Topic: The Chosen

I've been watching The Chosen. Sort of binge watching, actually. It's very good. From a writer's point of view it's very creative. Any thoughts on it?
George FLC

Re: The Chosen

I've watched most episodes of this at least once, though in no particular order as I rarely "sit down" to watch things. I keep it on about one night a week at work.

My thought is that they really do an excellent job where other biblical-based shows/movies fail. Other shows/movies focus on the grandiose miracles/special effects/dramatic events and have very little in the way of character/theme. Honestly I've seen nonbiblical completely unreligious movies/shows with more biblical themes than some movies that are meant to be based on scripture or that are put forward as Christian. I like that it lacks any great embellishments and relies on the good writing/good acting.

3 (edited by George FLC 2022-02-17 00:44:30)

I really like the fact that Jesus actually looks like he comes from the Mideast. I'm tired of northern European type Jesus types. He also is not flashy or glamorous. He's an average looking kind of guy. In fact, many of the people are not European looking. That is very good.

I still have the tab open on my browser (one of dozens) to watch it but have been too distracted by personal matters and my own writing to finish watching it. I really have to make time now since I'm in the middle of my chapters based on the Gospels. Connor's visited Bethlehem, Nazareth, two possible baptism sites, and now the Sea of Galilee (where I'll spend several chapters).

I just finished episode 6 (the healing of the leper and the paralytic). The series's portrayal of Nicodemus is quite sympathetic so far.

That was a good episode. They're all good! I really like OCD Matthew. And Quintus (nasty Roman dude) is very good as well. It's been a while since I've looked at them for any length of time.

7 (edited by George FLC 2022-02-19 00:53:02)

One of the aspects that I really like about the Chosen is that it shows how much Jesus was not afraid to associated with monsters like tax collectors, prostitutes, corrupt people, Romans. Jesus hung with them all. I can be a monster sometimes, too. I tried to capture that aspect in my contest story. I'm afraid that I turned too hard and fast between the humorous beginning and super serious ending. I'll try to soften it. I'm also trying to capture that 'association with monsters' with my book but it's much more subtle and slower developing. Anyways, Jesus hung with the lower ends of society and the Chosen captures that quite well.

8 (edited by Dirk B. 2022-02-19 01:53:45)

Your post brought the following video to mind. It's about a new pastor who pretended to be a homeless person at his new church to see how his congregation would react.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGt8Lnhgrz8

Thanks, Dirk. Very good video. I wonder how many people came back the next week.

Episode 7
Jesus: We're going to a dinner party.
Matthew: I'm not welcome at dinner parties.
Jesus: That won't be a problem tonight. You're the host.

That was funny. It's interesting that Nicodemus was converted so quickly, yet Simon/Peter still hasn't gotten with the program.

Nicodemas has been seeing proofs (Mary Magdalene and the cripple) and the discussion with Jesus solidifies it. Nicodemas shows up in Chapter 8, and it's interesting. And, yes, Simon/Peter has issues. Just wait! BTW, make sure that you watch the very beginnings of the shows. They often do a historical background that relates to the current show. Chapter 8 starts in 1952 BC. And I like the dinner party coming up.

Just watched episode 3 of season 2, where they sit around the campfire talking while Jesus is nearby healing people. Boy, that Simon is an unsympathetic character so far. Everyone was picking on Matthew, and it's understandable, but I'd rather dine with the tax collector than Simon. I'm sure that will change.

I agree, the writers don't deal with this well. One would think that Jesus would say something to them. He does try to team Simon and Matthew up a couple times. But Simon acts like a real jerk and Jesus doesn't confront it much. A couple few episodes down the road, he begins to see Matthew in a different light. Simon wasn't described in scripture as a perfect man. However, it would be good if more was written by the Chosen writers.

As much as I'm enjoying this series, I hope they're sufficiently well-funded to finish it. I'd hate for this to be cut short.

Season 3 is fully funded and season 4 is 16% funded. Seasons 5 - 7 are not funded at all. What did you think of the sermon on the mount?

Jesus is still working on the sermon. I assume it's coming up soon. He just healed the paralytic at the pool. This was also the episode featuring John the Baptist. And I love when Jesus ordered the demon out of the man with just a simple command. It was interesting though because the demon gave his name as a member of a legion, but not Legion. I assume that's because the demons are organized into legions.

Good question! I think that there was just such a large number of them. The Roman Legions averaged about 5000 men. This dude had some issues!

Finished the second season. It's too bad they didn't show him giving the sermon. I would've liked to see him handle hecklers from among the Pharisees.

19 (edited by George FLC 2022-04-14 22:40:14)

It was really good how He went over the main themes of the initial sermon. But a little walking through the crowd and dealing with those who oppose him would have been good.
How did you like the way they introduced Judas?! He sure seems nice!

It surprised me how they introduced him. Of the two "entrepreneurs", he seemed like the more decent of the two. It'll be interesting to see what explanation they eventually come up with for him turning against Jesus.

The only good betrayal theory that I've heard is that Judas loved money. And he always saw Jesus escape from the authorities. I did NOT like that way the Romans managed to capture Him in the second season. Biblically, they tried to capture him and never did. So, in Judas' mind he thinks 'I'll get 30 pieces of silver by telling the authorities where Jesus is and Jesus will escape like he always does!' But he did not escape and Judas was very remorseful. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.