Competition, Rules, and Regulations
The Strongest Start Book Competition 2023
Official Competition Rules and Regulations
1. OPEN ONLY TO REGISTERED MEMBERS OF THENEXTBIGWRITER.COM
Members of theNextBigWriter.com may enter the Competition by:
The start of the competition is December 4, 2022. The deadline to submit an entry to the Competition is 11:59 PM ET on May 4, 2023.
All work posted to the sites by members is the sole responsibility of the submitting person. Entrants are entirely responsible for all content posted or otherwise made available via the sites. Sponsor reserves the right to declare any entries determined to not be in accordance with the stated terms of theNextBigWriter Member Agreement.
2. Judging and Winner Selection: The Competition will judge the first three chapters only of the submitted books. Non-fiction books are allowed. Writers are not required to submit additional chapters and are not required to have completed additional chapters. The winners will be selected according to a two-round process:
Round I: Six book finalists will be chosen.
Six finalists for the Competition will be chosen by the site's Editorial Team. Sole discretion for choosing the finalists rests with the Editorial Team. All editorial decisions and procedures relating to this Contest are final. The editors will be looking for the most compelling, difficult to put down first three chapters. All judges will be asked to evaluate how interested they are in moving onto the next chapters if they existed. Any styles and genres are welcome in the Competition as long as the submission complies with the site's member agreement.
The deadline to submit material for Round I is May 4, 2023. The names of the six finalists in the Competition will be posted on TheNextBigWriter.com approximately four weeks later.
Round II: The manuscripts of the six finalists will be reviewed by the TheNextBigWriter Editorial Team. The judges will be asked to evaluate how interested they would be in continuing onto Chapter 4, if it existed. This is the main criteria for judging the submission although grammar and punctuation will also be judging factors.
The winners will be announced approximately 2 weeks after the finalists are announced.
Grand Prize Winner
Two runner-ups will receive:
No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. No transfer or substitution of prizes permitted. Winners are solely responsible for all applicable federal, state, or local taxes on the value of their prizes. Winners are responsible for all costs or expenses not specifically exempted herein. By accepting a prize, each winner agrees to the release of his/her name or pen name for potential publicity purposes, where permitted by law.
5. Limitation of Liability: Sponsor is not responsible for typographical errors in any contest-related materials; or for any individual's inability to enter this contest, including but not limited to unavailable network, server, telephone, or other connections; failed software or hardware transmissions; other errors of any kind, whether human, mechanical, or electronic, including lost, late, incomplete, damaged, or misdirected entries; or for any damage to any computer related to or resulting from participation. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or modify contest if fraud or technical failures compromise the integrity of the contest as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In the event that the contest is terminated, all eligible entries received before termination will be ranked. Entrants agree that the Sponsors, their promotion partners, related companies, agencies, and their respective employees or officers shall not be liable for injury, losses, damages or costs of any kind resulting from participation in this contest or acceptance of or use or misuse of a prize or parts thereof. By entering, participants agree to be bound by these official rules.
6. Winners List: For a list of winners send a postcard, only, with your name and address to: TheNextBigWriter Best Start Novel Competition Awards Winners List, P.O. Box 610383, Newton, MA 02461. Winners will also be posted on theNextBigWriter.com website as they are determined.
7. Sponsor: theNextBigWriter, LLC, P.O. Box 610383, Newton, MA 02461.