Topic: Favorite writing quotes

I came across this today and thought I’d share.

The first draft is like walking down stairs: You’ve taken the reader from one point to the next, but each step takes too much deliberate effort. Keep revising, draft after draft, until every sentence, paragraph, and page flows seamlessly into the next. By the end of your revisions, the story should feel more like falling down a slide, easy and smooth. When I’ve reached that stage, I know the book is ready to submit.
~ T.M. Blanchet

Do you have any favorite quotes or advice?

Happy writing!

Re: Favorite writing quotes

I met Margaret Weiss at a gaming convention in the early 1980s. She gave me a bit of advice that she said every writer should know and take to heart.

"The number one rule of writing is this: Don't give up your day job."  -- Margaret Weiss

No truer words have ever been spoken.

Bobbie

3 (edited by Dirk B. 2022-05-13 01:40:57)

Lauren (CB Laurence) wrote:

The first draft is like walking down stairs: You’ve taken the reader from one point to the next, but each step takes too much deliberate effort. Keep revising, draft after draft, until every sentence, paragraph, and page flows seamlessly into the next. By the end of your revisions, the story should feel more like falling down a slide, easy and smooth. When I’ve reached that stage, I know the book is ready to submit.
~ T.M. Blanchet

My writing process is more like walking upstairs, then hurtling myself down. :-)

This is the best advice I've ever read about writing:

If a writer of prose knows enough of what he is writing about he may omit things that he knows and the reader, if the writer is writing truly enough, will have a feeling of those things as strongly as though the writer had stated them. The dignity of movement of an ice-berg is due to only one-eighth of it being above water. A writer who omits things because he does not know them only makes hollow places in his writing.
—Ernest Hemingway in Death in the Afternoon
smile

dagny wrote:

This is the best advice I've ever read about writing:

If a writer of prose knows enough of what he is writing about he may omit things that he knows and the reader, if the writer is writing truly enough, will have a feeling of those things as strongly as though the writer had stated them. The dignity of movement of an ice-berg is due to only one-eighth of it being above water. A writer who omits things because he does not know them only makes hollow places in his writing.
—Ernest Hemingway in Death in the Afternoon
smile

Interesting! This means that I have to research even more...

"If I waited for perfection...I would never write a word." ~ Margaret Atwood

My primary profession is music composition and guitar performance. And what applies to my music also applies to my writing in many instances. If perfection is the only acceptable ending, hardly a song would ever have been heard. The same goes for writing. Perfection is a nice goal but normally unattainable. Excellence, however, can be attained with hard work tenacity.

Sideman wrote:

"If I waited for perfection...I would never write a word." ~ Margaret Atwood

My primary profession is music composition and guitar performance. And what applies to my music also applies to my writing in many instances. If perfection is the only acceptable ending, hardly a song would ever have been heard. The same goes for writing. Perfection is a nice goal but normally unattainable. Excellence, however, can be attained with hard work tenacity.

Thanks

I ain't never read or wrote a perfect story, but I'm sure it's just over the next hill at the end of that rainbow. Take care. Vern

"Some folks ask me where I get the ideas for my writing.  I tell them I just get up in the morning, make a pot of coffee, light a big cigar, then sit down and start lying.   ~~ Mark Twain

(My all-time favorite quote.)
MJ

Marilyn Johnson wrote:

"Some folks ask me where I get the ideas for my writing.  I tell them I just get up in the morning, make a pot of coffee, light a big cigar, then sit down and start lying.   ~~ Mark Twain

(My all-time favorite quote.)
MJ

I like it! smile

11 (edited by Dirk B. 2022-05-14 19:09:28)

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." -Isaac Asimov

I keep laughing at Douglas Adams quote. Because it's true.

Both quotes are great!

“I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter.” ― James Mitchner
smile

“It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment? For the moment passes, it is forgotten; the mood is gone; life itself is gone. That is where the writer scores over his fellows: he catches the changes of his mind on the hop. Growth is exciting; growth is dynamic and alarming. Growth of the soul, growth of the mind.”  Vita Sackville-West

MT