Official Competition Rules and Regulations
1. OPEN ONLY TO REGISTERED MEMBERS OF THENEXTBIGWRITER.COM. TO ENTER.
Not a member? Learn more about joining.
Writing members of theNextBigWriter.com may enter by:
- Posting their entry on theNextBigWriter.com site, anytime during the Contest period. The short story must include the tags Great Moment Sports (entered as great_moment_sports) in it.
The challenge of this writing contest is to create the most interesting essay on a great moment in sports. See the links below for some examples of great sporting moments.
Google "great moments in sports" for other ideas.
Each piece must be longer than 1,000 words and shorter than 5,000 words. The winner will receive a $150 in cash.
The deadline for the Contest is 11:59 PM ET on January 31, 2012. All submitted work must be received by the deadline stated above to be eligible for the prize award.
All work posted to the site by members is the sole responsibility of the submitting person. Entrants are entirely responsible for all content posted or otherwise made available via the site. Sponsor reserves the right to declare any entries determined to not be in accordance with the stated terms of theNextBigWriter Member Agreement ineligible for entry.
2. Rankings and Winner Selection: There will be one winner chosen. The judge for this contest is noted sports writer Saul Wisnia.
SAUL WISNIA is a former sports and news correspondent for The Washington Post and feature writer for The Boston Herald. He has authored, co-authored or contributed to numerous books on Boston baseball history, including his latest -- Fenway Park: The Centennial http://amzn.to/qWjQRS. His essays and articles have appeared in Sports Illustrated, Red Sox Magazine, and The Boston Globe, and he shares Fenway reflections in cyberspace at http://saulwisnia.blogspot.com/. Wisnia lives 6.78 miles from MLB's oldest ballpark and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or @saulwizz.
All editorial decisions and procedures relating to this Contest are final.
3. Prizes: The winner will receive a $150.
No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. No transfer or substitution of prizes permitted. By accepting a prize, each winner agrees to the release of his/her name, pen name, likeness, and city and state of residence for potential publicity purposes, where permitted by law.
5. Limitation of Liability: Sponsor is not responsible for typographical errors in any contest-related materials; or for any individual's inability to enter this contest, including but not limited to unavailable network, server, telephone, or other connections; failed software or hardware transmissions; other errors of any kind, whether human, mechanical, or electronic, including lost, late, incomplete, damaged, or misdirected entries; or for any damage to any computer related to or resulting from participation. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or modify contest if fraud or technical failures compromise the integrity of the contest as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In the event that the contest is terminated, all eligible entries received before termination will be ranked. Entrants agree that the Sponsor, its promotion partners, related companies, agencies, and their respective employees or officers shall not be liable for injury, losses, damages or costs of any kind resulting from participation in this contest or acceptance of or use or misuse of a prize or parts thereof. By entering, participants agree to be bound by these official rules.
6. Winners List: For a list of winners send a postcard, only, with your name and address to: theNextBigWriter Awards Winners List, P.O. Box 610383, Newton, MA 02461. Winners will also be posted on theNextBigWriter.com website as they are determined.
7. Sponsor: theNextBigWriter, LLC, P.O. Box 610383, Newton, MA 02461.