1 (edited by Dirk B. 2022-02-19 02:16:37)

Topic: Science Fiction and SCI-FI WRITERS groups going away

This is a heads up to anyone who isn't already aware that the Science Fiction and SCI-FI WRITERS groups will be going away in the first week of March. The recently renamed Fantasy, Magic, and Sci-fi group will take its place. The reason for this change is to eliminate redundant groups and give all science fiction and fantasy writers a single place to post their stories and a single, active forum to share ideas. For those with an interest in these genres, see the group description and Welcome thread of the surviving group for more information.

Please reply to this thread if you have any concerns.

Thanks
Dirk

Re: Science Fiction and SCI-FI WRITERS groups going away

Ya... One of the sci-fi groups should stay for those who adamantly don't want their work in fantasy

I can understand not wanting your sci-fi in a pure fantasy group, or a regular fiction group, but since the group is now fantasy and sci-fi, I feel it isn’t likely to be an issue. Plus, everyone’s more likely to get more feedback if we join up and the reader base for the genres has significant overlap. If the site population grows significantly maybe we can add a scifi group back in?

Orson Scott Card says that the principle difference is that one has rivets and the other has trees.  So ... can we make rivets grow on trees?

5 (edited by Dirk B. 2022-02-19 04:49:49)

If you insist, K.dot, we can name the surviving group Sci-fi & Fantasy. But I would check with Kenny about that first if I were you. He's the troublemaker with the warped sense of humor who wanted Fantasy first. tongue

Why don't you just call it Alternate Reality and you won't have to argue about who is in on first.  Take care. Vern

7 (edited by njc 2022-02-19 17:11:17)

Alternate reality sounds like either hallucinogens or politics.  Say, that might be a good pairing!

8 (edited by vern 2022-02-20 00:21:31)

njc wrote:

Alternate reality sounds like either hallucinogens or politics.  Say, that might be a good pairing!

Same thing. Now, who is on second? Take care. Vern

Per K.dot's request and with a nod from Sol, the Science Fiction group will be made private/hidden, but will not be deleted in case someone wants to try to revive it in the future. Assuming no further objections, only the SCI-FI WRITERS group will be deleted.

Thanks for the heads up. I was worried for a minute.

Even if a group gets deleted, it's easy enough to create a new one to replace it later.

But you lose all the forum threads ...

njc wrote:

Yes... and maybe the original members never rejoin the new group (*cough* Bimmy... hope you show).

njc wrote:

There's only been one new forum thread in Science Fiction in the past two years, and that was the one announcing that the group might be going away. Naturally, we'd all miss that thread if it were deleted. tongue

Last chance to squawk, folks, before we turn this over to Sol to implement.