. E. B Griffin. I've read Clancy but not "Rainbow Six" and will read it.
njc, I'll check out Melville Davisson. Breaking rules is fun, but you have to be a pretty good writer to pull that off (I have a ways to go).

Uncle Abner is online.  Check out the courtroom scene in =Naboath's Vinyard=.